Scania update the "R-Series"

Caporegime
Scania have given their R Series a mid term facelift, I think these things will become a common sight on the UK's roads.

Not sure if Stobart have any on order (probable) I'll be making some enquiries tomorrow with my fingers crossed.....
- "Driver support" - I can see this getting disabled by most drivers! :D

More video's found here. :) http://www.youtube.com/user/ScaniaGroup

One interesting feature is they have got rid of the clutch pedal, whilst current Scanias have an automatic option, you still need the clutch to pull away & when coming to a stop. I hope this new automated clutch is better than that found in DAF's for example. Time will tell.

http://www3.scania.com/en/New-R-series/International/ - Quite a cool site! :cool:

http://www.scania.com/media/calendar/2009/new-scania-r-series.aspx

http://www3.scania.com/en/New-R-series/International/Gallery/# lots of images....

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Associate
Achievement Unlocked:
"Well Anticipated!"

How do you link it to your Xbox Live account? ;)

Will you be driving one then if they're added to your fleet?

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Ive never liked the Idea of being the Crumple zone my self :p

Do you ever get bored of truck driving R420LA6X2/4MNA?

I personally am starting to go mad after 14 months of it, Although i drive **** heap dump trucks up and down trhe same hill every day. :p :(

Associate
First time I get sent out in one of these I will now see it as a personal challenge to get the lowest score possible. lol

I like the styling guys choice of words "revolutionary styling change" I think he needs new glasses.

Soldato
We get rid of our trucks on "buyback" every three years.

Things I have found as a trucker driving Daf's Scanias Renaults Mercs & volvos

Daf's:
Resistant to cross winds (heavy cab ?)
Auto box lurches when reversing
Handling = Solid
Seating = adequate
Vision = Poor mirror vision
Built quality = Solid
conclusion: Does what it says on the tin

Renault:
CRAP in cross winds.. Quiver all over the place ( Light Cab ?)
Brilliant Reversing steering ratio .. Get it in anywhere easily
Autobox = one of the best..if not THE best
Handling = Good
Seating = good
Vision = Very good.. Electric mirrors so can adjust when reversing on blind side.
Build Quality = Does that exist ? Always something (intermittently) wrong
conclusion: cheaper truck and shows but does the job adequately. Wouldn't want to keep it far past guarantee though.

Scania
Cross winds = in between Daf & Renault
Auto gearbox tends to change up too early meaning you switch into "Semi-auto" mode to thrash it up to speed. Tend to forget to press the clutch in when stopping as you only use the clutch to start & stop. Clutch good for reversing though.
Handling = Top heavy
Steering ratio UBER crap for reversing.. Spin that wheel Dooper Dog !!
Seating = Scania were embroiled in a lawsuit over seating. Seating in Scanias been good for past three years (as a result ?)
Vision = Mirrors same as Renault providing you got the model that allows nearside electric adjustment
Build Quality = FIRST RATE
Choice truck for Paddies & Owner drivers as Speed limiter can be donked by simply pulling a fuse (Duelled with indicators).

Mercs:
Actros = Good ( Long time since I drove one)
Axx0r = Hahahahahahaaaaaa (Your boss REALLY hates you)

Volvo

Good (Long time since I drove one)

Soldato
Have to ask, r420, i've seen you post a load about lorrys on motors. I have to ask, do you drive lorry for a living or is it a hobby?

He works at James Irlam I think, or Stobart? But it's definitely a hobby - most of the drivers where I used to work at TNT were not the slightest bit interested in the truck itself.

Back
Top Bottom