Not just light painting... anyone tried Parabolas?

Caporegime
Focus should be the easy part (used to focusing in the dark), but how do you go about swinging it? Getting an LED on the end of a piece of string?

Soldato
I've cropped some of them because I think they looked better...

dsc0011s.jpg

dsc00112r.jpg

dsc0012t.jpg

dsc0013po.jpg

dsc0018g.jpg

dsc0019ey.jpg

Soldato
Makes me wonder, why is it that the effect and trace of the light, the shadows, the immitation of catchlights and so on, looks exactly like it would if there were a single constant light source, like Mark A's last image, it looks basically as it would have had there been a central light source, rather than a moving, slowly layering 'light'. How very odd, 'mazin.

Associate
these are brilliant, but would i be able to do it with my camera? i clicked it to manual mode but it only allows me to do 30seconds max, it doest have full bulb mode.

Man of Honour
You should be able to have a reasonable attempt, I've managed OK with 30s bulb exposures. What you won't be able to do is get a really long trail like Nutster's second one.

Speaking of which, Nutster is that second one just a really long (as in time) eliptical swing? I can't work out how you got the spiral arm look...

Associate
You should be able to have a reasonable attempt, I've managed OK with 30s bulb exposures. What you won't be able to do is get a really long trail like Nutster's second one.

Speaking of which, Nutster is that second one just a really long (as in time) eliptical swing? I can't work out how you got the spiral arm look...

I really quite like the effect I managed. They're both the same light, just one is a lot longer exposure. The EXIF's are in those pics.

I love the fact that the ligh intensity is different around the image, giving graduations along the lines, and a bit of depth. I think this was due to the light I was using.

It was an LED pen, that I took the front nib part off. The LED was receded back inside the cylindrical case, so as it swung at different angles, more or less of the blue LED was visible, which gave my light trails their varying look.

Hope that makes sense. I'm gonna try a few more techniques next weekend.

Last edited:
Soldato
I really quite like the effect I managed. They're both the same light, just one is a lot longer exposure. The EXIF's are in those pics.

I love the fact that the ligh intensity is different around the image, giving graduations along the lines, and a bit of depth. I think this was due to the light I was using.

It was an LED pen, that I took the front nib part off. The LED was receded back inside the cylindrical case, so as it swung at different angles, more or less of the blue LED was visible, which gave my light trails their varying look.

Hope that makes sense. I'm gonna try a few more techniques next weekend.

Is it not a multi-led torch then? I cant get my head around how you get the criss cross effect. Looks similar to Fstop11s but he said he used multiple leds.

Some of these would make great desktop images.

Soldato
I may give his a try at the weekend, I have an idea or two but I'll have to pick up a remote release and find a few LED lights first :D

Back
Top Bottom