Scared of brand new bike - follow up

Permabanned
So got on the bike yesterday -- and is an interesting story really I promised I'd let you bikers know -- I am the bloke who has been scared of this bike for ages but was told to 'man up'.

Firstly, I was intending to go round my local housing estate for hours. But as soon as the key was in I noticed it was virtually out of petrol (with 0.2 miles on the clock) -- so I had to go straight to the garage!

After that -- the ONLY way out of the garage was on to the A3 - I physically could not get back to the safety of the housing estate! The A3 was rammed with traffic flying past me at about 60mph! Less than .2 miles on the clock! Never ridden alone before. Scared out of my noggin. It was a nightmare.

So, eventually I get out on to the road and accelerate faster than I've ever dared before. In between a lorry and a coach. Nice. Get up to 50 as fast as I dare (and discover the bike has 5 gears! woot!)
Then, with about .6 miles on the clock, suddenly, my visor flies off my helmet and somewhere behind me on the main road.

Instantly 50mph wind (and flies) smack into my face. My eyes water up. I've never before been on a bike without an instructor there. First 'brown moment'. I pull over where safe .. wander back -- and it turns out the visor wasn't attached to the helmet correctly. It's scratched. :(

Shove visor in back bit of bike (sort it out when I get home). Get back up to 50 and think 'I'M BLOODY FREEZING'. I forgot to put my gloves back on -- they're in the back of the bike!!

Think 'sod it' and get home with 2 stalls and plenty of dodgy pull-aways, and freezing hands. Oh, and indicating left for about 50% of the journey as I forgot to turn it off.

And, after all this, I BLOODY LOVE IT!! It is awesome with no instructor. Can't get enough. Off out again in a minute!!!! What was I scared about?

Associate
I forgot to put my gloves back on -- they're in the back of the bike!!

Think 'sod it' and get home with 2 stalls and plenty of dodgy pull-aways, and freezing hands.

:confused: Just pull over and put them back on, it isnt worth riding without some protection on your hands, they are usually the first thing to hit the deck!

Also make sure to sort your visor out before getting back on - fancy a stone in your eye at 50mph?

Take care & Enjoy :cool:

Soldato
i can vouch for the need to wear gloves... coming off at 30mph is bad enough for your hands, mine were burnt in the palms and had a fractured finger.

just make sure your safe and have fun!

StevenG

Soldato
I read your previous thread. Not a biker myself, always wanted to get my CBT though.

Good on ya for giving it a try and really glad your enjoying it! :D

Soldato
Think 'sod it' and get home with 2 stalls and plenty of dodgy pull-aways, and freezing hands. Oh, and indicating left for about 50% of the journey as I forgot to turn it off.

I think this pretty much describes everyone's first outing on a bike post-CBT. Possibly except for the freezing hands bit though :p

Associate
This reminds me of my first outting on my scooter after my CBT. Thought I would go for a quick trip to the local town so I check the route and set off. Was a fun journey involving sitting in the outside lane of a dual carriageway doing 34 (good old 50CC) with loads of cars beeping and swearing at me. Eventually I met some helpful binmen who pointed me in the right direction. I ended up completly lost and was riding around for about 3 hours before I found my way back home :D. Just made me want to do it more.

I think the first time out solo is always the worst, but being on a bike is one of the best experiences for feeling free. Hopefully I'll be able to get another one in the future.

Associate
sounds like a chilled out first ride :D
You have a lot to think about when you first start, i spent 15 minutes wondering why it kept stalling when i set off, then someone pointing out i was in 3rd :rolleyes:

Soldato
Sounds like a baptism by fire there, but glad you are going to keep at it :)

I had an off two weeks ago- I low-sided at 60 and did a belly slide for about 10-15 meters, put my hands out as a natural reaction and damaged both hands – left pinkie finger had bruising on the tendon and the right had a spiral break that was operated on last Thursday; so I now have a metal plate in my left wrist and three screws in my right hand pinkie finger.

Even after both of my accidents, I wanted to get straight back onto a bike; it’s such a great thing, that I can’t see myself ever giving it up!

Best of luck to you anyway fella.

Back
Top Bottom