Bought my first bike.....

Associate
Because if you're under 21 and take the test you are limited to 33bhp for 2 years, therefore you'll need a restricted bike. If you're 21 or over you can take the DAS and you wont need a restricted bike at all.

Was wondering about this actually (sorry for double post) but i took my restricted license at 20, when i turn 21 can i derestrict or would i have to retake my test on a +33bhp bike?

Soldato
Was wondering about this actually (sorry for double post) but i took my restricted license at 20, when i turn 21 can i derestrict or would i have to retake my test on a +33bhp bike?

still stands i think. i took my test at 20 so for 2 years i was supposed to have a restricted bike. it would be nice if the police actually asked you for the certificate when pulling you over so you knew you'd forgotten it. ;) not that i've ever done that. it's illegal. :eek::D

Man of Honour

To derestrict the bike you either have to wait until your two years are up or you can take the ful direct access test if you turn 21 and want to ride a full powered bike before the 2 years are up

Associate
still stands i think. i took my test at 20 so for 2 years i was supposed to have a restricted bike. it would be nice if the police actually asked you for the certificate when pulling you over so you knew you'd forgotten it. ;) not that i've ever done that. it's illegal. :eek::D

So your restriction "fell out"? ;)

Edit; Thanks Scuzi

Associate
I didn't have my CBT at the time but told them I'd get it before I got the bike.

This was what my original point was. Obviously that's all been cleared up above, but I'm still curious as to the legality of selling a bike knowing it'll be illegal once on public roads. If anyone knows anything I'd be interested.

Also, I took my test at 19, and bought a bandit 650 and had it restricted, the idea being that once my two years were up I'd get it derestricted. I didn't want to spent two years on a 125 and I didn't want to spend two years without a bike, therefore I had to get something and get it restricted.

Just a final thought, the owner of the shop sounds pleasant enough, but remember that is his job. If he can make a 125 sale now AND a bigger bike later down the road AND you're happy about the way things pan out, then surely he's done his business a massive favour. It's a little late now because you've already bought, and it seems like your £300 deal is quite good, but I would recommend looking carefully at the figures when choosing new over used. I bought new because it was the best decision for me in my circumstances, but it isn't always the best choice.

Soldato
I'd imagine it doesn't really matter if the seller know's it's going to be used illegally after they sell it, as they've sold it, and really it's the drivers/riders responsibility to have the correct documentation. But I'd also imagine it's up to the sellers discretion to refuse sale, if say case in point, someone goes in and asks for a hornet restricted, when they can only technically ride a 125, he should just say that's the law, not be a bit of a helmet about the situation.

I bought my bike without having a CBT, got the CBT and picked up the bike the day after, but theoretically I could have just bought the bike on the Saturday, turned up and rode off on the Tuesday, all the shop needed was my cover note to tax it for me, they didn't need my licence or my CBT certificate.

Associate
I got my bike with a view to doing my DAS, unfortunatly never got the money together and my CBT runs out next month :( But you'll definatly enjoy it, just watch out for the rest of the idiots on the road. Ive been cut up one to many times by people who dont look for bikes, luckily im usually quite cautious and touch wood nothing bad has happened yet.

Back
Top Bottom