I've been shooting naked men lately.....

Caporegime
For the past 3 weeks i have been shooting The Full Monty - the musical. This is my first time shooting in a threatre (normally it is forbidden), also my first time using a 70-200 lens for any real length of time. I got to say, i have learn a LOT about photography during this, both about my camera, the lens at that focal length, and about shooting technique in almost complete darkness!

Here are just a snapshot of what's in the play.

image5805.jpg

image5833.jpg

image5825.jpg

image5826.jpg

image5801.jpg

image5871.jpg

image5911.jpg

image5925.jpg

image6100.jpg

image6345.jpg

image6382.jpg

Soldato
At ISO4000, I love how sharp and almost noiseless they are!

I love them all, but I can't help but notice that the stage shots are all from the same position. Puts me off abit but the colours, focus and expressions makes me enjoy it more than being critical.

Caporegime
I like your style, shooting the Full Monty yet still managing to get a skantily clad lady as the second shot! :p

I bet the 5DII helped a lot in this shoot!

As for the photos some excellent shots, no. 19 especially. :)

EDIT: Didn't think to check the exif, ISO 4000 indeed, however what's going on with the last one, ISO 4000, f/2.8 and 1/2500"! I guess that was when they put all the lights on at the end?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
The exif went a bit bonkers. Not sure about the shutter speed, i know the focal length is wrong when it went above 150mm. I used an old Sigma 70-200 2.8, and the 5Dii doesn't know "it" so some shots the focal length is registered at 456mm...I wish my hands are THAT steady !.

I shot most of them from that position is because that is the best spot to shoot the play from seeing it 5 times beforehand. I can't keep getting up and move around too much as I'll miss moments in the play too easily, so I picked a spot, and stuck to it.

EDIT - Oh yes, I know one of the girls in the play (It was her who invited me to shoot it) so i got an all access pass to the girl's dressing room :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow, great work Raymond. Looks like you have dealt with the condition superbly well!

I must say I did also notice that all of the shots were from the same position, but I expect you weren't really able to move about during the show.

You captured some great moments, and you sold the play to me, it looks like great fun :D

Associate
So, in a nutshell have you basically been able to produce these nice sharp images because of a very high ISO setting? or is there a lot more to low-light shooting that you could share?

did you maybe use noise ninja in PP also?

Caporegime
OP
So, in a nutshell have you basically been able to produce these nice sharp images because of a very high ISO setting? or is there a lot more to low-light shooting that you could share?

did you maybe use noise ninja in PP also?

I don't think this would be possible without the 5Dii, i tried the 30D with 1 shot on another night and it just look horrid at 3200 ISO. I basically had to shoot at ISO 4000 at 1/200 at 2.8 a lot of the time. I did not use Noise Ninja in any photos, they are all straight out of Lightroom.

Thanks SS, I could move during the show and I did to a small extent for some shots. But it wasn't easy to move and then sit down and get into a position where I can lodge my foot against the seat in front to get steady in a short amount of time without missing a shot, so I picked a spot and shot the moments.

Caporegime
OP
Well as I said, you did a fantastic job :)

Will they be using the shots for any promotion or marketing? Or maybe an opportunity to get some published in a local paper or something?

It's mainly done for the cast, they normally have an older gentleman who does it, he's on holiday this time and Becky has asked me to fill in. So I thought if I am going to do it, i'll do it properly.

The photos are being sold to the cast, and came out in both local newspaper this week (one didn't give me credit dammit). And the pics will be used in the Threatre company's future promotion material no doubt, with credit as agreed with the Director.

Back
Top Bottom