How often do you use full Manual control on your SLR

Soldato
Whenever i'm in the studio or location using flash.. So quite a lot really!

If it's for snap shots or general mulling around it's always in AV. The aperture has the single biggest effect (when only using ambient light) of your 3 adjustments. It is a compositional choice as well as a technical one. As long as the shutter is fast enough to produce a sharp picture (Unless you're deliberately going for motion blur, but i'de argue that style is by far in the minority for most) you really want to be controlling your depth of feild. Leaving your aperture upto it's own devices is a bad idea IMO.

Soldato
majority of my shots are Av cos of the football coverage I'm doing although I'm leaning towards Tv in the winter months to get the minimum shutter speed and altering images in PS afterwards as most shots will be underexposed.

Rest of the time I will use manual. Although i haven't used my camera much outwith the footy times recently :(

Associate
A: 90%
M: 10%

The aperture controls the depth of field, which is something I want to define as a user depending on the photo. I'm happy to let the camera decide shutter speed for a defined ISO to get the an exposed photo :)

M for when I'm trying to something out of the ordinary like fireworks or trying to get to grips with the flash.

Soldato
Av 80%
M 20%
Tv 0%

Only use M when in a controlled lighting situation, ie. closed room with permenent constant light source, or FLASH !

This pretty much, Av for normal shooting, M for awkward light where the metering is thrown off, or for just playing round trying new things.

Only time I used Tv was when I was practising panning.

I've paid for a decent camera where canon have invested huge amounts of money to make the camera meter quickly and correctly, it makes sense to me that I take advantage of this. Then again, if there are situations it is thrown out then I can always fall back on manual.

Soldato
I've paid for a decent camera where canon have invested huge amounts of money to make the camera meter quickly and correctly, it makes sense to me that I take advantage of this. Then again, if there are situations it is thrown out then I can always fall back on manual.

You can still make use of the metering in Manual mode cant you? On my D80 there is an exposure scale visible when you look into the viewfinder. I usually choose my aperture then roughly guess where the shutter speed should be. Then look through the viewfinder and fine tune the shutter speed until its correctly exposed according to the camera.

The reason i use Manual is that most of the time the camera doesn't get it spot on and i need to make changes to the shutter speed to get it exposed how i want.

I understand this is what Exposure compensation is for when using the program modes but doesn't that just boost the exposure digitally? I'd be afraid of it introducing noise into the picture.

Theres still a lot i need to learn though, I just find it really hard to read manuals etc, i don't take any of the info in.

Soldato
You can still make use of the metering in Manual mode cant you? On my D80 there is an exposure scale visible when you look into the viewfinder. I usually choose my aperture then roughly guess where the shutter speed should be. Then look through the viewfinder and fine tune the shutter speed until its correctly exposed according to the camera.

The reason i use Manual is that most of the time the camera doesn't get it spot on and i need to make changes to the shutter speed to get it exposed how i want.

I understand this is what Exposure compensation is for when using the program modes but doesn't that just boost the exposure digitally? I'd be afraid of it introducing noise into the picture.

Theres still a lot i need to learn though, I just find it really hard to read manuals etc, i don't take any of the info in.

I'm with Mark A on this one, i thought it was all about taking pics yourself, i went from going on auto to using manual for everything, it took me a couple of days to learn but now i'm realising that if i need to a faster shutter speed i need to either up iso or sort the aperture out. I do occasionally use auto for something quick but prefer doing everything manually myself.

However, after seeing some of the shots you guys pull and knowing its on AV (mostly!) i might try it a bit more :o

Caporegime
Can someone explain to a Nikon use what TV mode is?

I use A most of the time, and S for action shots, and M for things like fireworks ir lightning. :)

Canon - Nikon - Meaning
Av - A - Aperture Priorty
Tv - S - Shutter Priorty
M - M - Manual

This was one of the reason I chose a Nikon all those zears ago, more intutitive.;)

Soldato

Yes there is the exposure scale, but if I've decided I want to shoot at f/11, my camera can choose the shutter speed so that the scene is correctly exposed, or if I'm using the meter then I'll be selecting the same shutter speed but by hand instead - it'll just end up taking longer to get the same result.

I agree with what Adrianr posted earlier, I choose the apeture to get the result I want, and the shutter speed is then selected as a result of this.

As for exposure compensation, it just effects the settings used by the camera, if you were using settings of f/11 and ISO 100, with no compensation it might decide a shutter speed of 1/250. If it's been thrown off by a light source you might want to expose to make the photo a stop lighter, and dial it in, then the camera will take that into account and take the photo with a shutter speed of 1/125. It won't introduce any extra noise or anything.

Associate
AV: 95+ %

Rarely M or TV.

If I don't think that the camera is going to get it right, I often go for 7-stop bracketing. Always raw.

Andrew

Soldato
As for exposure compensation, it just effects the settings used by the camera, if you were using settings of f/11 and ISO 100, with no compensation it might decide a shutter speed of 1/250. If it's been thrown off by a light source you might want to expose to make the photo a stop lighter, and dial it in, then the camera will take that into account and take the photo with a shutter speed of 1/125. It won't introduce any extra noise or anything.

Thanks I didn't know that, still got loads to learn :). I'll have to have a play around with other modes. Its been set to M since the day i bought it.

Soldato
I use 90% on A, 10% on M. Will try and use M more often as I am still learning to strobe properly :)
Since moving to the E620, I've play a lot on the ART filters, allowing no PP, especially the grainy B&W, comes in very very handy. I can also do multiple exposure in camera, tried abit lately, need more experimenting.

Caporegime
Av ~ 75%
Tv ~ 3%
M ~ 22%

Av as standard then Tv for the occasional plane shot. M for the times I'm set up for a longish shoot such as sunset or controlled environments such as indoors.

P and even worse the green square(!) are evil things, I try and teach that to my dad but he never seems to want to learn! :p

Permabanned
mainly aparture priority, or auto if shooting something thats moving.

Not worked out exposures on the camera yet, i change them in lightroom but my monitors arent calibrated so they never come out on print the way they actually look!

Back
Top Bottom