Motorbikes With Centre Exhausts

Associate
Hi all :)

I recently aquired my full motorcycle license so have been looking around for a bike to replace my CBF125.

I'm quite liking the centre exhaust design feature that some models have. Specifically the Kawasaki ER-6f and Honda CB600RR.

The problem is I don't like the sports riding position of the CB600RR, so that isn't really an option.

I really like the look of the ER-6f, and it's upright riding position, but I'm told that the bike can vibrate and maybe it's the easiest to handle? Any advice or information on this bike from owners would be appreciated ;)

I'm also aware of the Honda Hornet, but I'm not liking the design of that one much to be honest.

I wondered if anyone could recommend any other centre exhaust bikes with an upright riding position? With a sporty look, like with the ER-6f.

Cheers :rolleyes:

Associate
The ER-6F is a great first bike, as to vibration, never felt that or heard of people mentioning it as an issue. They are dead simple to ride, possibly a tad un-engaging but with ~70bhp plenty quick enough to enjoy for some time.
I have a CBR600F - 1997 vintage, its about 2 inchs higher at the bars than the current RR's and is rideable all day with no issues - Im only 5'6" though!
What are you basing your choices on?
basically you need to go on a bunch of test rides - go to a big dealer of decent used sales shop and go on a few then make a more informed choice?

Soldato
It is mostly sportsbikes that have underseat exhausts.

You limit your choice of bikes by looking for this, especially as you don't get on with a sporty riding position.

Typical first big bike choices: Suzuki SV650, Kwak ER6, Honda Hornet.

Associate
OP
The ER-6F is a great first bike, as to vibration, never felt that or heard of people mentioning it as an issue. They are dead simple to ride, possibly a tad un-engaging but with ~70bhp plenty quick enough to enjoy for some time.
I have a CBR600F - 1997 vintage, its about 2 inchs higher at the bars than the current RR's and is rideable all day with no issues - Im only 5'6" though!
What are you basing your choices on?
basically you need to go on a bunch of test rides - go to a big dealer of decent used sales shop and go on a few then make a more informed choice?

I'm only 5' 5" myself :eek: They say good things come in small packages ;)

I'm basing my choices at the moment on firstly seat height. I was able to sit on the ER-6f half footed without the bike needing any adjustment. And looks, I like the design of the ER-6f, and the riding position. I'm a pretty inexperienced rider so haven't considered the bike's riding difficulty as much as I probably should...

If you're saying that you don't know of any vibration issues with the ER-6f maybe the guy who mentioned it hadn't aligned his wheels correctly or something :)

I'm just looking for something well designed, comfortable, and good for nipping in and out of traffic.

I sat on a 2009 CBF600 and it was just too high, so would need adjusting for me. It's a plainer looking bike that one I think. Plus the insurance is higher on one of those than for the ER-6f for some reason...

As you said, it might be best for me to find a used bike dealer and take a few test rides.

Associate
OP
ER-6f is a good little bike, cant say I noticed any vibration problems on my brothers bike though, brakes were good, handling felt good.
And it sounds awesome with a nice exhaust ;)

Thanks for the info. I think I'm sold on the ER-6f at the moment :)

Unless anyone else can throw more bikes with centre mounted exhausts into the pot.

Associate
No (standard) ER6F has a 'centre' mounted exhaust :confused: Unless your definition of centre doesn't equal mine, which is more commonly known as an under-seat exhaust...?

ER6F(&N) = under-slung (kinda) exhaust
CBR600RR = centre/under-seat exhaust

You're not confusing a Kawa ER6F with a Yamaha FZ6 are you? That has a centre exhaust.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
No (standard) ER6F has a 'centre' mounted exhaust :confused: Unless your definition of centre doesn't equal mine, which is more commonly known as an under-seat exhaust...?

ER6F(&N) = under-slung (kinda) exhaust
CBR600RR = centre/under-seat exhaust

It's central under the chasis, in front of the rear wheel:

ER6F.jpg

Associate
Ok. The confusing part was you mentioning a CBR6RR which has a centre exhaust, totally different to the ER6 ;)

The only other bike that I can think of that has a 'centre' (your definition ;)) exhaust would be the Yamaha XJ6 Diversion - http://www.yamaha-motor.co.uk/products/motorcycles/xj_series/xj6-abs.jsp
Also take a look at the KTM 690 Duke III which has its exhaust under the engine and a very friendly riding position - http://www.ktm690duke.com/

If you want under-seat exhausts you have got a lot more choice ;)

Edit - your location is listed as Midlands, so why not get yourself to the NEC Bike show if you're not already going?

Last edited:
Associate
Well my Dad recommends the FZ6. Hes over 60 and uses it to commute into London every day. Its a more relaxed riding positions that lends itself more towards commuting/touring than the more wrist heavy sports bikes.
Its worth getting yourself to a showroom and sitting on a few. See what your after.

Associate
OP
Ok. The confusing part was you mentioning a CBR6RR which has a centre exhaust, totally different to the ER6 ;)

I guess you'd say the CB600RR had an under seat exhaust:

CBR600R_large_01.jpg

But I wanted to include the under chasis one too.

I'm unsure of the terminology that would encompass both designs :)

Thanks for the links, I'll have a looksee now :)

Soldato
I got the new shape ER-6F in September, a few days after passing by full licence.

er6f.jpg

It is very simple and comfortable to ride, and the power at only 74 bhp is very manageable for a first bike. It has a lot of low down power, but only really comes to life above 6k rpm, up to 11k rpm in lower gears. The longest ride I've had unbroken was 2 hours, and I didn't experience any cramp or soreness. I'm 6'1".

Vibration did I hear plague the earlier model, but no such problems on this. One of the fasteners on the fairing came loose on it (fixed at first 600 mile service) and that caused some vibration at around 7k rpm, but once tightened it is fine. Speaking of the fairing, it works ok, but at my height you're going to get some blast from the wind once you get near to 100 mph. If you're a couple of inches or more shorter, you'll be fine.

I use mine mainly for commuting, although at this time of year it is just weekends only. It is very easy to drive through town stopping and starting - you can keep it in 2nd or 3rd and idle along if you don't want progress and instead simply just drive.

You WILL want something faster after a while though, but if you're commuting, it appears to be a very easy bike.

Soldato
Is a bike being easy to ride now a bad thing?

I had a versys, which is a variant of the er6. Was a nicely designed, really good value bike. It had very neutral weight distribution and was very comfortable to ride.

I can understand the vibration comments. You could feel it was a twin instead of a 4. But it was ony at low revs and wasn't an issue.

Associate
OP
Out of interest, how did you find the CBF125?

Some great looking bikes in the posts above!

Great bike. Looks nice, it's comfortable, and easy to handle :)

I did my CBT on one, then bought my own the following week :)

From there I did all my tests on it (CBT Plus, Mod 1, Mod 2 etc).

I accidently hit 80mph on it while slipstreaming a lorry down the A38 heading for my Mod 1 test :eek:
The wind was with me :D

I'm just looking for something with more poke now. So I can zip past cars when needed.
I'm not really concerned with top speed. It's quick bursts of stable acceleration I'm after :)

Soldato
Great, I am looking at getting one in the spring. Everyone says I will quickly become bored of it but I want to start on something small and gain some experience first.

Back
Top Bottom