Upgrade Advice

Associate
Hey guys!,

Was just posting for some advice on an upgrade I'm planning on making. First of all I'll list my current spec -

M2N4-SLI Motherboard
580Watt Hiper PSU
AMD 6000+ (3.0ghz) x2
4 GB DDR 667 Memory
Geforce 260 GTX 896mb

Now I'm not planning on a complete make over just yet as I'm not the richest of rich, However I was thinking about upgrading Mobo\CPU\Mem\PSU for future purposes.

I was wondering what everybody recomends within a budget of £380.

So far I've worked out through Overclockers -

**B Grade** Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P AMD 770 (Socket AM3) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard [GA-MA770T-UD3P]

AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 Black Edition 3.20GHz

OCZ Gold 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 Low-Voltage Dual Channel

Hiper HPU-4M670 Type M 670W ATX2.2 PSU - Black

Thats everything I'm looking to purchase comes to around £360. Now I'm not sure what the big deal between AMD and Intel is at the moment and whose top of the range, but it seems that for the high end intel processors I'm gunna have to pay a lot more for everything (Mobo and Ram) so I've decided to stick with AMD.

Also I was wondering what people thought of the PSU? I want one thats pretty future proof and 670watt seems to be a descent out to have for most cards out at the moment.

And FINALLY! I'm currently using a Geforce 260 GTX, is it worth getting an ATI 5850? there reasonably cheap so I might have alook after christmas.

If anybody has any advice I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks guys!

James

Associate
OP
haha! well this is the thing. I'm not having any problems really, my computer works fine except Crysis has been bugging me for years (as it did come out in 2007 and I still can't get what I consider to be descent frame rates at descent descent qualities). Its just not often I have money to spend and its the only hobby I really have so I thought I would take advantage of some new hardware. I thought it would be quite important to get a bigger PSU. I've been reading about a lot of the new graphics cards (295, 5800 and the 5900s) and it seems they demand at around 600-700 watts. Any thoughts?

MCH

MCH

Associate
i'd try and hold on a while , maybe even till the new intel multi-cores come out as ur current spec is quite nice.

Associate
OP
You guys reckon I should stick with what I got and get a new GFX card? What would provide a descent performance increase over the geforce 260 GTX 896 for £300?

This has got me all confused, the thing is I can stick around for the multicores... but there going to cost hundreds of pounds more and its gunna be about 10 years before any software actually uses them. ... hmmm

Man of Honour
That Hiper psu would be more than enough that 580w is its true power would max at about 640w but if you are going to replace it I would'nt buy Hiper I believe they gone out of business now

It is'nt. The Hiper's are incapable of outputting 580w let alone their claimed peak wattage. They only have 360w on the 12v rails as well.

OP, if you are going to change psu's for god's sake don't go from one Hiper to another especially as they have indeed gone out of business. Probably due to the number of RMA's for blown up psu's.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice guys, so what do you reckon is a descent psu brand? Im looking for about 650watt.... and Do you recomend upgrading to the components I listed? Or would it be a better decision to upgrade the graphics card? I use the machine mostly for gaming.

Back
Top Bottom