New iMac yellow tint issue?

Soldato
Yo,

Another iMac question, but I'm very close to grabbing a 27" Quad, but have been reading up on this yellow tint issue that a lot of the units seem to have?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=824940

Does anybody have anymore info on this? And do you have the problem? If so, how bad is it?

When you spend £1600 on a machine, I expect it not to be faulty, and a yellow tint issue like this would annoy me if I spent that much dough on the machine.

ta

Associate
It's not just the yellow tint on the screen thats a problem, there's also issues with screen flicker (apparently dodgy batch of graphics cards), cracked screens and noisy hard drives.

It's bloom'in annoying as I'm itching to pull the trigger on a 27" i5 or i7, but the more I read, the more I'm tempted to wait for a rev B.

Soldato
The Apple rule is wait till version two. As true with PPC as it is now with the current models and technologies.

Soldato
The other rule is don't visit macrumors, they will always find issues that you wouldn't otherwise notice :p

I made that mistake with my first alu macbook, everytime i read of issues i was checking mine!

Man of Honour
Saw the macrumors thread this morning before work. Didn't have long to test but yes, I could notice a slight yellowing towards the bottom left of the display using the test they link to. Slightly disappointing, but not enough to bother me on a daily basis. More concerning is that the post says it'll get worse over time (though how can they say this when the machines have only been available for a couple of weeks?!). Got the 3 years hardware warranty, so not concerned. If it starts to bother me I'll swap it. Can't understand why people are rushing to get theirs replaced right now when it seems the vast majority of current machines have the issue!

Associate
Revision 2 ? Do they have multiple revisions of the same hardware ?

Even if they do, no guarantee they won't bring new problems into the scene.

Don't forget that people generally only post on forums like macrumors / apple forums if they have a problem. Most imac owners are probably very happy and dont have a reason to post on the forums

Soldato
OP
Revision 2 ? Do they have multiple revisions of the same hardware ?

Even if they do, no guarantee they won't bring new problems into the scene.

Don't forget that people generally only post on forums like macrumors / apple forums if they have a problem. Most imac owners are probably very happy and dont have a reason to post on the forums

You could be right.

How does the AppleCare protection plan work though, so if I bought the 3 year extended plan, and I wanted to replace my faulty iMac, would I have to take it to my local Apple Store? Or is there any feature where they can come and collect and replace at the door with a new one?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

You could be right.

How does the AppleCare protection plan work though, so if I bought the 3 year extended plan, and I wanted to replace my faulty iMac, would I have to take it to my local Apple Store? Or is there any feature where they can come and collect and replace at the door with a new one?

If there is an Apple store locally, you'll be expected to take it in.

I've had them collect as my nearest one is 45 miles away. Call them.

Soldato
Always wait for the suckers to buy the first generation products!

That's what i live by anyway...

...says he with a first generation unibody 2.8....

What if it is a duff one? That's what the warranty is for? No?

Associate
got my 27" last week, it has the yellow tint problem at the bottom of the display, no flicker though.
I'll wait till the next revision before getting a replacement

Associate
i noticed it when i very first switched it on - when it displays the initial white screen.
I thought 'the bottom of the screen looks yellow', googled it, then found all the threads on macrumours.
TBH you can't notice it unless you have a white background.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I think i'm gonna wait for the next release of the iMacs, the yellow tint issue is bad enough, but the screen flickering problem looks awful, and that WOULD be unusable.

As soon as the next revisions are announced I'm gonna order a i7 online I think, after selling my Mac Pro I only have a MBP Mac left, and I miss a Mac desktop, so hopefully they will revise soon :rolleyes:

Associate
In Apple terms, does Rev B mean when the next updated iMac (I dunno in 6 - 8 months time) comes out or do they update as they go along? Surely they must solve some of these issues within that period of time with the current 1st gen hardware!??!

Soldato
Just buy it, if theres a problem send it back like any other product you would buy at any other retailer or online. I dont even know why this is a descussion?

Back
Top Bottom