BenQ G2420HDBL (LED Backlit) or BenQ G2420HD

Associate
Hi all

I have asked for my other thread to be closed as I have decided on buying a new monitor. Seriously considering the two in title and they are both roughly the same price. They are both HD 1920*1080, 5ms, 24",

The 'HDBL' LED Backlit:

Pros - LED Backlit

Cons - No HDCP, no HDMI port, no AMA technology

The 'HD' non-LED Backlit:

Pros - HDCP, 1x HDMI port, AMA technology

Cons - No LED backlighting technology

I hope its clear to see the dilemma here, so just one simple question, is having LED Backlighting worth it over other functionality, for anyone whos own a LED monitor, are they that much better over a standard monitor to warrant no HDMI etc?

Your opinions are much appreciated

Soldato
i have got the G2420HD and cant fault it.

i can see the other one being better but more money.

my monitor cost me £150.00 with free delivery and for the money it suits me and has a lovely picture.

Associate
OP
Hmm yeah, I think I am getting hung up too much on HDMI. I will at this present moment in time purely be using it for the PC, connected via DVI-D with my gfx card.

I do not actually own any HDMI devices presently so the need for a HDMI port is not necessary, I am just fretting about 'future proofing', and the thought that one day I *might* buy a PS3. Also from as far as I can tell I do not need HDCP compliance for solely pc use (somebody correct me if I am wrong?) and finally the AMA is a small technology I could probably live without, it just prevents so much ghosting as far as I can tell, but with 2/5ms this is not so much a problem anyway.

Hmmmm I think im selling the LED backlit monitor to myself, but argh I am still not sure :(

Associate
I just found myself in the same boat. Anybody got any answers?

From what I hear the picture is great on the BenQ G2420HD as it is plus it has the other features so that seems a safer option. Don't know how much better LED backlighting would make it. Don't need HDMI but are HDCP and AMA really that important as mentioned above?

Kind of need to make my mind up by Tuesday, any help would be good.

Cheers

Soldato
The colours on LED are fantastic, I'll say that, but not having an HDMI is pretty bad if you ever decide you want to use it for console gaming. You could always buy another one for that later on and run a dual monitor setup though :D

Associate
OP
Yeah no HDMI is not a big deal really, the monitor is £150, if I ever need it I can like you say get another or just sell and upgrade.

My finger is hovering over the buy button, just waiting to see if theres any more comments on the LED technology or about this monitor in general.

Associate
Hi all

I have asked for my other thread to be closed as I have decided on buying a new monitor. Seriously considering the two in title and they are both roughly the same price. They are both HD 1920*1080, 5ms, 24",

The 'HDBL' LED Backlit:

Pros - LED Backlit

Cons - No HDCP, no HDMI port, no AMA technology

The 'HD' non-LED Backlit:

Pros - HDCP, 1x HDMI port, AMA technology

Cons - No LED backlighting technology

I hope its clear to see the dilemma here, so just one simple question, is having LED Backlighting worth it over other functionality, for anyone whos own a LED monitor, are they that much better over a standard monitor to warrant no HDMI etc?

Your opinions are much appreciated

According to the Benq web site the LED G series is HDCP compliant, so no problem to set up a PS3 or DVD\Blu-ray player, just get yourself a HDMI to DVI-D converter or cable, (please note that all DVI cables are only capable of carrying a picture and not sound so a separate audio cable(s) will be required)

I’ve ordered the LED G2420HDBL should get it delivered sometime this week so should be able to give you my thoughts on it at the end of the week.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hey FiXiT,

Very interesting about the HDCP, I may be going blind though but can't seem to see it on their website! Link is here http://benq.co.uk/products/LCD/index.cfm/page/specifications/product/1157

If it does have HDCP then it is great news for the PS3 etc, as far as I am aware there is little to no difference in imagine quality between pure HDMI and HDMI/DVI-D adaptors, I believe they are exactely the same except HDMI is able to carry more 'data' and also carrys audio. As far as the data is concerned, at this present moment in time DVI-D is able to carry all the data from a PS3/PC etc, I just think HDMI gives more headroom for the future.

Only problem though with using a PS3 through DVI-D is that you would have to output the PS3 sound through USB? Not a big issue though, and as I say at this moment in time I will be buying the monitor for pc use only

Do let us know what you think of the monitor, will be great :)

Associate
Hi Xplo, if you go to the page you specified and click on Features then click on the LED monitor e-brochure it says on page 9 that The Benq G series is HDCP compliant to ensure the security of all digital content played on screen. As for the ps3, you can just use the phono leads that come with it to get sound, quite a number of vids on youtube about using HDMI to DVI cable\converter.

Associate
OP
Oops must have missed that, it just didnt list it in the specifications page you see, but it did for the non-led version! Did not know that about the PS3, the LED version is becoming more and more tempting now

Associate
Well my Benq G2420HDBL led monitor has been delivered and I’ve quickly set it up.
It came well packaged and the shiny black bezel and stand it protected in a type of plastic cling film. Comes with a vga cable but no DVI-D cable also in the box is a couple of basic setup manuals and a cd containing a more in-depth manual and program called auto key which is a test pattern to optimize your monitors auto-calibrate function. You can tilt the screen back and forwards but there’s no height adjustment nor no swivel from side to side.
The adjustment buttons are on the underside of the bezel and they are a little tricky to navigate, it’s quite frustrating at time when trying to adjust brightness\contrast etc, quite a number of times I accidently turned off the monitor when trying to adjust these setting.
Connections on the back are VGA, DVI-D and the power input. I can confirm that it’s HDCP compliant, I’ve connected my playstation 3 through a HDMI to DVI-D converter and it works perfect. Played Wipeout HD demo on it and it looked outstanding.
Colours are vibrant and contrast very good, managed to get some really deep blacks. Viewing the same colour horizontal remains constant across the screen but vertically I’ve noticed sometimes a type of gradient in the colour, so great for home standard use and gaming but not recommended for professional photo editing and graphics designers ( It’s still the ips panels for them boys but 3 time the price). All in all very happy with it so far.

Associate
OP
Fixit, thanks for the review, sounds like it is a good monitor considering the price then. I think I am going to go for it!

Associate
No Problem, any more question please ask and I’ll try and answer them the best I can, as you can tell from the short review I’m no monitor expert. The monitors I’ve compared it against that are all I’m my house are an old 19”crt monitor, a Benq E2200HD and the New Samsung SyncMaster P2450H, the colour and Blacks look a lot better on this “G2420HDBL” than on the over 2 lcd monitors.

Associate
I have the Benq G2420HDBL and this thing is amazing
im not too good on the details of this thing
but i can say it is worth the money
colours are amazing
sorry i cant help u more im not a professional on these but
buying this you will not be dissapointed

Associate
I also bought the Benq G2420HDBL (for £150). Now to be fair, this is my first LCD monitor. Previously, I've been using a 20inch Fujitsu CRT. Anyway, I'm finding it very difficult to fault this monitor; colours are very good, it's extremely bright, I'm not seeing any evidence of ghosting etc. There are VGA and DVI ports on the back (and apparently it's HDCP compliant - haven't had a chance to test that yet) and it's a really nice looking screen. Also, the screen is matte, which I definitely prefer. All in all, very impressed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom