• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Oak Ridge cans Nvidia Based Fermi Supercomputer

Permabanned
no, seriously, at start up of vista my icons was on screen straight away, not with 7, internet explorer opened faster on vista than 7

You're doing it wrong in that case.

Realistically, Vista and 7 are relatively similar in performance, they're essentially the same OS anyway.

The main difference now is that the base line of PC hardware is way up since the release of Vista.

Too many people tried installing Vista on PCs that shouldn't be running it, simply enough.

2 years on, PCs are cheaper and more powerful than they were in 2007. It's somewhat an "illusion" that 7 is so much faster than Vista, you're just comparing it to Vista on slower machines, to 7 on faster ones.

I prefer 7 of course, not due to the speed differences, the whole UI is just more user friendly in my opinion, the super bar, windows snaps and simple dragging of windows to maximise/restore makes a huge difference to me.

Caporegime
I wouldn't bother reading anything Charlie Demerjian says any more... despite having some credibility in the past he seems to be on some misguided personal crusade lately.

Lately? He has had zero credibility for around 3 years now, and is an industry joke and possible one of the most unpopular amd ridiculed tech journalists in the business.

Man of Honour
Lately? He has had zero credibility for around 3 years now, and is an industry joke and possible one of the most unpopular amd ridiculed tech journalists in the business.

Well I don't read his articles any more unless someone links to them...

Man of Honour
Got tired of the petulant, seemingly random rants before he started off on some crusade or other... thought it was more recent.

Soldato
You're doing it wrong in that case.

Realistically, Vista and 7 are relatively similar in performance, they're essentially the same OS anyway.

The main difference now is that the base line of PC hardware is way up since the release of Vista.

Too many people tried installing Vista on PCs that shouldn't be running it, simply enough.

2 years on, PCs are cheaper and more powerful than they were in 2007. It's somewhat an "illusion" that 7 is so much faster than Vista, you're just comparing it to Vista on slower machines, to 7 on faster ones.

I prefer 7 of course, not due to the speed differences, the whole UI is just more user friendly in my opinion, the super bar, windows snaps and simple dragging of windows to maximise/restore makes a huge difference to me.

my comparison is on the exact same hardware i was running vista on, i never said 7 is faster , i said the opposite, i think you may have misread my post;)

its too early for me too judge as i have not had 7 for long, there seems less popups in 7 but that was easy too sort in vista, and one thing that bugs me with 7 is the taskbar hiding icons straight away, such as realtemp, i then have to go and unhide them

Associate
just because its charlie doesnt mean its not true, though it does as its charlie re: nVidia it certainly cant be taken as true without a lot of verification

Associate
So is Charlie that guy who didn't get invited to some Nvidia press event, and promptly threw his rattle out of the pram? (Or am I thinking of somebody else?).

Caporegime
Good on you, they're garbage.

Care to highlight a few articles where he was wrong then, if everything he says is garbage?

Its so boring hearing this utter tripe from Nvidia fanboys, years ago when ATI were doing crap, he slated them mercilessly and would happily say Nvidia products were good. He happily has a go at AMD chips and happily says how good Intel's chips are.

Only someone who has only read his stuff in the past two years would think he was ONLY pro AMD, and completely anti Nvidia.

He posts articles, the majority of which are right, I've yet to see him claim with unwaivering certainty anything he isn't sure of, the things he says he's certain of, I can't find any which were inaccurate.

Its all well and good for Nvidia guys to run around saying he just hates Nvidia, but in 2 years IF Nvidia get something right and AMD screw up and Charlie happily lays into whatever mistake AMD makes, you'll suddenly claim he's accurate.

Again, this has been asked in multiple threads, for those who insist on hating Charlie and insist he has no creditability and is always wrong, link to something of his that was wrong.

Was he wrong about Fermi being late, at any stage, no, was he wrong about bumpgate, no, was he wrong 18 months ago when he said Nvidia were ditching chipsets, no.

Nvidia guys simply take everything negative as pure hate. yes he dislikes the CEO, largely because he lies flatout almost every single time he speaks, for instance when he promised Fermi would be out end of Nov, or when he said he had a Fermi in his hands on stage.

Charlie has always had a very good grasp on whats going on behind the scenes, and he's always let people know what he knows and what he thinks the info will mean for the future. He's much more often correct than wrong, which is better than most other news posters on the net. Fudo is wrong about 19 times a day, yet Charlie gets crap and Fudo doesn't, thats right, Fudo is a Nvidia lapdog.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

No one really cares if he likes or hates nvidia... people are tired of petty rants and tirades some better aimed than others and mostly seemingly on a whim... someone upset him in the last 2-3 years and he can't seem to let it go and get back to what he does well...

He does have some insight and does have connections... he has the skills to present objective and meaningful information even if some people will get hung up on certain source based aspects and be unable to look beyond that... but most of what hes has to say whether right or not is lost in the ranting.

Last edited:
Associate
I thought Vista was a decent operating system from the start but Win7 is definitely a lot more responsive. Win7 is obviously an incremental upgrade - and anyone that claims Vista was crap but Win7 is great is delusional - but to me it was definitely worth the upgrade.

Associate
yeah. its funny how many people think windows vista is the work of the devil and is completly awefull and how they would never touch it, but then they rave about windows 7 like its the next best thing since sliced bread?? haha. windows 7 is great tho. but windows vista is nowhere near as bad as people claim it to be :S

Back
Top Bottom