The IMDb Top 250 - 365 Challenge

Soldato
Shamelessly stealing an idea from NokkonWud, I'm going to attempt the IMDb Top 250 - 365 Challenge, which basically means I'm going to attempt to watch the IMDBb's top 250 films, as rated by users, in one year starting January 1st, 2010.

You're welcome to join me! Here's how it works:

• On the first of January I'll post of copy of the top 250 films as they appear on that day.
  • Set yourself a target of watching as many as possible.
  • If 250 in one year is a lot (well, that's pretty much a film every weekday) then try a target of the top 100, 100 out of the top 250 or perhaps try the top 50 for a decade lists.
  • Post your progress, reviews or personal blog posts of the films in this thread after you watch them.
  • ???
  • Profit

If you stumble into this thread after the first of January, don't worry, you can still give it a shot.

If you want to join in, post in this thread and let us know how many you think you're going to attempt.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
Great idea! I'd join in if it wasn't for the fact that 99% of films made before 1980 cause me to fall asleep within half an hour :p

Is there any way of getting a top xxx list of films on imdb after a certain time period so people like me with short attention spans can join in?

Associate
even if you've already seen them you still need to watch in 2010 ?

Surely the point is to watch all the highly rated movies you haven't seen so why would you watch the ones you have already seen?! :p

Im up for this...realistically though, 100-150 out of the 250 is more likely.

Soldato
OP
Great idea! I'd join in if it wasn't for the fact that 99% of films made before 1980 cause me to fall asleep within half an hour :p

Is there any way of getting a top xxx list of films on imdb after a certain time period so people like me with short attention spans can join in?

Expand your horizons :p Seriously though, yeah IMDB has top 50s for each decade you could try. I'll add them to the OP come the first.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/1980s
http://www.imdb.com/chart/1990s
http://www.imdb.com/chart/2000s

Associate
Surely the point is to watch all the highly rated movies you haven't seen so why would you watch the ones you have already seen?! :p

Im up for this...realistically though, 100-150 out of the 250 is more likely.

indeed hence my confusion, but as metioned why miss out on the truly great ones just because you've seen them.

just presumed it would be to some strict rules ..

Associate
Yeh I decided to start watching the IMDB 250 list a couple of months ago, but I decided to integrate the AFI top 100 (2007) list into as well as the IMDB list has some movies in it that aren't that good but are popular at the time and consequently leave out some good ones.

Going rather well, amazing how many of them are on the TV every week or so!!

daz

daz

Soldato
OK I've seen 120 out of the top 250 (just counted) so will do my best to see the other 130 over the next year... :o

Man of Honour
If you set up an IMDb account you can set up you own list and post a link for other people to view it.

Nearly all of us which tried this last year gave up pretty quickly. we all found you had to be in teh right mood to watch a film.

Soldato
I have 181 to see but I doubt I'll get through that many in a year. I'm going to aim to have seen all of the top 100 by 2011, I may confine myself to the top 50 though.

Will make sure I try and stick to this. I have 19/50 or 60/100 to see.

Associate
Why doesn't anyone try and watch the worst 100 rated films???
Would love to hear peoples views on them (couldn't really try it myself as at the moment Im lucky to watch a film a week)

Soldato
Currently set a goal of working through these myself but doubt I could do them all in a year if only because of monetary constraints.

Would be nice though if we do find good deals on the films to post where we find them (only of course when it does not contravene board rules).

Back
Top Bottom