HP LP2475w, IPS 24" Official Thread! (Now Available from OcUK)

Associate
Whats the chance of getting a good one of these if ordered from overclockers shortly after xmass? Also if it is a poor one Ill have to contact HP direclty for a replacement?

Would love to get hold of an NEC MultiSync LCD24WMGX3 but I think my lucks run out....

Last edited:
Soldato
This sounds dumb, but how are you supposed to notice if your monitor has an overly pink tint or not? Does anyone have any pictured examples?

I just don't have anything to compare to.

kar

kar

Associate
Opted to buy one of these, have it coming first thing tomorrow morning.

I intend to use it for a mixture of gaming and development work from both a PC and a Mac. So I'll let you all know how I get on with it.

kar

kar

Associate
Got mine this morning and only real thing I've got against the display is the base material is a bit little flimsy.

Still too early to talk about colour and the like, as far as I can tell I don't have any obvious stuck/dead pixels, the crispness of the picture is brilliant and in games it's fantastic looking.

I quite like the understated look of the display.

I will play more with the settings once I get used to the display more. On defaults the screen is quite 'warm', where as my old 19" was set to be quite cool.

On a blank white background the screen to my eyes looks pretty uniformly white. Tonight I'll llook for backlight bleed and so forth.

In general first impressions are quite good!

kar

kar

Associate
Well who knows if the price will drop.

The problem is currently the pound is worth not much of anything and it's dropping.

That will probably put paid to any price drop in the short-term.

Long-term when new displays come to the market, that will probably put downward pressure. But even if OCUK put it on special, it usually only means £10-20, so if you're keen on the display, pull the pin now I guess.

Associate
Argh, i'm really torn on which 24" monitor to get; this or the Dell UltraSharp U2410. Both seem to have their draw backs and i'm coming from my CRT monitor, so I really don't know what to get :(

Which should I take the gamble on?

Associate
Which should I take the gamble on?

Time to spin a coin I think! I also need another 24" LCD and feel the same.

However coming from CRT either will still be so much better you may not notice any hint issues even if you get them (I did the same a few years back and that was from high end Sony's)

kar

kar

Associate
Just a quick update, I have to say my screen does suffer from an apparent tinting issue.

It's yellow/green on the left and a shade of pink on the right.

For me, it's not a big deal, and you only notice it if you have a bright white background and are looking for it (and in my case squinting).

But it's definitely noticeable, but at the same time I don't want to overstate it either it's very very faint. Playing around with the screen settings I managed to dial it out to my satisfaction.

Mine's an October 2009, Poland build fwiw GIG 078 F/W.

No stuck or dead pixels though, I did a full search last night and couldn't spot any and that would, honestly, annoy me more :)

kar

kar

Associate
I've got a 9600 GT if it helps, I've followed the tftcentral settings

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm (I used the spyder pro settings).

Just following on from my previous post, I've managed to dial out the pink a fair bit. From all I've read it goes away after around 100 hours of the backlight being on. I'll let you know how mine goes.

But for me it's fine. Been playing games on this for the last day and a half and it's utterly fantastic. The colours are vivid and there's no noticeable blur or lag.

I need to do some dev work over the weekend so I'll let you know too what it's like for eclipse :)

So having lived with the screen for a day and a half, I have to say I'm quite happy with it! Text, probably the most important thing really, is very clear with my windows 7 setup and even on my Mac it's very clear too.

Associate
I posted this on another forum earlier tonight, but I thought one more opinion might be of interest here as well.

I ordered an LP2475w three days ago, after reading various mostly very positive professional reviews. My original intent was to replace my aging Samsung 226BW with a 26" TN panel monitor, eg. the Samsung T260, but after seeing my fathers new 22" Eizo in action when I visited during the holidays, I got a strong urge to try a better panel type - even if it meant settling for a 24" model.

And then the day after placing my order I started coming across all these complaints about problems with the LP2475w, and I started wondering if I had just made a very big mistake when I ordered this monitor.

It arrived yesterday (GIG173, Poland November 2009, FW GIG 077), and while I've only been using it for 18 hours and have had to settle for using the calibration tips and files provided at tftcentral.co.uk (their monitor settings were however a bit too green for my liking, so I'm using 251 222 242, plus green black level lowered to 30 - trying 40 at the moment - through the HP Display Assistant) rather than a hardware calibration tool, it's definitely obvious that with white or other very light colors, there's a slight but still noticeable difference in color temperature(?) between left and right side of the screen - and calling it a green-pink "tint" probably isn't too far of the mark (at least the green tint on the left side, the right side of the screen is actually how I would like the full image to be).

Since it looks like something I'll quickly learn to ignore once I'm a few days past the new monitor phase (I've pretty much already stopped noticing it, and additionally moving my desk lamp from it's usual place right next to me on the left side, to a place where it provides more indirect background lighting instead, also helped considerably), and since I won't be using the monitor for color critical work, I won't bother asking for a replacement, but it's a little disappointing none the less.

Aside from that issue - and buttons on the monitor that have a rather cheap feel to them - this is a huge step up in quality from my old 226BW. No detectable backlight bleeding, only minor white glow at night with a full black screen, vastly better viewing angles (particularly obvious at the top of the screen where I no longer have to suffer horrendous contrast shifts when I lean back in my chair a little in a relaxed position) and fantastic colors that are very different but much more nuanced and to my eyes much more natural than what I've been used to from TN panels.

Well, the excessive wide gamut reds aside - using color aware applications (such as one of my image viewers) really do show a rather large difference between the desktop colors and programs that can utilize the ICC profile I downloaded from TFT Central.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around all this stuff that I've been reading about color profiles, but if I've understood it correctly, even Windows 7 (I'm on Vista x64) isn't able to use color profiles system wide, but still "suffers" from wide gamut over saturation on the desktop and applications that aren't color aware (ie. no different from Vista at all)?

Update: By recommendation I updated my Nvidia driver to one that supports "negative" digital vibrance values.
I couldn't go below the default 0% on my 182.06 driver, but in more recent versions the default is 50%. I currently have it set at 40% and the difference is striking on particularly those previously radioactive reds. In fact the desktop colors are no longer too far from the result I get in color aware applications, albeit with an overall warmer red tone where the profiled colors lean towards green.
I'm still experimenting with the monitor color settings through HP Display Assistant, but getting the green even remotely close to the value suggested by TFT Central (235, I'm still at 222) just doesn't look good to me - whether it's down to differences between the individual monitors or just my eyes that don't like an image with a greenish tint.
Actually matching the much more pleasant albeit also slightly greenish look of the ICC profiled colors, doesn't seem possible. But then I guess that would be impossible - color profiles are there for a reason after all.

Oh, and I love the 1920x1200 resolution. I never thought it would feel like this much of a step up from 1680x1050, but it really does provide a whole lot of extra screen space and has already entirely changed the way I resize and place windows.
Now there's actually room for having another window next to the web browser, something I never quite felt was possible on my old screen, so I always ended up running most applications maximized.

So overall I'm very happy with my purchase, but I have to admit that if I had come across this thread and another very long one before I ordered the LP2475w, I imagine there's a very good chance I would have opted for something else.
All these horror stories from people having received two, three or even four replacements are pretty scary. And as mentioned even mine has one of the common problems brought up, just fortunately not so bad I can't live with it.
But I guess if you want an IPS panel in this price range the options are rather limited.

kar

kar

Associate
Very similar to my experience then, I think.

I've been using my macbook pro with this screen today and it works very well too.

If anything the colour profiles that come with OSX seem to suit the screen more as it doesn't appear quite so warm as it does in Windows.

Using photoshop and eclipse is a bit of a dream with this :)

Associate
It sounds like most of the problems have been sorted out apart from the slight red/green screen tint. Could this be fixed by using a colour calibration device? I think if i do go for this monitor Ill shell out for lower end calibration device just to make the most of it.

Associate
It sounds like most of the problems have been sorted out apart from the slight red/green screen tint. Could this be fixed by using a colour calibration device? I think if i do go for this monitor Ill shell out for lower end calibration device just to make the most of it.

As color settings apply to the entire screen rather than parts of it (eg. separate settings for each side), I rather doubt you can "fix" it, but from what I've seen so far, certain settings - and ambient lighting conditions - are definitely better at camouflaging it than others, although I guess there's a chance that settings where it's the left-right color differences are least visible could turn out not to be the properly calibrated ones.

In any case, I've only caught myself actually noticing the problem briefly two or three times today, and I've spent a fair amount of times in applications or on web pages where it's visible (ie. white or other very light backgrounds).
But I'm sure the issue could have course very well be much more pronounced on some screens than on mine.

kar

kar

Associate
From everything I've read the problem with the uneven tinting sorts itself out over time.

After about 200 hrs of backlight time it should be okay.

Associate
Being an idiot I managed to smash the panel on my Dell 2407HPW A04 on new years eve. Loved that monitor and had no intention of upgrading, now I don't have a choice. :mad:

I have a TN based Samsung SM206BW on the other PC which I don't rate at all, so after spending a few days reading the forums and agonising over the apparent faults on the current Dell US2410 and HP, or whether I can afford to loose inputs if I went for the NEC EA231WMi or Sammy SM2443BW, the fact that the HP seems end of life and if I'm honest over priced. I've ordered the HP today. Can't really afford to wait for anything else to come along unfortunately since I need my main PC for work and using this 17" Hanns-G thing I've grabbed from the office as a stop gap really isn't a long term option. Right now the HP seems the better risk over the Dell.

Weather permitting I should have it tomorrow and so will post my thoughts once I've had a play. I really hope I'm happy with it, if not I think I'll just return for a refund and buy something cheaper as a stop gap for 6 months or so and see what happens. In the mean time, anyone know where I can get hold of a replacement panel for the Dell 2407? as I'd really like to repair it if it's cost effective.

Back
Top Bottom