Anyone had a puppy ?

Caporegime
You can also get scented 'puppy pads' that they go to wee on, bit like a nappy.

Yup we used these along with a scented spray. Once they get used to weeing on the scented area in the house, you let them outside, spray in an area and they'll learn to do it outside. Obviously combined with discouraging actions when they continue to do it indoors and then taking them straight outside.

Associate
Bought a king charles cavalier the other day.

After lots of hard thought we did it.

but now all of us (me, mum dad) are having second thoughts, and thinking of taking him back. He cost us £600 but we dont care about the money.

Basically hes not settling well at night, crys all night no matter what we do, none of us have any sleep, cant leave him on his own for more than 3 hours at a time, and all of us work/study in plymouth which is 30 miles away.

I feel really guilty but its like having a baby with no idea what the baby wants when he crys, and i would rather think about it now than when hes properly settled, so he wont pine for us.

thoughts ? stick with it ? will he get better as time goes on ?

Just give him to Burnsy as you cant be arsed with the early stages and please do some research before you get another pup.

Permabanned
OP
Its not that i begrudge it, I dont at all. Its that Im putting him first and wondering whats best for him. Though he seems perfectly happy in the day.

Is it normal for them to cry as soon as someone for instance, leaves the room to go to the kitchen, yet theres two other people in the lounge ?

Had him 2 days.

Hes sleeping in a basket with a tea towel with the scent of his genetic mother, is this not a good idea ?

Caporegime
Its not that i begrudge it, I dont at all. Its that Im putting him first and wondering whats best for him. Though he seems perfectly happy in the day.

Is it normal for them to cry as soon as someone for instance, leaves the room to go to the kitchen, yet theres two other people in the lounge ?

Had him 2 days.

Hes sleeping in a basket with a tea towel with the scent of his genetic mother, is this not a good idea ?

Yes it's normal. Mine used to cry every time I left the room. Now I'm sure she hates the sight of me. :p

The towel is fine. Will help more than anything.

Think about if you're willing to put the effort into training it.

It WILL get better, but then you've got a lot of training to do, and not just house training either.

Associate
Death Star or Mount Doom, it depends on the day.

Had him 2 days.

A ticking clock helps also. Just make sure the little fella is warm with the bad weather e.g. a nice blanket. My dog is one and he barks ocassionally in the night. It can't be helped, its a lot of work looking after a dog but its very rewarding. I love my little fella, and my dog too!

Soldato
If all your family are really having doubts so soon it kind of makes me think you lied to the breeder about your situation or the breeder didnt really care where the dog was going.

A dog needs to be walked every day, best do it in the morning before work/school. Then walk it again at night when work/school finishes.

Two days and your all getting fed up, thats just bad.

If you really can't manage him and you need a home, I'll take him off your hands. Seriously.

Dito

Last edited:

Sic

Sic

Soldato
Having a puppy is super hard. There are days when I think it's way too difficult, but our little guy seems to relish in patience and attention, so if he's being a bit naughty, I just drop everything and play with him for a while til he calms down. We're lucky because I'm home all day and can let him out every couple of hours and give him a bit of fuss before he's left on his own.

To be honest, it doesn't sound like you're really ready for a puppy (or anything that depends on you). Whilst I agree that you shouldn't be missing lectures to look after a puppy, you should've thought about that before you got him and not got him if that's your situation.

Ultimately, the decision is down to you. If you really know that you can't care for your dog long term, then you should give him the best shot in life you can and let someone else give him the home he deserves. It might feel like you're just ducking out, but you sound totally unprepared for this. Having to walk for ages to a fenced-off area to take him to the toilet is ridiculous. Our puppy can sometimes go every 5 minutes (thankfully, he does give us a bit of warning that he needs to now, though!) and I couldn't imagine having to put shoes on and get him outside. There just wouldn't be enough time!

Do some research and really think about whether you're equipped to cope. That's about all you can do.

Associate
Some might frown but seriously try a cage. They actually feel safe in them. Also, it is no different really than having a baby. You have to switch off to them. It really doesn't take long for them to get used to new surroundings and a new routine.

Also, forget paper training. Take outside regularly and when is convenient for you, they soon get the message.

Soldato
Puppies are hard work and if you keep him you will have to get used to it. He'll soon be grown up and you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about though.

They start off looking like this and run you ragged
sany0243ty4.jpg

And before you know it they look like this and are not a bit of bother.
sany12641.jpg

:EDIT: Not KCS tho, thats an Akita :p

Man of Honour
Some might frown but seriously try a cage. They actually feel safe in them. Also, it is no different really than having a baby. You have to switch off to them. It really doesn't take long for them to get used to new surroundings and a new routine.

Also, forget paper training. Take outside regularly and when is convenient for you, they soon get the message.

I don't think I could disagree more.

Back
Top Bottom