University.

Soldato
I've done a few stays down in plymouth with a mate. (I'm going plymouth uni next year)

And to be honest, it seemed to be awesome.
Haven't had any experience of the work, I don't mind if it's easy, human nature is to look for the path which will give the most reward with the least work. But the people round the uni and the life, EPIC. Can't wait til next year.

Man of Honour
but its disconcerting to see so many Chinese, African people etc, whose grasp on the language and involvement in the university is minimal.

These people are subsidising your education.

Pointless rant I know, but I just can't see what is so great about university education. It has the feel of a system that used to be special, but is now about batch orders.

Why not quit?

Can't say that I've experienced anything you have here at Plymouth. I have had one lecturer that's from Pakistan who has a fairly strong accent but he certainly knows his shizz and I don't have a problem following him.

What are you studying?

Soldato
Underwhelmed to be honest, but that's only because people literally speak of it as the greatest thing in the world of all time ever.. ever, but in reality you're not out every night getting mashed, getting laid and doing no work.

It's still pretty good, just not as epic as media would have you believe.

Associate
University doesn't give you the education, Lecturers are just teachers that read off a powerpoint and tell you how to pass the exams. You are there to get properly educated yourself if you so wish. You pay over £3K a year for the privilege of having the most fun you can have and not having to work for 3 years. University is there to facilitate binge drinking statistics.

1st year - 4 or 5 nights out a week and no work at all, if you cant pass the exams you should never have thought about university, or about that particular course.

2nd year - this counts towards your degree so work gets harder and a little effort is required, which means you have to cut down to just 3 nights out a week.

3rd year - this is the culmination of all that work you've been putting off, you need to pull your finger out and do something. So you might have to take a couple weeks off drinking in the run up to exams and limit yourself now (also you're getting poorer) to 2 nights out a week.

Essentially any degree (excl. medicine, dentistry, architecture, and perhaps law) can be done in 1 year without problems if university was about work. However they stretch it over 3 to ease the adjustment to adult life.

So stop moaning about how easy first year is and live it up whilst you can, go out, get hammered, sleep with fat chicks. The anecdotes you create now will be the only fun you have left to hang onto when you're working 9-5.

Edit: and personal tip for Uni, JOIN A SPORTS TEAM.

Last edited:
Associate

I was generalising.

No I don't give a toss what nationality someone is, but when it impinges on my experience at university then yes, I feel I have a legitimate right to moan. :p

And yes, people barely speaking the language/ not getting involved in anything to do with the uni, does bug me, as do lecturers who cannot communicate effectively, no matter how many phd's they have.
The thing is though you're on the money questioning whether university is the great thing it once was, and wondering if it's all about batch orders, because thanks to government/HE/business's drive for 50% university participation that's all it is.

You devalue your argument by singling out foreign staff and students, when there are plenty of inept British staff and students to point the finger at. It has nothing to do with race.

Edit: If you're interested in a more educated assessment of what's wrong with our higher education system.. Keep, E. and Mayhew, K. (2004) 'The Economics and Distributional Implications of Current Policies on Higher Education', Oxford Review of Economic Policy, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 298-314.

Last edited:
Associate
University doesn't give you the education, Lecturers are just teachers that read off a powerpoint and tell you how to pass the exams. You are there to get properly educated yourself if you so wish. You pay over £3K a year for the privilege of having the most fun you can have and not having to work for 3 years. University is there to facilitate binge drinking statistics.

1st year - 4 or 5 nights out a week and no work at all, if you cant pass the exams you should never have thought about university, or about that particular course.

2nd year - this counts towards your degree so work gets harder and a little effort is required, which means you have to cut down to just 3 nights out a week.

3rd year - this is the culmination of all that work you've been putting off, you need to pull your finger out and do something. So you might have to take a couple weeks off drinking in the run up to exams and limit yourself now (also you're getting poorer) to 2 nights out a week.

Essentially any degree (excl. medicine, dentistry, architecture, and perhaps law) can be done in 1 year without problems if university was about work. However they stretch it over 3 to ease the adjustment to adult life.

So stop moaning about how easy first year is and live it up whilst you can, go out, get hammered, sleep with fat chicks. The anecdotes you create now will be the only fun you have left to hang onto when you're working 9-5.

Edit: and personal tip for Uni, JOIN A SPORTS TEAM.

I'm in my 3rd year and your spot on :D

Associate
If you would like to get yourself knee-deep in debt and come out with a pointless degree. I mean you can get a degree in under-water basket weaving.

Yer, the prospect of making more money in the long run is there, but for what...u gotta pay off the loans first, and you missed out on the few years wages that you would have got if you hadn't have gone.

Just my views, criticize at will, i don't care.

Associate
I'm in 3rd year Politics and Economics, and I revel in the opportunity to meet people from other countries. I think its fascinating to learn from culture differences and I wish to travel extensively someday. However our current Visa policies need reform imo, because we encourage the best foreign students - foreign students who make it here, who grew up in harder conditions than you or I - and then kick them out after their student visa has ran out. I've seen some remarkable people leave the country for good and its a wasted opportunity to inject fresh skills and intellect into our economy. We need innovation, and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be from foreign contributors. We're all different, but we're also all human. Co-operate towards a better future, not hold everyone back because they look and sound a bit different.

Foreign effort our Universities are vast, but how much effort are you going to make?
</vent>

Soldato
first year is only there too bring everyone from different backgrounds up to the same level

start debating the difficulty of it next year...

well unless your doing a mickey mouse degree with 5 hours a week or something

Soldato
If you would like to get yourself knee-deep in debt and come out with a pointless degree. I mean you can get a degree in under-water basket weaving.

Yer, the prospect of making more money in the long run is there, but for what...u gotta pay off the loans first, and you missed out on the few years wages that you would have got if you hadn't have gone.

Just my views, criticize at will, i don't care.

If you're going to get a degree in underwater basket weaving you're probably not going there for the career prospects... However, if you do a real degree, such as maths, engineering, economics, law, medicine, etc, you will almost certainly pay off your debts, and come out a LOT better overall unless you're very unlucky. The debts are a maximum of what, £25k for a 3 year course? Lets say you went to uni when you were 18 and graduated when you were 21. How much does the average 21 year old who didn't go to uni earn? How much does the average graduate earn? I'm willing to bet by 30 the average graduate (excluding ones doing underwater basket weaving) is a lot better off than the guy who has a few GCSEs and 3 A levels. Especially since it's usually the ones that don't get good GCSEs and A levels that don't go to uni.

Man of Honour
I Get Around, if you eventually decided to opt with Plymouth over University of Bristol, that easily ranks as one of the most incredibly boneheaded decisions I have ever seen on the forum - just, bwuh?!

well unless your doing a mickey mouse degree with 5 hours a week or something

Considering I have four hours of contact time a week, mandatory time spent in lectures or seminars is not necessarily reflective of work expected

Associate
Enjoy it while you can I say. The first year is all about bringing everybody up to the same level since every region/country has its own exam boards/syllabus. Do something you enjoy like playing PC games/drinking, hell join a few societies you have interests in, oh any enjoy the fairer sex.

In a round about way it should blood you in fending for yourself after all this is what you will be doing for the rest of your life. The second year the workload increases and gets a little more detailed...In the third year the workload increases and gets a little more detailed...

Enjoy your first year, make something of it! Plenty of parties and wall to wall vomiting ;)

Nix

Nix

Soldato
I used to have ~30 hours a week.

The 4 hours a week course is far more demanding.

That's because for courses like that, you're expected to do far, far more outside of lectures.

IIRC, a lecturer once said that for every hour in university, a student was expected to have done 20 hours reading outside.

Soldato
Sounds like Law to me Nitefly. Undergraduate or the post grad conversion course? If it's the latter I'm told it's mental.

@ac1d1ty I think it's heavily dependent on what course you're taking, and where you're doing it. It's ridiculous to put Psychology at Plymouth in the same bracket as Mathematics at Oxford.

Back
Top Bottom