WIN A FULL SET OF STEELSERIES GAMING PERIPHERALS

steelseries_newspaper.jpg

Up for grabs we have a great bundle of fantastic prizes for one winner:

1 x Steelseries Merc Stealth Gaming Keyboard
1 x Steelseries Ikari Laser Gaming Mouse
1 x Steelseries 9HD Gaming Mouse Pad
1 x Steelseries Siberia 7.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset with Microphone

===========================================
To enter, simply get your creative hat on and write an article based on a newspaper heading of "e-Sports set to reach the Olympics" and posting your ideas in this thread. The best article will win the prize, articles are recommended to be short and catchy. More than one entry per person is welcome. To enter you will need 10 posts by the time the competition closes on Monday so get posting!
===========================================

Don't forget that as a loyal Forum Member you get free shipping.

If you are not a Forum Member, sign up today and be part of the biggest and best UK computing and lifestyle community.

OcUK Newspaper article Competition Terms and Conditions
This competition is open to all OcUK forum members, except for employees of OcUK (or their families), their suppliers or other affiliated companies.
Competition closes 5th February 2010 12:00pm
The Winner will receive
1 x steelseries Merc Stealth Gaming Keyboard
1 x Steelseries Ikari Laser Gaming Mouse
1 x Steelseries 9HD Gaming Mouse Pad
1 x Steelseries Siberia 7.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset with Microphone

Prizes will be shipped within 7 working days via a courier of OcUK’s choosing.
Winners will be notified by e-mail and competition results posted on the OcUK Forums website.
The winning entry will be chosen by an OcUK employee.
The judge's decision is final and no correspondence can be entered into.
Prizes are not transferable and no cash alternatives are available.
Entry implies acceptance of these terms and conditions.
OcUK reserve the right to withdraw this offer at any time.
Prizes will be shipped within 7 days of 5th February 2010.
Entries only from forum members with 10 posts or more will be entered into the draw.

Soldato
great competition but the Xai is a terrible mouse, has a extremely high death rate I've recently bought one and it's died within 4 days had to send it back and going to replace it with a DeathAdder

Associate
does ocuk even sell 9hd?

btw where did u get the idea of xai having a high death rate? u complain about the xai then go buy a razer product :S

Associate
Obviously written from the perspective of a UK newspaper...

e-Sports set to reach the Olympics

As we enter a new decade, times are changing and people's values and definitions are becoming challenged at an increasing rate. One of the definitions which is constantly being re-assessed is "sport". What defines a sport, and separates it from a hobby or pastime?

In the past there have been numerous examples which have put this into question, including chess, darts, and now a more topical example, computer gaming. One of the fastest growing industries in the world, and one of very few which has flourished during the recession, computer gaming is becoming a staple part of our day to day life, and is a key aspect to millions of people's existence all around the world.

However, can it truly be classed as a sport? The Olympic council certainly seems to think so, as it has been announced as one of the new events at the 2012 Olympics, which will be held in London. Back in 2008 the question was first brought into mainstream media, when China announced it as a pre-olympic event, supported by GGL, and the London team is now looking to take it one step forward.

Gamers from around the world will be looking to compete in the most prestigious of events, where they will be placed against the toughest rivals on offer for the chance to bring home gold for their country. However, these are not amateurs, and none of the competitors will be new to the big stage. For the best part of a decade similar tournaments have gone on, away from the prying eye of mainstream media, encouraging the finest e-Athletes from all corners of the world to put their talents to the test for huge prizes. From the eSports World Championship, to the Championship Gaming Series, millions of dollars in prize money have already been given away, and the competitors are already very seasoned in the eye of competition.

The UK already has one of the strongest competitive gaming scenes in the world, and will be looking to put together a strong team for the upcoming event. Could Great Britain finally take home the gold in an event which isn't exclusively middle class (Apologies to sailing, rowing and cycling fans out there)? Time will tell, and the youth of our nation are finally our greatest hope.

Brap brap brap.

Last edited:
Associate
Entry #2, again written from the perspective of a UK newspaper. Figured I'd go for a less serious one. No idea if it's what you're looking for, but figured it wouldn't dampen my chances even if it sucks...

After the recent announcement of competitive gaming's inclusion in the 2012 olympics, much controversy has followed. However, nothing was as unexpected as the announcements from many pioneering UK athletes, that they are re-considering their inclusion at the event, and contemplating a move from the field to the console.

Leading UK tennis player, Andy Murray, was quoted today as saying the following:
"Aye, I dunnae know what I'm doing naw, I'm pretty guid at Call of Duty, and I cannae see Nadal or Federer slipping up this year, so I'm re-evaluating mah choice at the moment. I dunnae know whether it'll be a racket or a controller in my hand in 2012, but ah'll be there".

Steven Gerrard, one of England's greatest hopes for the football team, spoke out on The Wright Stuff yesterday morning:
"Ehmmm I know I'm like pretty good at football like, but I've been getting proper good at FIFA recently, and like I think I could give those yanks a good run for their money. Ehmmm I'm not sure yet, I don't wanna let the boys down, but I'm gonna see if I can enter both events like".

There are countless examples of top athletes aiming to live out their childhood dreams and become eSports champions at the 2012 olympics, but will this damper our chances in the more mainstream events? Chris Hoy certainly didn't think so when he was asked about it in The Guardian last week, where he made this short but succint statement:
"Gaming? Psch, you don't get calf muscles like these playing computer games. Bunch of nonces if you ask me!"

David Coulthard and his chin were equally dismissive about the prospect of eSports at the olympics:
"I sit on my arse using nothing but my hands for 6 hours and you don't see me getting to go the ****ing olympics. ****ing joke..."

So there you have it, the varying perspectives of top athletes in the eSports generation. Time will tell as to how successful they are in their respective events, but one thing is for sure - We won't be able to compete with the Chinese.

Last edited:
Soldato
From perspective of a UK journalist, you never said it had to be positive :p

Over the year the meaning of the word "Sport" has changed dramatically. In America professional wrestling claims to be a "Sport" even though it is known to be scripted with no real competition taking place. Cheerleading is also considered a "Sport" having its own tournaments and championships. Despite this the Olympic games have remained a showcase of excellence throughout the years, they are an example of the worlds best athletes competing for gold on the grandest stage of them all, as it was in the Greek times, as it is today. But now the great games look to be perverted as the 2012 games are set to include computer games as a sport to the disgust of many.

This Journalist happens to be disabled so I have always been fond of the paralympics as they allow those who are incapable of entering the Olympics but still possess the drive of a champion to compete at a world class level. And now with this announcement it seems that the main games are being thrown open to the weak, the obese and the downright useless. It is most insulting that not only is a "Sport" being added to the games that requires no physical or mental conditioning but the only requirement to get good at it is "having a lot of free time to sit on your bum clicking a mouse". Did I miss something? Intellectual games such as Chess and to a lesser extend card games such as Yugi-Oh are not real sports because the is no physical element, but pointing a virtual gun at a target and clicking a button is?

The 2012 Olympics will go down in history not because the stadium wasn't finished. Not because It was a monumental achievement for England. It will go down forever in history as the day "Sport" died.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom