Running Windows Home Server

Img_0005.jpg

Manufacturer: Shuttle XPC SG33G5B
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
RAM: 2GB
HDD(s): 1 x 500GB
GFX: On board Intel
Speed (if overclocked):
Temps: 45 Idle (Fan set to ultra low speed)

Soldato
hi, yes its built and running however im waiting on the Geil to turn up still (damn snow).. even with "just" 4gb its performing very well, photoshop cs3 loads pretty much instantly for example.

idle temps on the stock intel cooler are about 45c. processing stuff in lightroom so far ive had it up to low 60's.

i am getting a replacement cooler, not for the temps but for less noise lol

psu is blowing out through the side panel.

hope that helps :)

an update on my last post..

i now have an Alpenfohn Panorama CPU Cooler in my box along with the Geil.

idle temps are now 35-37c across 4 cores and max temps (prime tested for 10 hours) are 52-57c.

more info and pics here- http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18096877

Soldato
Well been promising to post this for a while and i have got round to taking a couple of pics,

specs for my htpc
C2D E5300 @ stock
2GB DDRII
asus P5N7A-Vm, Nvidia GF9300 ic with 256mb shared memmory
80GB laptop sata HDD with vista 32 Os
1tb seagate lp 5900Rpm drive for storage

DSCN0734.jpg

DSCN0735.jpg

DSCN0736.jpg

DSCN0737.jpg

DSCN0741.jpg

Case is a Silverstone Milo Ml02 MODT with 120w itx psu, smart case and very well built as you come to expect form silverstone.

Soldato
Its a very nice case, no good if you want 2 expansion cards, i dont use this for tv and the onboard Gigabit ethernet on the asus means i have no need for pci cards, i may in the future make room for a gpu but as it stands the 9300 ic is more than enough.
my advice is if it fits your needs you cant go wrong!

Associate
Recently completed a SG-05 build, specification as follows:

DFI P55-T36
i5 750
4Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600
Scythe Big Shuriken
Silverstone Sugo SG-05
Sapphire 5770 Vapour-X
500Gb WD Caviar Blue

Originally I'd assembled it with the stock Intel cooler to establish a baseline for noise and temperature while I waited on my Scythe cooler.

As you can see from the last picture the Scythe is a tight fit, I would have liked to have orientate it so the case fan would blow down between the fins but turning it 90 degrees wasn't possible as the heatpipes would extend out past the edge of the case. It became readily apparent that leaving the power supply in it's original orientation wasn't advisable as the heat from the Scythe and the GFX card was cooking it, flipped the power supply over so it was drawing cool air in from top of the case, much better. The next thing I noted was that the Scythe was blowing very hot air down and although keeping the CPU nice and cool, it was overheating the VRM's which have no heatsinks on this board. Reversed the fan on the Scythe and shimmed it up as reversed the blades would sometimes contact the heatsink itself.

With these few changes, temperatures are nice and cool, spent considerable time running IBT, Prime, Furmark etc with everything at stock speeds for now to establish a cool baseline temperature.

A couple of notes regarding noise, the Vapour-X card is as silent as can be, with Furmark running for hours most I could get the temperature up to was about 69C and never even noticed if fan speed changed it was that quiet.
The Scythe has a low bass like hum to it, only really noticeable when you have your ear up to it, psu fan has a higher pitched sound to it but again you need to be very close to hear this. Overall it is not 'silent', at least not to the standard I normally aim for with regular builds but it was not unpleasant to have the thing sitting very close to me.

Hope this information is useful.

Please forgive the pictures as I'm hopeless at photography.

sg051.jpg

sg052.jpg

sg053.jpg

sg054.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it possible that you could take some pictures of the top of the computer with the case on and off the SG05??

How is the temperature of the Core i5 750 with the cover on under IBT for example??

Sorry for all the questions but the SG05 looks a good case for a SFF gaming build and is not too expensive considering it comes with a PSU too!!

Associate
Is it possible that you could take some pictures of the top of the computer with the case on and off the SG05??

How is the temperature of the Core i5 750 with the cover on under IBT for example??

Sorry for all the questions but the SG05 looks a good case for a SFF gaming build and is not too expensive considering it comes with a PSU too!!

Temperatures if I recall correctly were about 69C peak in a hot room with IBT doing 20 passes at maximum. PSU is more than enough for the spec I have listed.

Here are the pictures you wanted, hope they are clear enough :)

sg058.jpg

sg055.jpg

sg056j.jpg

sg057.jpg

Associate
Thanks a lot!! :)

Those pictures are brilliant!!

Also...just one more thing(puts on a Columbo accent)!!

How high is the temperature of the hard disk when the system is under load??

It's in the 30-40C range I think, heat from CPU+GPU doesn't get near it due to large intake fan at the front which blows air across the side and underside on way in. It pretty much sits right in the cold air intake path :)

Soldato
Thanks again!! :)

This certainly looks a decent case for a mini-ITX gaming build. I use a Shuttle P2 series SFF myself ATM but their pricing has gone a bit mad for their higher end units recently. Looks like this will be a good and decent substitute for one at a much lower price with better upgradeability it seems too!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Few pics of my kids new PC, not quite finished yet as the bluray drive i bought from OcUK needs to be returned, the new sata cables need to be fitted and i've got to fit the Xilence fans...
:)

16howw7.jpg

25uk48i.jpg

x42gk7.jpg

200bghg.jpg

2dv6eft.jpg

2r299bb.jpg

v4mhdc.jpg

xap65f.jpg

Sugo SG01-Evo case
MSI 785GTM-E45 mobo
Phenom II x4 940BE
NT06-E V3 heatsink
4gb Geil Black Dragon PC6400
ASUS HD5770 1gb
OCZ Modxstream pro 600watt psu
1tb Western Digital Black 32mb cache (the only part on the PC that scores below 7.something in the windows rating system, BAH!!!)
Razer Lycosa keyboard
Razer Diamondback 3G mouse
Windows 7 Ultimate

:)

Soldato
Recently completed a SG-05 build, specification as follows:

DFI P55-T36
i5 750
4Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600
Scythe Big Shuriken
Silverstone Sugo SG-05
Sapphire 5770 Vapour-X
500Gb WD Caviar Blue

Originally I'd assembled it with the stock Intel cooler to establish a baseline for noise and temperature while I waited on my Scythe cooler.

As you can see from the last picture the Scythe is a tight fit, I would have liked to have orientate it so the case fan would blow down between the fins but turning it 90 degrees wasn't possible as the heatpipes would extend out past the edge of the case. It became readily apparent that leaving the power supply in it's original orientation wasn't advisable as the heat from the Scythe and the GFX card was cooking it, flipped the power supply over so it was drawing cool air in from top of the case, much better. The next thing I noted was that the Scythe was blowing very hot air down and although keeping the CPU nice and cool, it was overheating the VRM's which have no heatsinks on this board. Reversed the fan on the Scythe and shimmed it up as reversed the blades would sometimes contact the heatsink itself.

With these few changes, temperatures are nice and cool, spent considerable time running IBT, Prime, Furmark etc with everything at stock speeds for now to establish a cool baseline temperature.

A couple of notes regarding noise, the Vapour-X card is as silent as can be, with Furmark running for hours most I could get the temperature up to was about 69C and never even noticed if fan speed changed it was that quiet.
The Scythe has a low bass like hum to it, only really noticeable when you have your ear up to it, psu fan has a higher pitched sound to it but again you need to be very close to hear this. Overall it is not 'silent', at least not to the standard I normally aim for with regular builds but it was not unpleasant to have the thing sitting very close to me.

Hope this information is useful.

This is just the sort of thing I'm looking at making. I already have the case so just need the other bits.

What's the GPU like for playing games? I currently have a XFX5870 so would I notice a big difference in using this the vapor against that? Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by you "shimmed it up" when talking about the shuriken fan? Is that also the best HSF for this sort of setup? Finally, are you still using the 300W PSU that comes with the case or did you put another one in.

Once I get sorted out I'll be building a SFF to replace my Antec 1200 which is taking up way too much space!

Thanks

Soldato
Might as well post this in here for those who enjoy a lovely small powerful rig.

watercool.jpg

radshot.jpg

UV.jpg

DSCF3115.jpg

Wish i took photo with side panel with window on :o

better post my spec

Evga X58 SLI Micro
i7 920 @ 4.1Ghz
Patriot Memory
GTX 260 SLI
Heatkiller
240 GT stealth lite
XSPC res pump combo
2x 500Gb HDD

Last edited:
Associate
This is just the sort of thing I'm looking at making. I already have the case so just need the other bits.

What's the GPU like for playing games? I currently have a XFX5870 so would I notice a big difference in using this the vapor against that? Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by you "shimmed it up" when talking about the shuriken fan? Is that also the best HSF for this sort of setup? Finally, are you still using the 300W PSU that comes with the case or did you put another one in.

Once I get sorted out I'll be building a SFF to replace my Antec 1200 which is taking up way too much space!

Thanks

Sorry for the very late reply :(

To be honest, I've barely had the time to use it since it was built, didn't even get around to overclocking it yet. Any decent review of the 5770 should be able to give you an idea of perfomance vs the 5870, far better than my limited experience with it. By "shimmed it up" I placed very small spacers at the fan corners to raise it from the heatsink ever so slightly as the fan blade clearance when flipped is almost non existant. I'm still using the original PSU as this more than meets the needs of the system specification even when the system is fully loaded.

The main aim was to get it as cool and quiet as possible, this should leave me some decent thermal headroom for overclocking it when I find the time.

Associate
imgp6789.jpg

E7300
4GB
8800gt
300GB Notebook drive in Sythe Quiet Drive
Scythe Ninja 2 with a single fan
PicoPSU 150 +Dell DA-2 brick.

Waiting on bits to make a crude drive shelf and a nice brushed aluminium lid.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom