HGV1 Driver Earnings

Soldato

Most drivers aren't academic. (Note, not academic, I didn't say not intelligent)
Most drivers HATE being told what to do, and prefer a job where they're more in control of their day to day matters.

So, in your opinion, which careers that satisfy the above criteria AND offer salaries in the region of those already mentioned in this thread should they be aiming for?

Soldato
"Take this pile of stuff 200 miles and leave it right there"
"OK!"
As you've either chosen to misunderstand my post, or done so in the hunt for laughs, I'll explain.
I said MORE in control, not IN TOTAL CONTROL.
Yes they're given a task to do for that day, but from the start of the day to the end they're effectively their own boss (and more importantly they don't have a boss over their shoulder and on their case for the whole time).

Last edited:
Soldato
£7.10 p/hr 6AM - 6PM £8.10 p/hr 6PM - 6AM (Day & Night rate)

Saturday is £9.50p/hr day rate (00:01 - 15:00), £11p/hr Night rate.(15:00 - 06:00)

I think Sunday is £11p/hr but not sure as I don't work Sundays....

If you put the hours in, you can earn reasonable money. My Gross last years was just shy of £32k.

That must be some serious hours. Taking £9.50 as an average rate equates to over 64 hours a week and that is assuming you don't take any holidays.

I can sometimes see the appeal but as much as I despise "networking" and being dragged in as token department person in management review meetings etc. I wouldn't want to put the hours in to make a decent wage. I think I'd also get a bit bored doing the same thing day in day out.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes they're given a task to do for that day, but from the start of the day to the end they're effectively their own boss and more importantly they don't have a boss over their shoulder and on their case for the whole time.
Unless your truck is fitted with Isotrak. This is a sat tracking system. They know where you are. What speed/direction even down to what rev range you have been using blip it into the red they know;). Do something wrong they can then print a map of your route you took for the day/week/year!!.

Soldato
Unless your truck is fitted with Isotrak. This is a sat tracking system. They know where you are. What speed/direction even down to what rev range you have been using blip it into the red they know;). Do something wrong they can then print a map of your route you took for the day/week/year!!.

Yeah I know but that's not the same as being in a warehouse or an office where your boss can be on the prowl (and frequently is). I'm sure that plenty of people here work in jobs where their boss sticks his oar in for no other reason than because he can. With the tracker system it takes effort (monitoring and phoning) to pester the driver, so unless there's a problem that exists outside of the bosses mind they tend to be left alone.

Soldato
Most drivers aren't academic. (Note, not academic, I didn't say not intelligent)
Most drivers HATE being told what to do, and prefer a job where they're more in control of their day to day matters.

So, in your opinion, which careers that satisfy the above criteria AND offer salaries in the region of those already mentioned in this thread should they be aiming for?

I just find it amusing the amount of jobs that get looked down on as if people are too good to do them and they are for "the ones that struggled at school".

Funny that a lot of these people (particularly people with a trade.) tend to go on and earn more than admin/office workers with a general/non-specific degree. I know a few people that have come out with a degree, stinking of snobbery, no job, no experience yet they still see some jobs as being below them.

EDIT : not aimed at you by the way.

Caporegime
As i was a Tossco Middlewich driver i think you can see why im not to keen on the gokart green machine.

whilst I appreciate your position, Stobart did not come along and take your job as such,Tesco put the contract out to tender because the previous arrangement was not cost effective for them.

Many (and I'm not implying you) of the old Tesco drivers "killed the golden goose" from what I have been told by Tesco staff there,so its not surprising that ultimately Tesco decided to out source the transport (and the writing is on the wall for a lot of the other Tesco depots by all accounts)

I don't think you guys were treated well in the changeover though, and you certainly have my sympathy for that Hodge.

This may make you smile Hodge.....
http://www.verylittlehelps.com/index.php?action=gallery;cat=1 :D

I've never had an issue with Isotrak, it saves me speaking to an office bod for my next job, so to me, its a bonus!

Not to mention, before now, I've been a tad lost, called my planner and got him to look me up and point me in the right direction.

Its only a spy if you have something to hide, like 3 hours alseep in a service area..... :D

As long as you don't try to drag the job out too much,in my experience with Stobart, you tend to be left alone.

Last edited:
Associate
I worked as a Business development manager for a national recruitment company and earned plenty of money. I suddenly realised that I was working 60 - 80 hours a week and then going home and doing presentations and answering the phone to major clients with problems just about 24 hours a day. After a little bit of an arguement with my then boss I handed over my laptops, phone, company credit card and car keys and walked away. 2 months later having spent nearly all my savings I managed to talk my way into a job driving a 7.5 tonne doing drops to poundstretchers in the run up to Christmas. I progressed and put myself through the HGV licences and never ever looked back. I chose to do this job as the pay isn't bad and the work life balance is fantastic. One I'm done at work I never even think about it until I drive through the gate again the next morning.

Don't just look at how much it pays per hour work out what you really need to earn and if you can afford it change jobs to one you like. I took an initial pay cut of about £20k a year but after a little adjusting we manage just fine.

Caporegime
Probably, but:

Factor in the costs of getting the licence:

Medical
Theory Test (now in 2 parts)
Cat C course and test
Cat C+E course and test
Driver CPC required by all newly qualified drivers since last September I think.

Even if you passed everything 1st time that is at least a couple of grand maybe three.

Then whilst we are still in recession you may struggle to get a break since a lot of companies will not employ newly qualified drivers.

I missed this post.... :o

Look at it another way. A relatively small outlay for guaranteed work (especially once you have experience) for as long as you keep your licence clean.

If it gets you 4 years work and circa £100k over those 4 years, its a relative drop in the ocean. Multiply that by, for example, the 13 years I've been driving HGV's for...... (!) - I'd reckon it more than pays for itself...... Would you not agree?

I just dread to think how many miles I've driven during that time.... :eek:

Associate
I am currently pulling in my hand an average of £400 after tax & n.i. deductions for 48 hours Mon-Thur late evenings.

Truck driving is dead now, pay is bobbins and to many rules and regs.

Soldato
OP
Probably, but:

Factor in the costs of getting the licence:

Medical
Theory Test (now in 2 parts)
Cat C course and test
Cat C+E course and test
Driver CPC required by all newly qualified drivers since last September I think.

Even if you passed everything 1st time that is at least a couple of grand maybe three.

Then whilst we are still in recession you may struggle to get a break since a lot of companies will not employ newly qualified drivers.

I would plan to do this over a year or so whilst working in my current position ( night operations manger for a global executive car company of all things ) no real rush and fully expected it to be a lot more than 3 grand in fact nearer 5 .

As i stated in my first post I can take a fair old salary cut to do this so it looks like i may take the plunge .

How easy is it to get into driving tankers or Hazchem veihcles and is it worth the extra hassle for a long term gain ?

Caporegime
I am currently pulling in my hand an average of £400 after tax & n.i. deductions for 48 hours Mon-Thur late evenings.

Truck driving is dead now, pay is bobbins and to many rules and regs.

Your on better money than you appreciate.

£400 take home for working 4 effective late shifts? 48 hours duty or is that plus P.O.A. & Breaks?

As for the Rules & regs,I'm not sure I want to effectively be forced to pay for a certificate to say I can do a job that I can already do quite well, thanks.....

Perhaps, when many professional drivers have stuck two fingers upto the job & left it to the inexperienced & foreign (Poles etc) drivers and the road accident figures start to reflect this shift in skills something may happen to fix the situation.

Perhaps not.

Associate
I missed this post.... :o

If it gets you 4 years work and circa £100k over those 4 years, its a relative drop in the ocean. Multiply that by, for example, the 13 years I've been driving HGV's for...... (!) - I'd reckon it more than pays for itself...... Would you not agree?

Yep, I suppose you are right, I passed my Class 1 in February last year and now earn more per week than I ever have done before.

Truck driving has been a promotion for me. :cool:

I would plan to do this over a year or so whilst working in my current position ( night operations manger for a global executive car company of all things ) no real rush and fully expected it to be a lot more than 3 grand in fact nearer 5 .

As i stated in my first post I can take a fair old salary cut to do this so it looks like i may take the plunge .

How easy is it to get into driving tankers or Hazchem veihcles and is it worth the extra hassle for a long term gain ?

I doubt it would be 5 grand, over a couple of years it cost me £950 quid for the Class 2 (Cat C) and just a whisker over a grand for the Class 1 (Cat C+E). I don't know how much the CPC is.

Tankers, gulp, you'll need ADR for that, that's another week long course. Going to do mine soon so may post back when I've done it. I'll guess that employers will want some experience before letting you loose in a tanker loaded with petrol. Fully loaded lorries require good smooth driving skills and that will take a while to perfect.

Looking at your location, you may pick up the required salary doing an everyday trucking job. My agency have sent me to the likes of NFT before, they distribute for ASDA etc., and you can expect at least £100 per shift.

Back
Top Bottom