***Biker's Lounge Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Bought time us overclockers should get a seperate biker section, sadly i cant see that happening so this thread will have to do:D

As of the 1st of march i will be the proud owner of my first big bike (passed my DAS last week) which is a Honda Hornet CB600F. Its all paid for and ive read my manual and and got tips off my grandad and uncle who are bikers.
I want a satnav later on but my they told me not to get one as its dangerous and you need ear plugs in your ear as it can get quite deafening when your out on the road.

Soldato
Can't see how SatNav is considered dangerous? The headset that comes with the TomTom Rider clips into your helmet, not in ear or anything, and you can control the volume, so can't see how it's deafening...

What can be deafening is when you get an aftermarket exhaust :p lol.

Soldato
Thats a good deafening :p

I used to use the satnav on my old N95 and just use the headphones so never had to look at the screen, though I have used a mounted GPS quite a few times and never seen it as a problem, but its quite easy on a bike to pull over and check if youve got lost, not like your taking up much room.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think it's that good! Well, not when you arrive somewhere and you're constantly saying "What? Sorry can't hear you" lol. I ride with in ear headphones(on one side) so I can be deafened on one side by music, and the other the tone of my exhaust :D

But yeah, I now use my Satnav without a headset, not because I want to, but because the battery died and I'm too cheep to go buy another one lol. Just a bit of a PITA when you miss 2 very close junctions then have to turn around hah.

Soldato
I have a tomtom rider. Its very good - never used the earpiece though - I just use it for occasional directional cue's. Was an absolute godsend in France trying to find a Forumla 1 hotel around the Amiens by-pass!

Tough aswell - it fell off the bike at 65mph on an A-road and other than a few scuffs on the case it survived just fine!

Soldato
Oh, and in other news I need to update my sig as I just sold the ZX12R and bought an old T309 Speed Triple due to needing to downsize for a house purchase. Nice bike though - will post some pics at the weekend after its had a good cleanup :)

Soldato
My lounge contribution:

Not much going on in my world of biking atm, just wet commutes to work and the occasional short blip out when it’s dry – so that’s once this year then :D
I’m waiting for a decent day to fit some rim tape; I wanted to see what the wheels will be like with the black broken up a bit, but if it looks gash, it’ll be promptly ripped off and binned :p

Err… what else, oh, I ordered one of those new Muc-Off chain cleaning devices, but haven’t used it yet :( I have however had my MRI scan on the wrist, and I’m waiting to hear back re. this from the solicitors now, so hopefully I get a decent payout offer this time and may accept – that way it’s all over and done with, and I can pay off the R1!

How’s the healing coming along Fireskull? Got some new wheels yet?

Soldato
Not bad thanks mate, arms feeling stronger, but only Xrays next week will know how far along :p

Leg umm dunno lol hurts a lot more recently but thats mainly because ive done away with the crutch completely and walking a lot more, just being impatient :( still cant run yet either :p

SV still hasnt been fixed up yet but I have got permission to use the Street Triple but I think im going to leave it another month before I have a go, dont want to risk anything.

Soldato
Just thawed out from riding from Sheffield to Maidenhead. Unfortunately my anti-fog visor insert didn't arrive so spent half the journey with the visor open and rain driving into my face. Not fun.
On a plus side, it's the longest run I've done on the ZZR1100 and it was the most comfortable longer ride I've done on any of my bikes.

Associate
Just thawed out from riding from Sheffield to Maidenhead. Unfortunately my anti-fog visor insert didn't arrive so spent half the journey with the visor open and rain driving into my face. Not fun.
On a plus side, it's the longest run I've done on the ZZR1100 and it was the most comfortable longer ride I've done on any of my bikes.
FWIW, I found smearing some fairly liquid onto the inside of my visor useful before I got an insert.

Associate
I really want to get my bike test done ASAP.

Anyway, bike related, Heres my dads old bike... Oh how i miss it!

x1pbg2vvjapegojvanpksdx.jpg

And my dads mates old 1200 Bandit ( He sadly died of cancer ). He was by far one of the best bikers id seen.

2601057727a5318387614l.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLk98yoSDqQ
It was then given to my uncle

20361_1158575456502_1591231630_30384590_6294629_n.jpg

and heres me on my other uncles old 'Busa ( Old photo )

20361_1158573856462_1591231630_30384553_1815848_n.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Atm moving house so Tuono hasnt moved since my crash :p Will be getting in the garage soon to sort the damage and get it ready for summer.

No other plans atm other than test a B-King and Ducati street fighter and look for a Supermoto of some discription .

Persil

Associate
Oh, and in other news I need to update my sig as I just sold the ZX12R and bought an old T309 Speed Triple due to needing to downsize for a house purchase. Nice bike though - will post some pics at the weekend after its had a good cleanup :)

Look forward to the pics :cool:

As for me not been out on the trike for 6 months :( its on sorn with no MOT still insured though and it will walk through the MOT

Reason is ive had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome for some time which got so bad i had to stop riding as it was getting dangerous

good news is i had the operation 4 weeks ago , the downside is ive been stuck in bed for most of it and being paraplegic my hands are everything
for the first week i couldnt even move an inch in any direction :eek:

Still its done now ROLL ON THE SUMMER !!! :D

Have done the small airbox mod with K+N just got to put it back on plus got pc3 going on , full service , MOT then down the dyno for a custom map :)

Soldato
I'm not currently a biker, but since starting work on the Uni's Formula Student car (CBR600RR based), I've been getting more and more drawn to bikes.

I think one day when I have enough cash after keeping some 4 wheeled transport on the road I might go after a bike licence. I feel a kind of attraction to mid sized naked bikes, Ducati Monster, older Honda CB600F etc. Would need to think smaller 1st though. :(

Soldato
Haha! I dont mind the rain but depends how cold it is, Dont like Rockingham in the rain mine, stupid slippty track.

Im currently not liking Rain in the MX5, really need to get these tyres changed the novely wears off where im wondering every corner if im going to feel the back end slip.

Associate
Well i turned 21 yesterday, and im looking to do my unrestricted test in the summer, maybe..

Cant decide what bike i want next.. im currently on a ZXR400 @ 33bhp but the bike itself is quite small for me at 6ft1, so im looking at a 600cc maybe this time next year, thinking maybe ZX6-R, probably 2000-2002 model, anyone rideen one of these? Its between that and a GSXR.

Got a new lid yesterday too, AGV K-4 Vyrus in red and silver, got a dark visor on it too, brilliant helmet! Much better than the Caberg i had before :D

Soldato
Yea the older ZX6R is a good bike imo, feels really solid, felt heavy to what I am used too though but was still really flickable, Power delivery felt good too, and a decent exhaust and I love the deep sound of the older Kwakers :D
But I would say get a K4 GSXR if you can ;)

Soldato
Look forward to the pics :cool:

Its quite a cool looking bike I think:

http://www.fedrotriple.it/agg_dic2006/1994_pubb_speedtriple.jpg

Although at some point its had rentals fitted, so going to keep a lookout on the bay to convert it back to clipons.

Its a really solid piece of british engineering. Much heavier than the newer S3's - it feels like its made of granite, but with bags of torque and charachter. 14 years old and only 16k miles with a full service history, so the basis of a decent run around for the summer, then will take it off the road in winter as a project bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom