Got a letter from my ISP (VM) oh noes!

Soldato
I don't particularly abuse my connection so I was surprised to receive this email from Virgin Media the other day:

VM Letter said:
Detrimental use of your broadband connection

As you know, we don't place any limits on how much data you can use on our broadband service. However, we've recently noticed an unusually large amount of data being transferred over your broadband connection between 9am and 9pm.

This is a problem because it is now having an adverse effect on the quality and speed of other customers' service in your area during the busiest times of the day. Under our Acceptable Use Policy we do reserve the right to take action in these rare circumstances, which affects less than 0.1% of our customers.

With this in mind we would ask you to move a large proportion of your uploading and downloading outside the busy 9am-9pm period. This will ensure you don't inadvertently affect the enjoyment of other users in your area.

If you're not sure why your broadband usage is so high during these times, try the following:

1. Check whether other members of your household are using your connection for uploading or downloading without your knowledge.
2. Make sure your wireless router is password protected and that you.ve got encryption switched on - if your connection isn't secure, you could be sharing your broadband with the rest of your street ( www.virginmedia.com/help/wireless ).
3. Make sure your PC security software is up to date and active. If you don't have any security software or yours isn't up to date, try using PCguard to keep your computer safe from viruses ( www.virginmedia.com/help/internetsecurity ).

You can view our Acceptable Use Policy at www.virginmedia.com/acceptableuse

If you have any questions or need help sorting this out, just give us a call, quoting the reference number above, on 0845 234 7007 between 8am and midnight, Monday to Sunday.

Yours sincerely

What criteria do VM use to determine what that level of "abuse" is?

Is it 'downloaded/uploaded X amount of data over X time' or something? The reason i ask is because i haven't really changed my down/uploading habits lately.. although I guess i have been uploading pretty much constantly (but only at a rate of 20K/sec on average - and even then, it's usually overnight).

Man of Honour
So do you know the total GB per day / month you've transferred? It must be a lot to actually get a letter. I download maybe 30-40GB a month.

Soldato
Gosh that's actually a rather pleasant AUP letter. Friends of mine pull in excess of 100GB on their Virgin lines without any complaint, although I believe that it's mainly off-peak usage.

Associate
yeah me too :)

ME TOOOOOO Well worth the outlay IMHO :D

727645233.png

Last edited:
Soldato
That does sound a reasonable letter, they at least say to just move your downloads outside the 9am to 9pm window..

As for absolute levels, I think these days, they don't specify, it comes down to your area and contention etc, if you are in a heavily over-subscribed area, then they would probably ping high usage customers far earlier in terms of upload/download limits, then someone in an under-subscribed area.. Because the wording is usually that you are in breach of the FUP when you start impacting on the service to others.

Soldato
I don't understand a need for someone to download more than 100gb a week. Even if you download HD movie files, that's 10 new films a week. I don't get time to watch ten movies a year! ;)

Caporegime
I don't understand a need for someone to download more than 100gb a week. Even if you download HD movie files, that's 10 new films a week. I don't get time to watch ten movies a year! ;)

I'm currently downloading about that much, however it will stop in a few days.

I'm currently downloading my entire MSDN software catalog.

Man of Honour
I'm on the 50meg service. I can do what I want. I reccommend the upgrade as they don't monitor your connection and no FUP applies :)

They monitor, trust me, every ISP monitors every connection and has a fair idea of your usage, VM do it far more diligently than most... (ie, they actually spend money on analysis software for that purpose, rather than network engineers hacking together a top users script in perl).

Soldato
I download a fair bit, around 60Gb a week i wreckon, i do all of it at night though, keeps everyone happy and im a night owl anyway, do it when i get in form work so its all 12 till 3/4 in the morning.

Actually looking at that 60gb seems a fair fair bit, prolly not half of that when i think about it.

Back
Top Bottom