Gaming Headphones

Caporegime
I'm looking at possibly getting some decent headphones for my 360 and possibly my PS3.

Now I have seen the Turtle Beach X41's, what's the feeling on these? I've got an Elite through component if that makes a difference to how it would all connect up.

Is there any other option I should consider?

X41's appeal because of the built in mic for the 360 (I know it doesn't work for the PS3).

So are they worth £150?

Soldato
Best bet is to get a astro mixamp. This provides "dolby head phone" which simulates 5.1 in any good quality stereo headphones. you can then buy the astro headset or a nice set of headphones like. ad700-900 or senns hd555-600

Caporegime
OP
Hmmm £200 for the combined package of the amp and the headphones.

Convincing my other half of spending £150 would be hard enough, let alone another £50 on top of that. :D

Caporegime
When I was looking at the x4's I read lots of bad things about the wireless dropping and interference so decided to just go with the x1's instead.

I read lots of good magazine reviews but very few good user reviews.

Soldato
Hmmm £200 for the combined package of the amp and the headphones.

Convincing my other half of spending £150 would be hard enough, let alone another £50 on top of that. :D

Maybe get the amp and pick up some hd-555's could probably get a pair for around £50 or just over. Then get a cheap pc mic.

Soldato
When I was looking at the x4's I read lots of bad things about the wireless dropping and interference so decided to just go with the x1's instead.

I read lots of good magazine reviews but very few good user reviews.

I had the X4's which were good, I now have the X-41's which are even better, no dropouts or interference with these and you can now have the reciever wherever you want.

Caporegime
I had the X4's which were good, I now have the X-41's which are even better, no dropouts or interference with these and you can now have the reciever wherever you want.

Did you get inference on the x4's then? Why did you upgrade them for the new ones?

I didn't realise you used them, I thought you used the standard 360 headset when we played.

How much did the X41's cost?

Soldato
I didn't get any interference on the X4's either but I had read of people suffering from it. The only problem with those were you had to be line of site with the receiver so I flogged them on when I found out the X41's were due and only lost a few quid on them.

I only use them in the evening when the kids are in bed as I am a considerate father ;) (Sometimes)

I think I paid £140 for the X-41s, I can't remember where I got them from so I can't check my order history :p

Soldato
I'm looking at possibly getting some decent headphones for my 360 and possibly my PS3.

Now I have seen the Turtle Beach X41's, what's the feeling on these? I've got an Elite through component if that makes a difference to how it would all connect up.

Is there any other option I should consider?

X41's appeal because of the built in mic for the 360 (I know it doesn't work for the PS3).

So are they worth £150?

Absolutely worth every penny. I got a set for Christmas and I have used them everyday since, and they are absolutely brilliant. I don't experience any of the issues that other people reckon there are with them. No dropouts, no interference. Along with the fact that these babies are wireless, another big plus for me is that the mic is detachable, along with the cable so they're perfect for single-player use as well as when gaming with friends. The amp is really good and I've wired mine through my region-free DVD player as well so that if I want to watch a movie when the Mrs has gone to bed, I can watch it without it getting on her nerves :D

Is it true what I read about users who have these and play MW2 that they really help pick out the sounds and movements?

For me, they have made a huge difference. I can hear sounds that I would normally have strained to hear when playing the sound through speakers, and I can almost always pinpoint where an enemy is running around when I hear their footsteps. They have definitely made my gameplay a lot sharper than it was before due to simply knowing where things are going on during a game. Add to this the fact that the surround sound on them works really well, you're treated to a really great gaming experience when playing most games with these headphones.

I was tempted to go for the Astro's, as I initially had some reservations about the X41's due to some of the posts flying about on the net, but after pricing them up at well over £200, I decided to go for the X41's and try my luck. As I said above, I've had no issues with them. They do use batteries quite quickly, but I bought myself an Ansmann Powerline 5 Mobile along with 4 800mAh AAA batteries, and I get a good 5 days use out of a charge of the batteries, so I'm more than happy :)

Caporegime
I've not seen them cheap anywhere.

Danny, are the X1's decent ? Any better quality than other similar priced headphones ?

They are ok for what they are, tbh I don't use them 99% of the time. I only use them for late night rock band when my boy is in bed. For all other gaming I use the speakers and a normal headset as my gaming room doesn't back onto any bedrooms.

Cheers Wyrdo, might have to look into a set of those when I look for a 2nd headset.

Soldato
Missed this thread :o

Best bet is to get a astro mixamp. This provides "dolby head phone" which simulates 5.1 in any good quality stereo headphones. you can then buy the astro headset or a nice set of headphones like. ad700-900 or senns hd555-600

Seconded. :) And if you don't get the Astro Amp, determinately get something that supports Dolby Headphone.

Soldato
Also using a set of X41s here, if you are after a set of wireless phones then these are ideal. The sound staging seems pretty good and in MW2 it did help with detecting enemies. Also have my main PC wired through these.

Back
Top Bottom