Buyer Dies on Test Drive..

Soldato
LINK to site with article + pics here

**CAR BUYER DIES IN 100MPH TEST DRIVE**

A TRAGIC "hot hatch" fan died when he was taken for a 100mph ride in the dream car he planned to buy for his 21st birthday.
Student Gavin Collier travelled 50 miles to see the Peugeot 106 Rallye after spotting it for sale on the internet.

The young owner took him for a test spin, but lost control on a country road and crashed into a parked car before hitting a wall.

Front-seat passenger Gavin was killed instantly, while the 21-year-old driver was airlifted to hospital.

He was yesterday in a serious condition and police plan to interview him when he is fit enough to talk about the horrific crash near Tenby, West Wales.

Excited Gavin, who would have been 21 next Monday, took a mate with him to view the £2,000 blue Peugeot, top speed 121mph.

They travelled from his home in Neath, South Wales, and Gavin was carrying the cash for the limited edition motor in his pocket.

But his friend was still waiting for him to return when he saw the air ambulance fly overhead to the scene of the wreckage. Gavin was a regular contributor to a website called Saxperience, which is dedicated to boy racers' favourite the Citroen Saxo.

More than 1,800 friends and family have left tributes on a Facebook site set up in memory of the youngster, who was known by the nickname Japman.

Friends are now planning to stage a lap of honour at the annual French Car show for Peugeots and Citroens held every summer in Rockingham, Northants.

Gavin was the only child of dad Jonathan, an electrician at a hospital in Neath. His mum Janet died from cancer when he was in his teens. Dyfed Powys Police are appealing to other motorists who saw the blue Peugeot moments before the fatal accident.

A police source said the car was severely damaged and was travelling at up to 100mph.

A spokeswoman said: "A blue Peugeot 106 was travelling towards Tenby when it appears to have lost control and collided with a stationary vehicle parked at the roadside.

"As a result, a 20-year-old male received fatal injuries. The next of kin have been informed.

"The driver of the Peugeot was airlifted to hospital, where he is described as being in a serious but stable condition."

:(

/edit - Don't think its a repost, searches but couldn't find anything!

Last edited:
Soldato
He was a friend of a few of my mates apparently. Very sad circumstances, apparently there has been a lot of speculation over the accident, it's cause and the road worthiness of the car.

RIP, poor lad.

Soldato
crikey. i hate getting in cars with other people. im the worst passenger going

bad luck if it was a freak accident but if he was driving like a tool then the passenger should have told him to stop driving like a tool

Don
Such a waste :( Would his chances have been improved if it were a more modern car with better safety standards or an ounce of side impact protection?

Soldato
Such a waste :( Would his chances have been improved if it were a more modern car with better safety standards or an ounce of side impact protection?

More than likely yeah, the 106 Rallye has a 1.5 star ncap rating, so even a shopping trolley has better protection.

Most modern hatch backs are 4-5 star rating.

Still such a tragedy, I hate being a passenger in a car and I would certainly have something to say if the person driving was a tool.

Caporegime
What a sad story.

Why on earth did the owener drive in such a wreckless way?

Showboating?

I know if anyone on a test drive went over 70 I would demand they either slow down, or stop and let me out.

Permabanned
wonder if the cash survived?!

Most of your post on here make no sense at all :confused:

The driver and passenger are both dead so RIP :( The buyer of the 106 was in the passenger seat (Gav) while the owner of the 106 was driving it like a tool at 100MPH and crashed into a parked car with the passenger side taking the impact hence the instant death, the driver passed away in hospital it seems. Such a tragic loss.

Back
Top Bottom