Saw a B2 Stealth today

Associate
Nice aircraft, as long as it's not raining, the radar proof skin doesn't work too well when wet :p
They didn't find this out for quite a while as they were tested in Arizona, afaik, and were a bit miffed when they showed up on our radar.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nope. And there's only ever been 21 built. However, one crashed on takeoff from Andersen Air Force Base on Guam last year, so there's now 20 remaining.

That's what $1,400,000,000 looks like on fire.
And think at what the money from ten those could have done for the space program... Of course 10 instead of 20 odd would have compromised security :rolleyes:

Soldato
It's called a B-2 Spirit. I'm pedantic. :)

I saw one at RAF Fairford in 1997 and it was truly awe-inspiring. I've never known a crowd react to a plane like that before or since.

I'm pretty sure that is when I saw one also. My lasting memory of it was, It sitting at the end of the runway ready to take off surrounded in heat haze. It looked beautiful and evil all in one go! Amazing :cool:

Associate
Nope. And there's only ever been 21 built. However, one crashed on takeoff from Andersen Air Force Base on Guam last year, so there's now 20 remaining.

That's what $1,400,000,000 looks like on fire.

The findings of the subsequent investigation stated that the B-2 crashed after "heavy, lashing rains" caused water to enter skin-flush air-data sensors, which feed angle of attack and yaw data to the computerized flight-control system. The water distorted preflight readings in three of the plane's 24 sensors, causing the flight-control system to send an erroneous correction to the B-2 on takeoff. The B-2 quickly stalled, became unrecoverable, and subsequently crashed

LOL! It crashed because of rain!

Back
Top Bottom