PSN goes all Millennium Bug on us

Caporegime
As far as I know it resets the clock and then you can manually set it to today's date bypassing the date that borket the system, but the problem is if it is a problem with the logic of the chip then fixing it this way could mean that you would run into the same problem again @ the next leap year.
If thats the case then when the system works out its the 01/03/2010 and so a valid date it will all work fine and can be manually changed to the right date...

A paragraph from

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/7054587/The-myth-of-the-Sony-kill-switch.html

Of course, the "Sony Timer" has never been proved and there’s no evidence that it’s anything other than a Japanese urban legend. But things got pretty interesting when it was revealed that a bug in selected E-Series Bravia TVs meant they’d only last 1,200 hours, before refusing to power on or off. This conveniently adds up to about 3 hours watching per day for one year, the exact period of the television’s warranty. Sony issued a software patch to fix the problem.

Makes you wonder......
CBA to read the link but you could quite easily divide the MTBF by the warranty period and give you quite a nice usage per day figure for most things I would have thought...

@Memphis - La la la la la - least we will all get a free month of PSN like you Xboxers do when it RRODs...
...Oh wait ;):p

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
A paragraph from

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/7054587/The-myth-of-the-Sony-kill-switch.html

Of course, the "Sony Timer" has never been proved and there’s no evidence that it’s anything other than a Japanese urban legend. But things got pretty interesting when it was revealed that a bug in selected E-Series Bravia TVs meant they’d only last 1,200 hours, before refusing to power on or off. This conveniently adds up to about 3 hours watching per day for one year, the exact period of the television’s warranty. Sony issued a software patch to fix the problem.

Makes you wonder......

i guess playstation 4 is coming out :rolleyes:

Associate
If thats the case then when the system works out its the 01/03/2010 and so a valid date it will all work fine and can be manually changed to the right date...

CBA to read the link but you could quite easily divide the MTBF by the warranty period and give you quite a nice usage per day figure for most things I would have thought...

@Memphis - La la la la la - least we will all get a free month of PSN like you Xboxers do when it RRODs...

Your theory is logical.

Soldato

:D:D

Will be very interesting to see if Sony offer anything by way of an apology though. So what if my machine likely wouldn't have even been powered up today ;):D.

Actually that's a lie, I was thinking of picking up Heavy Rain a little later :).

Caporegime
I'm still confused. Say a man in the street had bought an old console and never connected his console online, would he not be able to play Trophy based games? Or is it just that consoles that have connected to PSN at least once have the bug?

There must be a subset of users out there with no internet who just play offline and rarely, if ever update Firmware?

rp2000

Caporegime
OP
I'm still confused. Say a man in the street had bought an old console and never connected his console online, would he not be able to play Trophy based games? Or is it just that consoles that have connected to PSN at least once have the bug?

There must be a subset of users out there with no internet who just play offline and rarely, if ever update Firmware?

rp2000

Doesn't firmware come on some discs?

rp2000

It doesn't matter if it's never been connected to the net or even updated, it's an internal clock error.

Associate

rp2000
My girlfriends brother never updated actually (he never put it online for the silly reason he doesn't know how to make an account since he's not good with tech). I'll ask him about it when I can but no idea when that'll be.

Caporegime
Doesn't firmware come on some discs?

I don't know, I have never had a game force me to update, but it is possible, I know some PSP gams used to do that.

Seems a bit rubbish that ppl with no internet are affected by the bug if it was a firmware forced on them via a disc based game. Can't imagine how they would fix it without sending you out new firmware etc.

rp2000

Caporegime
I don't know, I have never had a game force me to update, but it is possible, I know some PSP gams used to do that.

Seems a bit rubbish that ppl with no internet are affected by the bug if it was a firmware forced on them via a disc based game. Can't imagine how they would fix it without sending you out new firmware etc.

rp2000

They would download the fixed firmware from the PS site and install via USB stick.

Soldato
Only 7 hrs to go for all the old PS3 to start working again (maybe) SLIM FOR THE WIN!!!

Cant understand how its happened though? There has been a leap year since the PS3 release, also xx10 hasnt been a leap for the last 200 years lol :confused:

Associate
From what it seems its pretty much certain they will all work tomorrow. It's just a clash of hardware Vs O.S

Remember...

10 print "Mark is Ace"

20 Goto 10

30 end

Imagine 10 doesn't exist ,the rest of the programming wouldn't work..

tomorrow 10 will exist...

Caporegime
I wonder what about the people who have never updated firmware and are still using a version prior to the trophies being introduced. What happens when they try to play a trophy game? There must be some folks out there.

Soldato
I imagine they'll just bundle in a firmware update on the disk with a load of new games that prompt for an install if the user has old firmware. It's only a hundred-odd mb which is nothing in bluray terms and it means all users will eventually get the fix to this issue.

Back
Top Bottom