Motorbike: Had my first off

Associate
Pics of the bike:
DSC_3244.JPG

DSC_3247.JPG

DSC_3249.JPG

DSC_3250.JPG

mspaint.jpg

I lowsided my SV650 this morning on some black ice. I came round a corner at 25-30mph, saw a huge patch of water across the road, got the bike upright as best I could but not enough. Front wheel slowly went, then the back came round as well. Went down onto it's right side and I watched it slide down the road in a shower of sparks into the verge opposite.

No other cars involved. I'm 100% ok with no bruises, bumps, aches or pains.

Crash bung took the worse of the damage but my rear brake pedal is bent (still usable, but needs replacing). My exhaust also has a nice scrape on the engine end.

So I wondered if people knew of some good places for spares?
The bike is an SV650S SK8, I need a rear brake pedal and an H&G crash bobbin (can you buy just the nylon bobbins separately?)

I was wearing full HG textile kit which I've put a few holes in - can you get Kordura patches to glue on?

I'm annoyed with myself for not taking the car this morning, but I've escaped without injury which is the main thing.

Last edited:
Associate
I dont think you can repair or its not worthwhile, textiles last one accident afaik

Thankfully no injuries to yourself but the bike......

Soldato
Glad to hear you are ok. From your description it sounds like there was nothing you could do to avoid it, bad luck m8.

Any kit you were wearing, if it is damaged and looks like it *might* be the slightest bit dodgy to use again - bin it. Did your skid lid take even the slightest knock?. I'm guessing it did. Don't risk it, bin it. If there is a "next time" you don't want to be sliding up the road towards an immovable object at speed with a previously crashed lid on your bonce.

Jacket sounds trashed, I'd suggest just getting another one. Things like gloves and boots can be used again but only if they didn't take any big impacts or abrasions.

Could have been a lot worse ( hardly any consolation to you I know ) but had there been another vehicle involved.......doesn't bear thinking about.

As I said, glad you are okay, no bumps or bruises?. Wow. Going by the distance you moved when you left the bike and ended up off road that is quite amazing. Gotta be one of your 9 lives used up there, stay safe!!. :D

Associate
OP
The patch of water is something which is there almost everyday, I always take it with the bike upright as possible, but what I wasn't expecting was the ice.

While I was sorting the bike out 2 cars came round the corner skidded and crashed into each other on the ice. Another bike and a further 3 cars had major tail happy moments. We phone the police to report the incident and they said they'd put a request for the road to be gritted.

My jacket and trousers will be replaced, my boots have a scuffed buckle but like my gloves are otherwise untouched.
My helmet doesn't have a mark on it, but I opted for kit cover with my bike insurance so it'll be replaced.

Showing the bike to a colleague at work he couldn't believe how light the damage was for a 30mph off. I am quite amazed at how I don't have a mark on me.
8 years of climbing and snowboarding have taught me something about how to fall - that and some amazing luck!

Soldato
My helmet doesn't have a mark on it, but I opted for kit cover with my bike insurance so it'll be replaced.

A wise move.

8 years of climbing and snowboarding have taught me something about how to fall - that and some amazing luck!

/off topic - Nice, a fellow climber. I'm predominantly a sport climber but I do the odd classic and scramble now and again. Get plenty of practice at work as I'm a Rope Rescue Technician in the Fire & Rescue Service. :)

Soldato
Only thing about the kit insurance is they will want to inspect it first and then decide, so expect them to say no in the first instant!

Soldato
Glad you're ok paddy, an off is never a nice thing, but at least you walked away with only a financial hit, so there's a bright side :)

I took my R1 into work today, the roads are still a bit pap at the moment, I'm planning to use it again tomorrow, just hope things start to warm up soon!

Soldato
Saw this yesterday but forgot to post,

Glad you're ok, I had a sideways moment in the car on the way to work due to ice, glad I wasn't riding a bike :p

Associate
A friend turned upto work today - broken collarbone, 2 broken ribs 3 weeks ago in an enduro accident hos only dissapointment was he couldn't race next month!

Associate
OP
Contacted insurance today, paperwork being sent out for leathers etc and the bike is being collected tomorrow (Wednesday).

It's a slightly silly question but what are the standard of repairs like through insurance companies? Official parts etc or 3rd party cheaper stuff?

I also have a 3rd party exhaust on the bike (Delkevic Titanium), the exact model of which isn't available, what is likely to happen?

Associate
OP
Bit of a thread bump.

Had an unexpected phone call today saying that my bike was fixed, and that it would be delivered this afternoon :)

A few quick pics - it was about to rain so excuse the lack of artistic merit...

DSC_3386.jpg

DSC_3388.jpg

DSC_3389.jpg

DSC_3390.jpg

Overall I'm very pleased.

I had to go through a couple of phone calls with the workshop who were doing the repairs as my original exhaust isn't made anymore. They wanted me to confirm I was happy for my old 460mm exhaust to be replaced with the new 350mm version :D

New exhaust sounds awesome with a real low grumble when you come off the throttle. I also think it looks a lot better - see sig for link to original pictures.

Just waiting now for the other insurance claim for my helmet and leathers to be processed and I'll be back on the road :)

/off topic - Draeger, where do you normally go sport climbing? I'm normally a Gritstone trad monkey but I occasionally find myself on granite and limestone around the country. Saying that the last 2 times I've been outside climbing was to an old limestone quarry in the peak for some bolt clipping... I'm turning to the dark side!

Back
Top Bottom