Motorbike padlock and chain advice

Associate
I'd say just for looping through the rear wheel and attaching it to something nearby that'll be fine.

I have a 2m chain and that loops twice around my rear tyre.

You might go longer if you wanted some more flexibility on chaining it up. Get a piece of rope, hose, string of the same length and try it out :)

Associate
Get a tape measure and some string, see how long a piece of chain you'll require. In my opinion the longer the better :)

I can take a picture of my 2m Almax this evening on my bike if you want something visual

Soldato
OP
I went for a 1.5m Oxford Hardcore XL. It probably puts of most opportunist thieves but if I had a more expensive bike I'd have invested a bit more.

Fits under my seat perfectly too so that's a bonus.

Associate
I have a chain for home use then a disk lock which sits under the seat for "out and about" use.

Oxford something or other - no alarm, D-lock style

Associate
Almax III 2m chain
DSC_3254.JPG

Locked around rear wheel (twice round, then locked)
DSC_3255.JPG

Associate
That is some chain Paddy!

Do you not use a ground anchor?
The Almax III is 16mm link, the series IV is 19mm... now that's beefy!

I currently live in a rented house so can't fix a ground anchor, give it a few months and I'll have a "Hardie-Secure" anchor setup

Associate
The Almax III is 16mm link, the series IV is 19mm... now that's beefy!

I currently live in a rented house so can't fix a ground anchor, give it a few months and I'll have a "Hardie-Secure" anchor setup

I've got the series IV 2m chain, I really don't like carrying that around, when I do I use a tailpack, cargo net and bungee cables and am still not overly confident about it.

Even if you've not got anything to chain it to at the moment, at least pass the chain over the seat and lock it off tight so that it isn't on the floor.

When locking mine up the link on the series IV will only just go through the hole in the swingarm...

When I've got a bit more spare cash I'll be getting another 2 series IV chains one for the GFs place and one for the office.

Associate
Even if you've not got anything to chain it to at the moment, at least pass the chain over the seat and lock it off tight so that it isn't on the floor.

That's something I'll try, I'm not happy about the locking situation at the moment. However by the time my bike gets back from the repair shop I should have a snazzy double garage to play with :)

Back
Top Bottom