The all things Anime related thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
So whats everyones top 3 animes just so i know what i should look out for:)

Only three! .... it's nigh on impossible to boil it down to that few a number (and the chances are that unless you like the same genres you won't like them anyway :)) .... a top 25 would be difficult enough ....

I'd guess the following (cheating slightly and counting three properties which may contain multiple series)

1). Clannad (inc Clannad & Clannad After Story) - Comedy/Emotional Drama
2). Maria-sama ga Miteru aka Maria Watches Over Us (inc Season 1-4) - Emotional Drama
3). Full Metal Panic (inc Season 1, Fumuffo and TSR) - Comedy, Action with a good dub.

I doubt you would go for number (2).

edit: ok, top 5 (from below) ...

4). Ghost in the Shell (inc all three films, Standalone Complex 1 & 2) - Action
5). The Story of Saiunkoku (has issue that second series is not currently licensed) - Historical Drama

Honourable mentions to Eureka 7 and A__a (the word is blocked on here, think undines)

Last edited:
Commissario
Top 5 is still very hard :p

In no particular order
A__a (all 3 seasons :p), very uplifting would be the only way to really describe it, no real action, just following the lives of the 3 trainee undines and their adventures along the way :)
Bubblegum Crisis (original OVA's) - everything from the character designs, to the level of detail (for the age), to the music seems to fit just right :)
GunBuster!
Last Exile.
Clannad/After Story

Films would have to be kept seperate I think :)
At the moment for me that would be
Totoro
Laputa
Paprika
Patlabor

Having said that my favourites do tend to vary depending on my mood at the time :)

Associate
De-lurking to post (I love lists me!). Bear in mid that my taste will be very different to everybody else. In order: -

Cowboy Bebop (+ Knockin' On Heaven's Door)
Legend Of the Galactic Heroes (never going to be licensed though :()
Mushi-shi
Time of Eve
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit

Soldato
In order of preference.

Ergo Proxy - Very serious action oriented drama, not to be taken lightly.
Cowboy bebop - Action/Comedy, some of the best characterization in anime history.
FLCL - 6 Episodes of hilarious insanity.
Bakemonogatari - Comedy/Drama with a mystical edge, mainly based on dialogue, incredible art and design.
Full Metal Alchemist - Action/Comedy, manages to mix light hearted comedy with gut wrenching emotional twists perfectly.
Elfen Lied - Action/Drama, bloody and emotional.

Last edited:
Soldato
I might look into Elfen Lied as the whole collection can be had for a fiver.

Edit: just got it for under a fiver so cant complain if its average.

Last edited:
Soldato
My top 3 would be:

1.Spice and Wolf
2.Full Metal Panic!
3.Elfen Lied (didnt realise this was available for a £5 :o)

Bakes, mind telling me where you found it, I haven't seen the complete collection less than £17 in the UK? I've probably missed somewhere obvious, but it wasnt any of the sites I'd normally look at, and the complete set for £5 is too good to miss :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I think we're allowed to talk about competitors for games and stuff now as long as we're not actually talking about stuff OcUK sell.

If you mean play, I did check there and the collection is 17.99, unless you mean disc one of 4 which is 5.99 a pop, unless you got it from one of the traders? :)
Would appreciate knowing as the collection would definately be worth it at a £5 :)

Last edited:
Associate
Just finished Baccano which was a wonderfully twisted and convoluted story but fantastic and really entertaining to watch :). Its a shame it was only 16 episdoes long. Im tempted to pick up some of the light novels for this :). Isaac and Miria's little double act stole the show for me lol.

Soldato
Alright list your top 5 thats all:D

Anime series - tough to pick top 5
Eureka Seven (not the film thats rubbish in comparison)
Zoids Genesis
Vandread (in english :eek:)
Black Lagoon (both barrages)
Rozen Maidens (series 1 and 2 plus traumend)

honourable mention (and cheating):)
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
Gundam 00
Elementar gelade
Magical Girl Nanoha Series
Toradora
Shakugan No Shana
Zero's familar

Films - harder as I'm more a series kind of guy so assuming japanese cg can be included :)
Appleseed and Appleseed Ex Machina (I class them as a package deal)
Princess Mononoke
Final Fantasy Advent Children
Toppen Tengan Gurren Lagann (Gurren-hen and Lagann-hen)

you can add me onto the £5 elfen lied list too :)

Associate
Series wise

Samurai Champloo
Samurai Jack
Eden of the East
07 Ghost
Devil May Cry

films,
Final fantasy advent children and spirits within.
Princes mononoko, Howls moving castle.
Ghost in the shell

Soldato
Finished watching Yozakura Quartet last night. Series is about a group of people living in a town where humans and demons live together and how they use their powers to protect the town against demons who want to destroy it and generally keep the piece.

Not a bad little series with some interesting ideas but overall it felt to small. The series seemed to be one plot arc with the odd episode covering a bit of back story. But this main plot could have probably been covered just as well in 3 or 4 episodes as a climax to the series and hence there could have been two or three other arcs raising the interest level a bit higher.

It's not a bad series but not great. It's a bare bones Sentai sub only release too.

Caporegime
Finally dragged my way to the end of Clannad. Very disappointed in this series. Read the plot summary of After Story on Wikipedia and decided I wouldn't bother with it.

Just another dull harem anime, straight out of the box. Several of the characters had potential, but they were never allowed to develop. Everyone felt two dimensional and in the end I didn't give a toss about what happened to whom.

Soldato
Finally dragged my way to the end of Clannad. Very disappointed in this series. Read the plot summary of After Story on Wikipedia and decided I wouldn't bother with it.

Just another dull harem anime, straight out of the box. Several of the characters had potential, but they were never allowed to develop. Everyone felt two dimensional and in the end I didn't give a toss about what happened to whom.

I disagree with everything you have stated ... but each to their own (I've already made my opinions on this series known already in this thread)

Associate
Shame, its like reading half a book and not bothering to finish it

Just another dull harem anime, straight out of the box.

Never thought it was dull tbh, while allot of 'harem' anime are fanservice spectacular i thought this focused on the characters really well

Several of the characters had potential, but they were never allowed to develop.

All of the main characters had significant plot arcs that developed their characters :S, some more subtle than others ill grant you

Everyone felt two dimensional and in the end I didn't give a toss about what happened to whom.

Well being based on a visual novel it can't be helped that there are stereotypes. I just accepted it and enjoyed it for what it was and its certainly one of my all time favourites :) As said earlier all of the main characters had a plot arc developing their character, but the focus of the story is on Tomoya/Nagisa so they were always going to get the most development

Not having a go, just my thoughts :).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom