What computer upgrade has made you go WOW?

Soldato
This thread makes me want an SSD.

The biggest wows for me were

3DFX...this really was game changing. Video card upgrades these days are evolution. That was revolution.

The Internet..Email ! - seriously, sending few lines to someone in the US and getting a reply within the day was amazing !...sure we had faxes but this was on the computer !

Web browsing...No more Telnet sessions..look even images that you can see right there on the screen !

Leased line internet connection (64k was the first one) ...no more going to one of the office PC's with a modem, being able to access the net from your own desk via the LAN was a huge leap.

Frankly, most of the other stuff has just been more of the same, but slightly faster each time, or with more graphical fluff that soon becomes tiresome.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
i just don't think modern graphics card changes have the same impact they did in the first and second generation - they fundamentally changed what your pc can do, now it is a bit smoother, bit higher resolution, few more effects
Kind of agree with that. Upgrading to an ATI 4850 did not make me go jaw-dropping WOW, but playing CoD4 on it did :)

Soldato
The only one which has actually made me go "wow" was changing monitors! Everything else just gives more FPS in games and acts nearly the same in Windows (windows 7 was a nice upgrade, but not "wow"). I'm not exactly on a low end PC either (quad core i7, 6gb RAM, 4970).. I just don't find the upgrades all that impressive for normal use. An SSD might be worth a look though.

Soldato
Yep I remember it well. The 'click' of the 3DFX kicking into 3D mode for Turok was epic. The textures look so basic now but back then it was 'HD' compared to software rendering.

Ahh Turok, I remember it well :D I think that and Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight were I think the first 3D games I had, along with my Voodoo card.

Back
Top Bottom