• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI HD5770 and drivers 10.2 - crashing all the time

Associate
I have just setup a new PC. The VGA is Sapphire HD5770. I downloaded and installed the drivers from ATI, 10_2 and it's crashing all the time, it does not last more than 15 seconds past logon.

If I install the Catalyst drivers (big package), then the "Vdu Recover" tells me that the Ati drive became stuck. It saves a reboot, but after a few seconds it happens again and it blows up.

If I install the barebone drivers then it simply blows up and MS error tool says the offending driver was "ati2dvag".

I am about to download an older version of the drivers. However as it stands the VGA is unusable. Shall I give it back and buy a NVidia?

PS: The drivers installation package also require .net 3.5 to be present ...

Associate
OP
Windows XP SP3 32 bit. Fresh install on empty hard disk.

No overclocking whatsoever, everything is standard.

I think I may have a faulty card which shows the fault once the drivers ask it to do something.

Associate
OP
I tried 9.12 and it also crashed.

I removed the 5770 and installed my old, trusty 4870 from another PC. It also crashed. I removed / reboot/ and re-installed drivers and it still died. I know the 4870 works fine so there must be something wrong with the new motherboard on this new PC.

To double-verify, I put the new 5770 into my old PC and it is working perfectly. I went into World of Warcraft and played a bit, looks great.

So, whatever it is, it is related to the new PC: motherboard or Windows XP installation. It may be a setting in the BIOS maybe or some weird incompatibility between the motherboard and the 5770.

Any ideas?

Associate
OP
Corsair 650 Watts brand new. Actually, everything is brand new. And there is nothing that could draw power anywhere near the 650W. One hard disk, one DVD ROM, one VGA card and one motherboard. That's it.

If I do not install the ATI drivers, it works fine, albeit without any acceleration so it is prohibitively slow. But it works. Upon installation of the ATi drivers, both the 5770 and the 4870 crash, on that "Ati2dvag"

Last edited:
Associate
I've been having pretty much the same problems as the OP describes, sapphire 5770 vapor-x here.

However my crashes are only in-game. I've tried everything, reinstalled so many different versions of catalyst. Fresh install of Windows 7 with 10.3 Beta seems to be the MOST stable (ie. can game for ~20 mins). I've even reseated my GFX card, reseated my RAM, done extended memory diagnostics.

Next is the PSU: I have a Antec true power 650W PSU on the way today to replace the sub-standard dell oem 375W PSU i have been running it with. I figured 5770, low power consumption, should be alright..

We will soon find out if its the culprit or not, my odds are no its not, and i will simply have to RMA the card due to some instability in the gfx card causing the crashes (there has been a slew of people having similiar problems right across the board, and on all different kinds of set-ups).

Let's hope I'm wrong. I'll keep you updated :)

Associate
10.2 are completely unusable for me too, as soon as a game is loaded its a system lock up, and at times even just browsing causes it, installing 9.12 fixed everything and I have a 100% stable system (verified by spending the last two days playing bc2 for many many hours :) )

Associate
hmm, i guess your best option is to change each component one at a time to isolate the problem, starting with ram, youve already outlawed the graphics card so theres only a few bits left to test.

if that doesn yield a result then it must be software related

Associate
OP
I discovered the 5770 + ATi drivers would work fine in the 2nd PCI-E slot. However in that slot, CPU-Z said that the PCI-E link width was 4x with max supported 16x. So I moved the card back to the primary slot and made some BIOS changes. It had to do with the motherboard adjusting voltages dynamically I set it to "Intel Standard". I made some more changes. It now seems to work. But CPU-Z says "Link width is 8x". My 4870 on the older PC says 16x.

What is the correct setting and how do you set it up?

Soldato
i have a 5770 vapour-x and had the same BSOD ati2dvag error. and i tried all drivers from 9.10 to 10.2 and i got the error with all drivers. the thing is though, i didn't get the BSOD all the time, it was totally random. Somtimes i could game for 5 hours + with no error, others times i would get it after 20mins etc, like i said totally random. after trying everything like changing PSU etc i took out 2 slots of ram. i was running 6gigs 2x 2gb and 2x 1gb sticks. So im thinking its something to do with having a unstable pc. I think these cards are really sensitive to that, i could be wrong though. But since taking out those 2x 1gb sticks of ram. i haven't had 1 single BSOD ati2dvag error and its been a good few weeks now... (touch wood)

Associate
Update: Tested 5770 in another rig (DDR3 chipset mobo). Ran like a beaut, no problems whatsoever.

New PSU on my machine did nothing for the card.

Updating BIOS had no effect for me.

Last thing im going to test is alternative RAM to see if thats it.

Associate
Tbh the first thing to check in an unstable pc is the ram, memtest takes less than 20 min.

Actually tried to run memtest, but it crashed o.O
Didn't report any errors; however I have run two Memory Diagnostic tests from the BIOS, second time the extended tests ran for over 45mins, no errors found.

Do you think memtest could spot something bios testing can't? :confused:

Associate
Put the old RAM in, took the new stuff out, still crashed consistently, looks like another RMA!!

What's up with 5770, too good to be true? Did they have to use some sub-standard component on the board to offer it at such a low price point??

Fingers crossed I'll get a goodun this time!

Back
Top Bottom