Bikers - anyone transport backup tapes, HDD's & componants on the bike?...

Associate
...if so, do you use specific cases(for backup tapes) or bags or panniers to protect this kit?
Im finding myself on the road a lot between East and West London between data centers and am looking to get the company to buy me kit to carry these parts etc safely.

Also, any ideas where I could get a frame/hard panniers to fit a 1997 CBR600f?

Cheers!

Soldato
Nope never used anything to protect them, im surprised my boss let me carry them about as he knows how I ride :D

Thought I have thought about getting a fireproof box to store them at home..

Honda do a Repsol Rep Hard plastic backpack, that might offer some protection.

Last edited:
Associate
Hmmm...I think your boss would not be impressed with what myself and one of my colleagues do.

I've got a VTR 1000 SP2, He's got a K8 GSX-R 1000.

I think the heaviest we've used cargo nets and bungees to secure was a 1U HP server.

The usual thing I ferry about though are Cisco Catalyst switches.

As for HDDs, usually wrapped in bubble wrap and attached to the rear seat using a Kriega tailpack and cargo net.

If you want to ferry about backup tapes on a regular basis, and want a hard case which can be removed from the bike relatively easily then Givi make a decent selection.

Associate
OP
Cheers chaps.
Im looking for a relatively easily removable hard or semi hard side panniers.
I cant do tail packs as my legs are comedically short and I cant kick over them without having an incident :D
Im thinking Kappa semi rigid side panniers that I can fit a 20 slot LTO case and a generic padded case for other bits into.

Associate
Honda do a Repsol Rep Hard plastic backpack, that might offer some protection.

I'd have my reservations about wearing anything hard on my back. Even having something hard or bulky in my rucksack makes me feel uneasy (ah the innuendos).

I'd much rather get them sort of items into panniers.

Associate
Cheers chaps.
Im looking for a relatively easily removable hard or semi hard side panniers.
I cant do tail packs as my legs are comedically short and I cant kick over them without having an incident :D
Im thinking Kappa semi rigid side panniers that I can fit a 20 slot LTO case and a generic padded case for other bits into.

I bought some Ortileb soft panniers last year. Removed and installed with minimum effort. They're rigid enough to hold their shape, but I wouldn't transport anything fragile in them without making sure it was in a solid container itself. They're totally waterproof as well. Really chuffed with them.

at1.jpg

Soldato
I'd have my reservations about wearing anything hard on my back. Even having something hard or bulky in my rucksack makes me feel uneasy (ah the innuendos).

I'd much rather get them sort of items into panniers.

Good point! I always wear a back protector but would be easier to not have anything solid in a backpack.

Id go for a givi rack.

Man of Honour
best transport I've done is a 19" widescreen monitor, boxed. just balance on tank between elbows... it's amazing how much you can carry this method lol

edit: in MCN years ago there was a story of a courier in london getting pulled as he had a tumble drier on his luggage rack...held on with a couple of bungees

Back
Top Bottom