Eragon Series

Soldato
Hola.

I read fantasy. I previously read ALL the Pratchett Discworld series (my favourite), some Robert Rankin (touch and go), Tolkien, Neil Gaiman and a couple of random authors who escape me.

Im looking for a new series to occupy my abundant spare time, but, im liited to choice as the bookshops here are, well, PeePee Poor. I can get books 3 or 4 of one series, then books two and four of another... but never book one.

The only series ive found that's complete is the Eragon books (the 3 books in total).

I'm not hugely into books set in the modern day (Neil Gaiman excepted) and like a fantasy world. I enjoyed Harry Potter as far as "young adult" books are concerned, and all the Pratchett "YA" books too. Will i enjoy Eragon, given my previous reading history?

If not, what else can you recommend? Joe Abercrombie had some nice looking books but i cant find part 1 here.

Cheers

Associate
Try any of the series by these authors:-

Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time
George R R Martin - Game of Thrones
Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth
Any book written by David Gemmell
A 2nd shout for Robin Hobb

I've only read the first two Eragon Books (there's four but No.4 is still being written) and thought they were "ok" but nothing startling.

Associate
Try any of the series by these authors:-

Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time
George R R Martin - Game of Thrones
Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth
Any book written by David Gemmell

these plus the tales of malazan series (high fantasy though so can be a hard read to understand all of it)

edit: also add the terry brooks Shannara series and pretty much all forgotten realms books (don't bother with Ed greenwood though as he's a terrible writer)

Last edited:
Don't really rate Eragon I read the first book and thought it was average at best I reccomend.

The Chronicles of Obernewtyn ~ Isobelle Carmody

Garth Nix ~ The Old Kingdom Series

Phillip Pullman ~ Dark Materials

David Eddings ~ The Belgariad & The Mallorean Series

Various ~ Star Wars Expanded Universe Novels (Han solo Trilogy On-wards anything set before this isn't Star Wars so far as I'm concerned!)

C.S Lewis ~ The Chronicles of Narnia

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the ideas guys/. I read through the other thread too and decided on A Song of Ice and Fire or the Wheel of Time series, depending on what i can find in the crap middle east bookshops.

Associate
i'd go for the song of ice and fire first, wheel of time drags on a bit after a few books as the author started dragging the story out for the sake of money.

Back
Top Bottom