OcUK Powerlifting Totals

Man of Honour
For me having a spotter there is more of a psychological thing. The bars would have caught the barbell fine - but also it's for just completing the rep even if I had failed, he'd have been able to pull me up enough to use my own strength to finish it off. Clearly he didn't feel he needed to spot me harder as he felt confident in my lift - I agree it wasn't the best spotting position, but, he does know what he's doing - so he made a call about my squatting at the time.

I should have and could have gone lower, I stupidly set the catch bars too high. Still, at least I know I can do it now, so next time will be more confident and lower. Yeah it came up quite easily, which leads me to believe I have more in me in terms of weight and depth.

Soldato
Looks like a good lift to me FF.

Deffinatley looks heavier than the 3 at 180KG you banged out! If you wen't slightly lower slight beginning of a stall? but deffinatley push through I rekon.

I agree about beging spotted so that you can finish the rep. Nout worse than taking some heavy weight down and not making it back up. Even if you are spotted better to make some use of the rep other than just a heavy negative and time wasted re/de-loading a bar!

Man of Honour
Looks like a good lift to me FF.

Deffinatley looks heavier than the 3 at 180KG you banged out! If you wen't slightly lower slight beginning of a stall? but deffinatley push through I rekon.

I agree about beging spotted so that you can finish the rep. Nout worse than taking some heavy weight down and not making it back up. Even if you are spotted better to make some use of the rep other than just a heavy negative and time wasted re/de-loading a bar!

Yeah the stall I think was owing to touching the catch bar, it put me off a bit :( However I feel I have more power when I go lower... maybe it's just me?

However I agree entirely with your last paragraph, even an assisted rep is better than no rep. :)

I've updated the total, I'm back up to 9th!! :cool: :D

Soldato
However I feel I have more power when I go lower... maybe it's just me?

I learnt about this on my Level 3. Think it comes into plyometrics a bit. As you go lower the range of motion is bigger. All muscles have an elastic property. Even though it may be a controlled deep squat the muscle itself is trying to resume normal length tension due to being over stretched (compared to a parralell squat) and thus gives a little extra boost/power as it contracts.

I think this is also why static holds are significantly harder.

Something like that :p Or could be to do with greater quad recruitment over glutes as you go lower.

Man of Honour
Well I think it certainly involves more muscles, glute, and hamstring activation. However being stuck in the "down" position could prove to be interesting! :D So more muscle involvement = more strength, and yes, as you say elastic properties and tension of muscles certainly come into play. Interesting though - I'll read into it a bit more. :)

Soldato
Plyometrics is very interesting, brilliant fun when we had a quick intro & play on my L3.

Though from what I'm told is you need to be mechanicially perfect & sound. Any imbalances or injuries will lead to major problems down the road. Workouts can consist of anything from 80-120 foot contacts and it's quite aerobic. Very repetative but brilliant for power. Ankles & knees killed after doing it for about 15 minutes!

Me and another lad were the only two who squatted out of 8 of us and were asked if we could 1.5BW squat and both replied:
'of course'
'Right, how about 1.5bw squat 5 time in 5 seconds?'
'Not a chance!'

It's all about firing neuro-muscular signals super quick & repeatedly.

I'm sure you'll find it very interesting.

Edit: WantoN is into his plyo stuff. Perhaps if he's about he could share some knowledge.

Caporegime
Doesn't look like a full squat to me Freefaller :confused:? Not complaining, you just don't go down very far, certainly not parallel.

I squat deeper then that. Considerably less weight mind.

Man of Honour
Oh it is parallel (prob the camera angle too doesn't help) but yes normally I go ATG (almost literally) - I did set the catch bar too high which got in my way on the way down. :(

Don't worry, I know what a proper squat is ;)

Associate
Oh it is parallel (prob the camera angle too doesn't help) but yes normally I go ATG (almost literally) - I did set the catch bar too high which got in my way on the way down. :(

Don't worry, I know what a proper squat is ;)

Good effort bud, as i said just swapped gyms & started at the new one today! - training at 07:00 4 times a week now instead of 3 times @ 19:30!! ... Just got into work from legs session feeling odd lol!

Squat
10x60
10x100
8x140
5x180
3x200
3x200

lots of les press then!

5 plate squat for one next week i recon! ill try and get a vid sorted too, one thing ill say is i squat a bit wider than what you do - more of a powerlifter squat - brings the glutes into it a lot more and reliefs the massive pressure in the knees! Was taught by a guy who competes in the world power lifting comps.. he is 15 stone and regulary squats 350+ although he does use a suit but still its insane!

Last edited:
Soldato
Been working on squatting ATG. I used to just do parallel and it makes a huge difference!

Most annoying thing now is the recovery times, the extra ROM on ATG has cause some wicked DOMS and rec times up to a week before I can hit it hard again!
3x120 ATG is now my best. That's 30Kg less than my parallel squat :( only a matter of time though :)

Next thing to be brought up to scratch has to be bench...it looks kinda small compared to my DL/Squats :(

Man of Honour
I find ATG easier and more natural than stopping at parallel but seeing as this was a first I thought let's just be careful! :D

I could try wider stance, but I guess I'm just used to being around shoulder width apart, I feel I have more power that way. I might give it a go, but we'll see. :)

Great lifting JC - most impressive.

Associate
I find ATG easier and more natural than stopping at parallel but seeing as this was a first I thought let's just be careful! :D

I could try wider stance, but I guess I'm just used to being around shoulder width apart, I feel I have more power that way. I might give it a go, but we'll see. :)

Great lifting JC - most impressive.

Thanks man!

I think i do ATG unsure really - i keep going untill quads are parralell or lower which means my hams are against my ancles more or less like.. Narrow i was stuck around about 160K then tried wider and couldnt even do 140, stuck at it and now can blast past 160... I tell you what though the 20 rep squat has helped a lot!... Got up to 130x20 reps... when doing my program above doing 140x8 feels so easy. Used to jump to then 160, but since the 20 rep i now jump to 180 so that has helped a lot, as NAILS as the 20 rep is!!! Its the hardest thing i have ever done! But it's definetly helped a lot!

Last edited:
Soldato
:D

update! All for 3-5 reps

Bench : 90
Squat : 140
Dead : 140

I've broken that barrier I'm having on Bench.. need to work on Deads though, maybe the competition will help a bit!

Associate
PRs - All at end of 12 wk WSBB DE/ME cycle
Squat - 245kg (Belt and Inzer wraps)
Bench - 170kg (Wrist wraps and belt)
Deadlift - 280kg (Belt)

Current - Post injury, 4 day maintenence split
Squat - 210kg (Raw)
Bench - 150kg (wraps)
Deadlift - 260kg (Belt)

Man of Honour
I'll have to update these when home as I don't have time today. Great lifting guys! :cool:

Focus - which would you rather I put on the leaderboard? And can you advise your bodyweight for the PBs?

Back
Top Bottom