Memory Reviews

Associate
I hope this is at least a reasonable section to put this in, because I was unsure where the best place to write it would be.

I recently wrote a fairly descriptive and hopefully useful review about my experience with the OCZ Gold memory (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-151-OC&tool=3)

The main of my review was the great delivery time from overclockers, but the problem that I had to RMA my product twice through OCZ. Also that it didn't pick up the correct timings out of the box. After my two RMAs, I eventually got a set that work absolutely fine, and are now stable. It's just a bit of hastle as still the timings are not picked up, and that I had to wait over a month for the two RMAs. ( Motherboard: X58M ).

My review was never put up, which I have a real problem with. I understand they get moderated, but surely just for outside links and anyone slating overclockers ( Which I wasn't, I actually said the delivery and help here was great ). I gave the product 2 or 3 stars ( can't remember exactly ).

So now,.. when i'm looking at products, i'm thinking... yeah.. here are the best reviews, do they honestly just delete the rest?
I clicked on memory and looked down the list and just saw most of them have 5* overall...

I'm really not impressed if thats the case, what is the point in having a reviewing system? It's deceiving to say the least.

Please can someone clear this up for me?

Associate
I hope this is at least a reasonable section to put this in, because I was unsure where the best place to write it would be.

I recently wrote a fairly descriptive and hopefully useful review about my experience with the OCZ Gold memory (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-151-OC&tool=3)

The main of my review was the great delivery time from overclockers, but the problem that I had to RMA my product twice through OCZ. Also that it didn't pick up the correct timings out of the box. After my two RMAs, I eventually got a set that work absolutely fine, and are now stable. It's just a bit of hastle as still the timings are not picked up, and that I had to wait over a month for the two RMAs. ( Motherboard: X58M ).

My review was never put up, which I have a real problem with. I understand they get moderated, but surely just for outside links and anyone slating overclockers ( Which I wasn't, I actually said the delivery and help here was great ). I gave the product 2 or 3 stars ( can't remember exactly ).

So now,.. when i'm looking at products, i'm thinking... yeah.. here are the best reviews, do they honestly just delete the rest?
I clicked on memory and looked down the list and just saw most of them have 5* overall...

I'm really not impressed if thats the case, what is the point in having a reviewing system? It's deceiving to say the least.

Please can someone clear this up for me?

I have had the same myself on more than 1 product, I no longer put any reviews up

Associate
OP
That's shocking. Apparently its only if a reviewer swears or asks questions about the product. This doesn't seem to be the case. I no longer trust the reviews on this site which is a shame.

Soldato
Nothing so sinister, all reviews are processed manually by the product manager for the item being reviewed. 5 days is a little much, you'd expect them to be looked at every day or two at least, but there it is.

The review was processed at 16.21 today, in the same batch everything else was 4-5 stars except for a cpu review (CP-192-IN). The only review he declined was 4 stars.

Associate
Total Received Reviews
1 Star - 26
2 Star - 14
3 Star - 16
4 Star - 52
5 Star - 414

Declined Reviews
1 Star - 20
2 Star - 10
3 Star - 9
4 Star - 13
5 Star - 40

Approved Reviews
1 Star - 6
2 Star - 4
3 Star - 7
4 Star - 39
5 Star - 374

From those figures here are the failure statistics
77% of 1 star reviews failed.
71.5% of 2 star reviews failed.
66% of 3 star reviews failed.
25% of 4 star reviews failed.
10% of 5 star reviews failed.

Now to me this does look sinister why is the pass rate higher as the stars go up so much that the difference in a 1 star review being passed and a 5 star review being passed is a whole 67% difference???

Soldato
Without going through them all I'd assume a larger proportion of the lower rate reviews will be one line profanity strewn reviews or simply not relevant enough.

As well as angry reviews you will get "selected next day but courier didn't deliver" I'm sorry, delivery issues aren't relevant to the product.

A lot of lower rated reviews will also comment on a single faulty unit - again, no, average failure rates are 2-3%, OcUK monitor these *very* closely as any failure is a huge hit to our bottom line - reviewing a product based on your own bad luck isn't fair as the reviews will never reflect the other 98% of customers who had no problem at all. If it was had a faulty unit, RMAd it, got replacement, was okay but not great - 3* - that's fine, you've reviewed the product, not the purchase.

Associate
Without going through them all I'd assume a larger proportion of the lower rate reviews will be one line profanity strewn reviews or simply not relevant enough.

As well as angry reviews you will get "selected next day but courier didn't deliver" I'm sorry, delivery issues aren't relevant to the product.

A lot of lower rated reviews will also comment on a single faulty unit - again, no, average failure rates are 2-3%, OcUK monitor these *very* closely as any failure is a huge hit to our bottom line - reviewing a product based on your own bad luck isn't fair as the reviews will never reflect the other 98% of customers who had no problem at all. If it was had a faulty unit, RMAd it, got replacement, was okay but not great - 3* - that's fine, you've reviewed the product, not the purchase.

I can fully agree with what your saying here it makes sense to be sure the product being reviewed is only the product.

Back
Top Bottom