• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Can I overclock my PowerColor 5850?

Soldato
As title suggests really - I know the Asus card has unlocked BIOS but not sure what I can do with the PowerColor one.

Any advice on how to get started with OC'ing it?

Thanks

Associate
If it's a PCS+ then no, cauz I've tried it. However I unlocked my own, run my xfire at 850/1150mhz. If you got the normal one then yes. They're reference design. ;)

Associate
If it's a PCS+ then no, cauz I've tried it. However I unlocked my own, run my xfire at 850/1150mhz. If you got the normal one then yes. They're reference design. ;)

I got my PCS+ today and have given it a slight overclock to 800/1100 and it's running fine - yet to try higher as it is running everything I play perfectly happily at the res I play at (1680x1050) so not feeling a need to try anything higher ATM as I'm enjoying the silence it's offering :)

As for the OP's question, just get yourself MSI Afterburner 1.5 and set yourself some profiles up, below I'll paste some instructions someone more knowledgable than myself put in another thread and I put to oneside while waiting for my card to arive (sorry forgot the name of the guy who posted them)

Simply run MSI and set it to start on windows startup...

Click Save at the bottom of the page and select 1.
This will save the Default settings for your card as Profile 1.

Now start Overclocking... when you have set a Core and Mem speed to test, click Apply, then Save, this time click 2, this will save your OC settings as profile 2.

Now open the MSI settings page and click the Profiles tab, you will see Automatic Profile Management...

Beside 2D Profile click the drop down box and select option 1.
Beside 3D Profile click the drop down box and select option 2.

Now save and close the settings page so your back to the standard MSI front, click profile 1 and Apply, your card is now at default settings with Powerplay, then minimise MSI, or move to a second screen if you have one, and run a game, if you have a second screen you should be able to use third party monitoring apps or use the MSI Afterburner built in monitor and you should see your clock ramp up... then exit the game and the defaults should re apply again.... job done!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom