BenQ G2420HDBL - power on off woes

Associate
A little while ago I bought the 24" LED BenQ (review and another long thread in this forum as well).

One thing I had noticed was how it never switched off since the day I first powered it up. Its "power on" light is either green, or amber when the PC switches off. I occasionally pressed the "on-off" button but nothing happened.

Last evening I got annoyed at how the monitor would refuse to switch off when I pressed the button so I held the button for 4-5 secs and voila! It finally switched off, no more amber light.

This morning I tried to switch it back on, and .. no fish!

To cut a long story short I spent 15 minutes changing power cables trying the switch on and off. It eventually powered up after 15 minutes. I have no idea what's going on.

The power on-off switch does not do what a reasonable person would expect. Plus it stubbornly switches off and does not come on again no matter what you do.

Do I have a duff one or are all behaving the same ?

Associate
I've had this monitor a couple of weeks and everything PC related routes back to a single mains source that I switch off via a 20amp switch. The problem is, even if the monitor is on when the PC shuts down, the monitor doesn't power up again when I switch the mains back on. I have to manually use the monitor switch every time. If I forget and boot the PC, then switch the monitor on, there's no signal unless I reboot the PC.

Associate
got two of these monitors and just tested your theory, switched both off, booted the machine then switched monitors on and they came back on and working fine. mmmmm

Associate
OP
DVI cable. But you really must switch it off. Which means press and hold the on-off switch for like an hour before it decides to switch off. Once it is off, then switch the PC on. Wait until it is in the Windows logon screen (you will have to guess how long that takes), as was my case, then try to switch it back on.

It could also be dependent on the VGA card, it could be it is using some feature of the DVI in a strange way.

Soldato
I am using said monitor . . . .

Cannot reproduce the sypmtoms on myine using DVI-DVI and a 5850.

As for turning off and on, press buttom, monitor turns off, to turn on you hold it for a second. I use a switching mains socket which turns off all peripherals when I shut the PC down, so it can be a couple of mins before I switch the monitor on.

Back
Top Bottom