HTC Hero, coming July on Orange and T-Mobile, makes me want!

Permabanned
Whats with all this HYPE over this update in April???

New features

Key features for Android 2.1 include the use of multiple email accounts on a device, Quick Contacts feature and Exchange support.

Things like the camera, messaging and virtual keyboard are also improved. As is the browser – now with support for HTML 5 – and Calendar.

multiple email accounts on a device?? We can do that already..

My Hero is already fine at the normal stock version which comes with the mobile and the Camera,Messaging and keyboard are fine anyway, i dont see how this update could bring anything better.

I dont understand why everyones going mental over it.. am i missing something

Izi

Izi

Soldato
Whats with all this HYPE over this update in April???

New features

Key features for Android 2.1 include the use of multiple email accounts on a device, Quick Contacts feature and Exchange support.

Things like the camera, messaging and virtual keyboard are also improved. As is the browser – now with support for HTML 5 – and Calendar.

multiple email accounts on a device?? We can do that already..

My Hero is already fine at the normal stock version which comes with the mobile and the Camera,Messaging and keyboard are fine anyway, i dont see how this update could bring anything better.

I dont understand why everyones going mental over it.. am i missing something

I am running 2.1 on my Hero...

everything is better - your argument is like why bother moving from XP to W7.

Not forgetting new features like Navigator...

Soldato
Have you had to use it? or have you tried it?

I'm actually so impressed by it, I included it in the Modaco custom ROM I've been using since I got the phone. Works flawlessly, and when included in the ROM, it's very difficult for anyone who's not familiar with the phone to get rid of.

It'll track the phones location by GPS, tracks which SIM cards have been used in the phone, tells you what calls have been made, lets you remotely lock the phone, and allows you to remotely wipe the phone in the worst case scenario.

Oh, and you can back up your messages, contacts, call history, to the WaveSecure servers, and you can restore them from the phone, which is handy when messing around with ROM's and the like.

Definately worth having a look at, and IIRC, they do a free offer at the moment so you can use it free for a year, but you've gotta register on their website and install the software by the end of the month.

EDIT: Register by the end of March and they give you a free lifetime subscription.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I am running 2.1 on my Hero...

everything is better - your argument is like why bother moving from XP to W7.

Not forgetting new features like Navigator...

what does the Navigator do which google maps already doesnt?

Im interested to see what else they have which they are not telling us

Associate
Good spot on Wavesecure there Atari! Exactly what I was after and being free helps heaps too! Backed up all my contacts and messages, though I guess the contacts are sync'd with Google too.

Soldato
Good spot on Wavesecure there Atari! Exactly what I was after and being free helps heaps too! Backed up all my contacts and messages, though I guess the contacts are sync'd with Google too.

Glad it helped you out. It's an awesome piece of software. If your contacts are Google'd, don't restore using WaveSecure too, it'll create duplicates (or so I found last time I did it).

Oh and if you're running a Modaco ROM, you can downloade an update.zip to make this part of the ROM so it's not easily uninstalled.

Soldato
What kind of Android app following is there, compared to say the iPhone? if the new iPhone is out in June / July, the one thing swinging it for me is the amount of apps I would make use of

Soldato
In preparation for the HTC Legend, can I ask what current Hero users have in terms of cases/protection if any? Just wondered if the case-makers catered for the chin at all!

I got one after seeing someone about 20 pages back recommending theirs. I'll dig out the name of it, but it's a great combination between rubber and plastic, sturdy and flexible enough not to make it too unobtrusive.

It's only a back cover, but the screen itself is pretty darn strong and hasn't picked up a single scratch since I've had the phone.

Soldato
What kind of Android app following is there, compared to say the iPhone? if the new iPhone is out in June / July, the one thing swinging it for me is the amount of apps I would make use of

The quality of the app's isn't comparable to the App Store on the iPhone at present. I've come from the iPhone to the Hero and I'm a little disappointed by the apps that are available. Don't get me wrong, there are some real gem's amongst the apps that are available, however the Market just seems like a step backwards from what the App Store is.

It's still early days I suppose, and in time, and with the influx of Android powered phones, the Market will get to a place where you can directly compare against the App Store, but that's still a little while away.

One thing I would say though is that the Market apps are a bit basic compared to the iPhone ones. Probably due to the App Store app's needing to be tested by Apple. Whilst I hate the closed platform that is the iPhone, stuff like having apps tested and approved make a massive difference.

Don't let that put you off too much though, things are improving, and the phones themselves are nicer than the iPhone. More capable in quite a few respects, and certainly more fun to customise.

Soldato
You have to remember the app store was going before the iphone came out so it was established place, android had to start something from scratch big difference, the way android phones are coming out now i would be worried if i was apple there dominance will go else.

Back
Top Bottom