Bromley and South East of London

Soldato
Swanley is a dump, avoid.

Yes. Pure commuter land and dumping ground for Sevenoaks Council's problems.

I've been trapped there for... er, far too long. So long I'm ashamed to admit it to myself. There are nice bits in the area, but they're not far away from a lot of bad bits. Which is why one of our local councilors is BNP.

On the plus side, Eynsford is only 40 mins walk away, and you can hear Brands Hatch from there. The area's nice once you get over the M25 and out into 'proper' Kent.

Andrew McP

Soldato
OP
I've narrowed it all down to Bromley, Beckenham, Shortlands - the commute from here will be bearable, plus I can use the time to do some studying.

Biggin Hill sound lovely, but not convinient transport wise.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Yeah, Biggin Hill is a bit isolated and you need a car if you live there, ideally.

If you're studying, the central library in Bromley has everything. It has everything from social science to engineering books. I use it and the Beckenham library a lot.

Associate
This thread follows on from a recent one where I mentioned I've asked to volunteer to work in our new and shiney data centre in Sittingbourne.

You do realise the Kent Science park is circa a 2mile walk from the station? In the summer it may be a nice walk, but come the winter..... :)

Soldato
OP
You do realise the Kent Science park is circa a 2mile walk from the station? In the summer it may be a nice walk, but come the winter..... :)

Yep - I will have to get the 343/328/348 to KSP from the station, also I've been told the cab fare will be paid for when this is not possible.

Soldato
I'm from Beckenham originally, just around the corner from Clock House station, brings back some memories hearing that!

Not lived there for nearly 20 years but it was a nice place to live back then.

Associate
Would second Beckenham, good few pubs, bars and restaurants there too. New Eltham or Sidcup are a good shout too, but lacking in the nightlife aspect. I'd say anywhere but St Marys Cray tbh, absolute hole.

Associate
Was there yesterday. My dad's a retired Inspector or something so I get membership. Great place but loads of old people ;)

- Pea0n

My dad's one of the duty managers there, next time you're up there look for a bald man in the managers photos on the wall. ;)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I forgot to mention, the only problem with Beckenham is the Croydon Tramlink, which I have misfortune of having to use to get home. It feeds a constant stream of Croydon scum into Beckenham. I believe Wimbledon has the same problem.

You can, however, remind them of their lower social disposition by stating loudly and clearly: "Why don't you learn some manners, you disgusting Croydon lowlife".

Soldato
I was very surprised by Bromley and Beckenham when I first went there. Not at all what I pictured, it's really nice.

Croydon.. well that nailed my mental image perfectly :p

Associate
Beckenham resident here, very nice place. High street getting slightly scummy to north end but still retains village feel - beckenham junction and clockhouse stations easy into London. Good pubs, two great Kebab places, lots restaurants including the great curry cottage curry house :). Nice parks around, Croydon road recreation ground gets a bit ***** (but don't they all now?), and Kelsey Park is great.
Shortlands always seemed a bit quieter and higher end with some amazing houses many of which are probably flats. Oh not a bad golf course at Beckenham Palace. All round its a comfortable and easy place to live in :)

Back
Top Bottom