• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Nvidia GTX480 & 470 reviews & discussion***

Soldato
Nvidia cam crying with pain. ATi/AMD camp crying with joy!
I don't think i'll be buying a fermi chip.
Thou it does show how far ATi have come from the appaling 2000's series especally with the 4000 and 5000. Nvidia need a miricle!

Associate
17b70e9ae217.jpg

Associate
So, in the Anandtech review benching on Mass Effect 2, the very next game that I will be playing, both the 480GTX and 5870 are beaten by the 4870X2 (which I bought recently for £130).

Sits back and feels good..... :D

Soldato
So, in the Anandtech review benching on Mass Effect 2, the very next game that I will be playing, both the 480GTX and 5870 are beaten by the 4870X2 (which I bought recently for £130).

Sits back and feels good..... :D

It really wouldn't be all that difficult for the 4870x2 to beat either card, would it. After all it is a dual gpu card ;)

I'm glad i got my 5970 just before Christmas and didn't hang around for this poor excuse for a card.

As Nvidia are always reminding us, most of thier cards go into OEM builds.
As most OEM's build with badly vented cases and very questionable PSU's, i don't see many of them rushing to put this power hungry central heating system into many of thier rigs.

When the financial loss from all of this pans out, i can see the big institutional investers in Nvidia demanding the heads of the entire top managment team from Nvidia.

I know that some peeps will say "Nvidia is too big for it to happen".
Well, all i'm going to say is remember Enron. Peeps said the same thing there as well, and we all know what happened.

Soldato
This is very dishertening. I was hoping for the 470 to put in a better performance on price if nothing else (Couldn't really care about the power or heat), because it's one of the few cards that will work with the CUDA accelerated elements of Adobe's CS5.

Still, it's peanuts compared to what I spend on camera gear, monitors, printing, or shoots in general, so hey ho!

Soldato
gonna preorder the gtx480 im sure its gonna drop down to the 400 quid mark very soon, all in though not bad pricing considering your getting the fastest single gpu solution on the planet. i think the 8800gtx cost more than fermi when it was released.

Soldato
gonna preorder the gtx480 im sure its gonna drop down to the 400 quid mark very soon, all in though not bad pricing considering your getting the fastest single gpu solution on the planet. i think the 8800gtx cost more than fermi when it was released.

Yeah we believe you ;) please come back with some pics of your new toy..

Caporegime
lol at all the people who are buying these fermi cards. The pricing is awful considering they don't perfrom much better than ATIs card and in some games there not even better than the 5870.

But it's not just the performance to price ratio, it's the temperatures that the 480 reaches at load (around 94 degrees), that is going to heat your entire case up by a lot, so reduces the lifetime of your other components probably unless you have got a very good cooling solution, oh and btw good luck trying to overclock them as well. Personally I don't want a fire hazard in my house, thank you very much :p.

Plus the power consumption is a lot as well even when compared to 5870 crossfire it is still using far more power lol.

Also the noise of the fans on fermi cards, all I can say is that it sounds like a plane taking is taking off :p

So basically if you don't have the necessary requirements for these fermi cards, you will then be out around £210 on a decent power supply, case and some good fans. So pretty much who ever buy these have more money than sense, nvidia fan boys and people who want to increase there bragging rights :p

Last edited:
Associate
What a fail by Nvidia!

The 5970 is around the same price and beats it hands down in performance. 6 months later and there still not even compettitve with ATI!

Good news for AMD though, after the Intel **** going down!

Soldato
I do actually hope a few clueless go ahead and buy these cards. Nvidia needs to do well this generation otherwise ATI can just keeping hiking prices. Anyway, it's guaranteed to be a sell out the first month.

Caporegime
I do actually hope a few clueless go ahead and buy these cards. Nvidia needs to do well this generation otherwise ATI can just keeping hiking prices. Anyway, it's guaranteed to be a sell out the first month.

Don't worry all the nvidia fan boys will be getting it straight away I am sure :p

Back
Top Bottom