Poll: Do you support the BA Cabin Crew 12 day strike at Christmas?

Do you support the BA Cabin Crew 12 day strike?

• Yes

Votes: 94 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 656 87.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
And they get pretty well compensated for what they do. I wonder if they could earn £30k+ a year elsewhere?

Ok then put the reverse on it, everyone moaning that they don't earn as much and the job is easy should apply and give it a go.

If they are so much smarter and could ace the job, go earn yourself an easy 30k at BA or £25-27k at somewhere like easyjet.

It wouldn't suit me because I hate people, people irritate me and dealing with them would end in a mess, but I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that are great with dealing with the general public and would like an easy 30k?

Soldato
These people should be glad of a job ! they get paid more than those in other airlines.

its obvious BA aren't going to back down from what ive read they cannot afford to meet the demands of employees.

I just see the people who are doing this are just going to harm there own career prospects with BA especially as some are still going to work and some aren't. Sack them and see how they like it with no job and no income.

Soldato
It wouldn't be if it were a 9-5 job, but as ever figures are meaningless without analysis. I believe that they only get paid for when they are working on the plane - on average for something like 750 hours a year, which ties in with the basic annual pay of £12k pa. My contracted hours in a normal office job are 1725 a year, though of course it's easy for me to work a lot more than that, and I usually do. I hope it's obvious why it's difficult and not advantageous for cabin crew to do more hours than what they typically do.

So they only get paid when they are actually working?

weird that isn't it

Is this for the cabin crew?
If so then that is very bad pay indeed. Should be more like £25 an hour.

What work do they do that deserves £25 ph ?

Soldato
For what they do and what they have to put up with yes
Just look at what a Cisco VIOP admin or a CNC programer\setter gets. And a janitor in FL is on $16 an hour.

I'd expect a janitor to be on much more than cabin crew. No idea what the other two jobs you posted are about but they certainly sound more skilled. Most qualified tradesmen with years of experience wont earn what you think cabin crew should.

If it wasn't for the stigma attatched to male cabin crew I would certainly consider it.

Soldato
What work do they do that deserves £25 ph ?

Oh lets see hmmmmm risk their lives every day and(no I will stop there)
And before you come back with other people like the forces\police ect do as well(which they do)

The aircrew can't run away from danger or hide like forces\police can. At 35,000 feet and something goes wrong your dead.

And as I have said a janitor in FL is on $16 an hour rising to $25 an hour when you are put in charge of the cleaning crew.

Soldato
I'd expect a janitor to be on much more than cabin crew. No idea what the other two jobs you posted are about but they certainly sound more skilled. Most qualified tradesmen with years of experience wont earn what you think cabin crew should.

If it wasn't for the stigma attatched to male cabin crew I would certainly consider it.

Hold on...you do know that a janitor is a person that cleans bathrooms don't you?
In the UK a cleaner only gets minimum wage for doing it.

Soldato
And before you come back with other people like the forces\police ect do as well(which they do)

The aircrew can't run away from danger or hide like forces\police can. At 35,000 feet and something goes wrong your dead.
ROTFLMAO. Almost literally.

You bring me the statistics of aircrew deaths vs. "running away and hiding" forces/police. Go.

Soldato
Hold on...you do know that a janitor is a person that cleans bathrooms don't you?
In the UK a cleaner only gets minimum wage for doing it.

Actually cleaners often get more than minimum wage and a cleaner is not a janitor.

A janitor/caretaker has a lot more responsibilities than a cleaner. They often provide a lot of maintenance, both building and grounds, have good knowledge of plumbing, be in charge of certain aspects of security, buy supples etc etc the list goes on and on really.

Soldato
Actually cleaners often get more than minimum wage and a cleaner is not a janitor.

A janitor/caretaker has a lot more responsibilities than a cleaner. They often provide a lot of maintenance, both building and grounds, have good knowledge of plumbing, be in charge of certain aspects of security, buy supples etc etc the list goes on and on really.

Well the person in charge of the crew in the morning shift does order supples as you said
the othere people either cut the grass or clean the class rooms and bathrooms

Building maintenance is done by the maintenance division of the which ever county they are in.
Well that's how it is done in my county in FL ;)

Back to topic...

Soldato

And as I have said a janitor in FL is on $16 an hour rising to $25 an hour when you are put in charge of the cleaning crew.

Sorry but that isn't a good enough reason imo, the risk of being involved in a major accident on an aircraft is very small

Don
Sorry but that isn't a good enough reason imo, the risk of being involved in a major accident on an aircraft is very small
Indeed, if risk of death or serious injury was a major factor in pay rates, labourers on building sites would be paid a fortune.

£25/hour is into degree educated professional territory.

Soldato

When we drive to work we all risk our lives, and statistically you are more likely to die in a car accident and die in a plane crash, so cut out the BS. If its such a dangerous job then perhaps the airline should pay me to go on their planes when I go on holiday.

Soldato
Working on a plane I said. On long haul especially they end up spending a lot of unpaid time away from home, which if you've ever actually done it you'll know is not fun.

Lots of people spend time away from home unpaid, why should BA staff be an exception?

Caporegime
It can't be that big a deal because every shorthaul hostie I've ever spoken to aspires to longhaul lifestyle and getting 3 days stop over for example in Cancun :D

Well that and getting pregnant by a captain.

Back
Top Bottom