LG Flatron M227WD - 1080p TV/Monitor mini review

Associate
I wouldn't recommend this soley for PC gaming. Although its up there with the best, you're better off saving some money or investing the extra money into an actual monitor. This is a TV Monitor, as much a 1080p TV as it is a PC monitor ;)

Ahhhh okay, thanks for the response, I'll have to have a think about this one for another room maybe, seems like too good a deal to pass up on :cool:

Soldato
Just picked one of these up yesterday after the samung 23" screens were out of stock. I've only used it as a tv so far but will be able to test it fully over the weekend.

Initial thoughts are that its an absolute snip for £199.99.

Associate
Ok my M227WD developed an issue yesterday.

The output on the DVI was always very washed out, and a factory reset didn't clear it.

Took it back to where I bought it (indian food sounding high street retailer).

no quibble exchange.

When I got home I found that there have been major changes made to this model!

I now have an M227WDP!

These version only has one HDMI no Av3 (s-Vhs and composite as seen in post one of this thread)

The USB port can now be used for showing photos and playing Mp3s.

The sound menu now has more options and over all the sound is greatly imporved, there aare now seperate bass and treble settings and "clear Voice 2"

The picture menu now has changed settings with an Expert1 and expert2 options (both seem to be exactly the same settings)

The Cinema setting how sets the back light to 50 where as on the old model it was on 20.

Upon setting the monitor up it now scans all tv channels in a single scan, and unlike the old version this one does find all the freeview channels (the old one would only find them manually)

not sure if like the reduced connectivity over the improved sound, will see how it goes or if I return it to shop around for the older version.

the Firmware is V3.02.0.

Last edited:
Associate
well i have tried connecting a PC to the HDMI and it looks way better than the old version but still not as good as DVI.

I have a sneeking feeling that the new version is going to be Freeview HD ready.

I say this as it now lists each freeview channel with a SD and shows the resolution it is being displayed in (576i).

Time will tell on that of course.

The sound quality is 1000% better not tinny it has a depth to it.

Associate
As per my last post, this is the section of the manual that makes me suspect the M227WDP supports freeview HD

hdtv.jpg

Associate
Hi, 1st post but been reading for a few weeks now.

Any more news on the M227WDP? I was very close to getting one but it seems the new model (with a 'P' at the end of the name) only has 1 HDMI. It will be used for everything, PS3, computer, Wii, PS2, TV etc.

So several issues going round my mind:

1.The M237WD is available in a few places, bigger screen and it seems it does have 2 HDMIs, is the screen really that much bigger?

2. trying to future proof this purchase hence the need for 2 x HDMI, is the Freeview HD issue important? (it seems difficult to tell from official sources)

3. In a local shop I have seen what appears to be a M227WD with 2 HDMI ports, for £170, the M237WD is about £240 online (neither on OcUk :(
inc. delivery, that is quite a big difference, any thoughts?

Last edited:
Associate
Having had both models of the 22" The P version has better sound, a useable usb port.

The older model has better connectivety. (2 Hdmi SVHS socket and the older Red white yellow RCAs)

personally I prefer the P model but I don't have anything, at this time, that is HDMI connected.

As for future proof, remember that what ever you buy is likely to be out of date the week after....

Oh and a lot of on line dealers are also listing the P model but with 2 HDMI sockets, so I would advise checking by phone before you place an order!

Associate
teddy4, thanks for the reply, I remember you did say the sound was better.

would you have any opinions about the 23" version (M237WD), is the extra 1.5" really worth it? It seems to have the better connectivity of the older (none 'P' model) 22" monitor but for £70 extra!

I am thinking of getting basic speakers to add to this screen anyway, like the Logitech S200s

Associate
Well I cannot say directly about the size advantage.. but I have a Dell 23" monitor and the size difference between the two doesnt seem much (it's actually 4cm actual difference in a diagonal measurement)

an HDMI switch box would be an alternative...

THe M227's don't work well with a PC connected via the HDMI although the DVI works 100% perfectly. It may be worth checking if the 23" does work with a PC via HDMI

Associate
I'm currently using this is a kitchen TV. Unfortunately the sound is just woeful and low.

Do the scart connectors by any chance output sound as well so i can plug it into a mini hifi?
I don't have any device with optical, and they're too big anyway for the kitchen and i'd rather not have a cable sticking out the side from the headphone connector.

Associate
Cool.
I read some posts asking if you can remove the neck of the stand when wall mounting. and yes you can.
You unscrew the bottom red plastic panel (6 screws) and unclip it (tricky to do, i broke a couple clips), and then you see the neck connected with 4 screws, you just have to remove those, and thats it. easy.

Associate
Just a little update....

I have just managed to get into the service menu of my M227WDP.

I have managed to change the USB port option from Mp3s and Pictures to MP3s Pictures and DIVX :D

Tried with a Divx on a USB key plays flawlessly :D

Associate
Cool.
I read some posts asking if you can remove the neck of the stand when wall mounting. and yes you can.
You unscrew the bottom red plastic panel (6 screws) and unclip it (tricky to do, i broke a couple clips), and then you see the neck connected with 4 screws, you just have to remove those, and thats it. easy.
cheers for posting that fella, used to hate that part of the tv and have now finally got rid! :)

Associate
teddy how do you change the settings in the service screen to play those files? is it hard?

Is the screen as good as something like a LG W2361V to use as a monitor? As I need one but I don't want to sacrifice the quality for web design and graphics just for freeview and speakers.

Back
Top Bottom