Help with my Mondeo :(

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I have a small niggling issue with my car - it's a 2004 1.8 Mondeo. The issue is quite weird, so sorry if I don't explain it well.

The scenario is thus. I'm cruising along at any speed, and slow down by braking or taking my foot off the accelerator. I've slowed down to my desired speed, and so put my foot back on the accelerator to carry on. Now, as soon as I press the accelerator, there is a slight jerk/clunk as I press the peddle. The best way to describe the jerk is as if something has engaged roughly, very similar to bringing the clutch up unsmoothly.

I don't know if it's related or not, but I'm finding it very hard to drive the car smoothly. When changing gears and bringing the clutch up slowly, there is still a jerk.

Any help would be great.

Associate
Is the clutch near the end of its life? I think sometimes they get a little fierce when they are near to the end of their life.

Associate
As above and also could be an exhaust mount. I had a similar thing going on with my golf and it turned out to be a cracked exhaust mount which was a 5min welding job to sort.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I don't know enough about engines, does anyone know what occurs within the engine when you brake/take your foot off the accelerator? I can also feel a jerk after a few seconds of deacceleration. It's almost as if something is de-engaging unsmoothly and re-engaging unsmoothly every time I slow then press the accelerator peddle.

Caporegime
I don't know enough about engines, does anyone know what occurs within the engine when you brake/take your foot off the accelerator? I can also feel a jerk after a few seconds of deacceleration. It's almost as if something is de-engaging unsmoothly and re-engaging unsmoothly every time I slow then press the accelerator peddle.

When you release the throttle, the engine stops being under load, and will shift on its mounts to rest back into a natural position.

When you press the throttle again, the movement of the internals, as well as pressure exterted through the gearbox, will cause the engine to rotate slightly on a pivot around the crankshaft. The engine mounts are supposed to be cushioned (by means of rubber stops usually), but if one is failing, the resultant forces could generate a bump or bang. The same could also be said for a loose mount.

Soldato
id guess engine mount

does a duel mass flywheel ever give symptoms like this?

Nope, its pretty rare for the petrols (especially the small ones) to throw a DMF too due to the lower torque. DMF is a rattling, or squealing clutch, or difficulty starting.

FWIW, my old Mondeo used to do something similar - you couldnt feel it but could hear it with the window open, a noticeable drivetrain clunk. That was before and after DMF replacement, not sure what it was but never thought of it as a problem

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I'm not so bothered about noise, but the jolt every time I come off and back onto the throttle is very annoying, especially when crawling along in traffic.

Mon

Mon

Associate
Just had this start happening on mine Mk3 Mondeo, assumed it to be the engine mounts although not looked into it.

Anyone know how easy they are to replace?

Mon

Mon

Associate
msm, Will update you when I know more although didn't get time this weekend had other stuff to sort first.

May look this weekend but I'm fairly busy atm so not sure when I will get time, let me know also if you find out whats up.

Back
Top Bottom