Skip sinks our drive - what do you think?

Associate
I would actually go as far as to say that you would have been liable if the lorry had tipped over for example.
Really:confused:

The driver is the professional, as such it his responsibility to decide where he can and cannot do. If he had concerns it would have been up to him to state them prior to dropping the skip.

Soldato

The driver is the professional, as such it his responsibility to decide where he can and cannot do. If he had concerns it would have been up to him to state them prior to dropping the skip.

So the driver should have dug the drive up to check it was solid enough first? Or possibly used his X-Ray Vision to survey the ground underneath?

Soldato
If it is paved how many flags are we talking, or is the small brick style paving?
If it is a full foot of depth, it is unlikely to have been weak when first palced if it has been there 7 years and there has been activity over the yop.
Likely subsidence, or cavity formation.

Is there much of an area affected, if not, lift a couple of flags , fire in some hard core, and replace. Leave it to settle for a month of driving over, relift, tidy up and you're done.

Associate
Never driven skip lorries but have spent years driving lorries delivering bricks etc. First thing is this. If you think the hole is big when he dropped it of just wait till it grows when he picks up the skip when it is fully loaded with 9 tonnes of brick etc.

Secondly all the companies I ever drove for told me never to drive on a customers driveway until the customer had signed a disclaimer to cover any damage. Now I admit I didn't always do this but generally if a tarmac drive looks old and weathered and hasn't got two great depressions in it from the car going backwards and forwards I would probably drive on it. However unless the block paving was laid in area used as a road (ie like it is to fancy up the street on newer housing developments) I would never drive on it. There is a massive difference between a 2 tonne car and 18 tonnes of truck. In addition to this the loads exerted on the vehicle stabilisers (the legs at the back of the skip wagon that stop it tipping over backwards) are enormous.

Block paving is never laid thick enough for trucks to use on a driveway ever.

Indecently the skip driver is culpable as he entered your property and caused damage. Unless you or your appointed on site representative signed a disclaimer acknowledging that damage may occur it is his fault. Would you be even thinking about this if he had crushed the main water main for your street and water was gushing 20 feet in the air.

That said I can almost promise that such an agreement will appear between builder and skip company if that builder ever wants another skip placing within 200 yards of a job lol.

Associate
As I understand it the skip was not arranged by yourself but by another contractor doing work for you? Did anyone tell him where to drop the skip? if so who?

If it was all done by the contractor doing work for you then they are responsible...... if no instruction was given to the skip company about where it was to be dropped then they are responsible...... if however you or your wife told them where to drop the skip then your responsible.

Soldato
As I understand it the skip was not arranged by yourself but by another contractor doing work for you? Did anyone tell him where to drop the skip? if so who?

If it was all done by the contractor doing work for you then they are responsible...... if no instruction was given to the skip company about where it was to be dropped then they are responsible...... if however you or your wife told them where to drop the skip then your responsible.

That's what I was thinking, also isn't it normal for skips to be on the street and simply coned off? Fairly sure they need to get a permit for the council for this which probably costs money, your driveway didn't.

I'd be expecting the contractors to offer to sort it or speaking to a solicitor to see if there's anything that can be done before I simply gave up on it if you or her weren't responsible for telling them where to put the skip or granting permission for it to be put on the drive.

Soldato
On a side note Skip Lorry drivers are the Maddest ******** on the road, Fact. :D
Pick the most impossible place to put your skip just to test the driver & still they won't bat an eyelid & just drive through or over things Dump the skip get you to sign then roar off. :p I like'em.

my contractors ordered a skip without telling me the @@@@@@ came at 6:15am asking me to move my car he also wanted my neighbours to move all their cars as well i told him to come back at a reasonable time now i arrange all that myself when i have work done...

however unless you told the contractors not to put the skip there i doubt if you could expect them to know then again a car is just over a tonne whereas a lorry with skip is 15X that amount so unless they did your drive with reinforced concrete you can't blame them either :p

Don

As the land owner Huddy would be viewed as having a duty of care for those on his property - it would be entirely reasonble for the driver to assume the driveway was safe to use.

Back
Top Bottom