DELETED_74993

Soldato
I really enjoyed Gemmel, Pullman and Brooks when I was younger. I finished LOTR and couldn't get enough fantasy.

Now though, I think the only one I'd consider picking up again is LOTR.

As mentioned above, most of this genre is aimed at teenagers and I've gone off heroic fantasy in general now.

Having said that, I do enjoy a Discworld novel in between more 'high brow' reads.

Man of Honour
As mentioned above, most of this genre is aimed at teenagers and I've gone off heroic fantasy in general now.

There are a few writers who have moved beyond this, and into revisionist territory. Try Joe Abercrombie, Elizabeth Moon, Barbara Hambly, C J Cherryh, Katherine Kerr, Guy Gavriel Kay and Mike Scott Rohan as the obvious ones. The books of Gene Wolfe are very highly regarded by other writers (correctly): some are fantasy, some are SF disguised as fantasy, but all are serious literature. Try The Wizard and the The Knight (often sold as "The Wizard Knight" in one volume).

M

Soldato
This is incorrect, the last book (Memory of Light book 12) has been written and is being released in three parts, first part out in november.

Just finished reading this - absolutely brilliant, and he has done a very good job of compiling all Jordans notes together. Its more like the first couple of books, everything is happening at a rapid pace and real edge of the seat stuff..

Soldato
Agree about The Gathering Storm. I've been reading the Wheel of Time since the early 90s and it's great to have the series back on track with some stuff actually happening again. Who knows? The main characters might try talking to each other soon!

Based on Brandon Sanderson's work on that book, I read his Mistborn trilogy and can thoroughly recommend it. Very different. It's about what might happen if the Dark One won.

Soldato
Seen this thread and had loads of suggestions then get here to find they have already been made. All of the previous suggestions will give you a great read.

Raymond E Fiest - From the Riftwar saga through to the Serpent war is a great series.

George R R Martin - More adult themed and can be positivley brutal at times

Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time just for the sheer epic scope of the series. Although as mentioned the series now will not be finished. RIP

Robin Hobb - Farseer Trilogy excellent storytelling and characters

above the ones already suggested i can recommend The Belgariad series by David Eddings. Great immersive series. Not 'action' packed, just a great slow burning story.

Also for more action orientied books the David Gemmell books are good. While more by the numbers they do make a good read.

I've read most of those suggested here and can definitely recommend them all. the Song of Ice and Fire books being my personal favourite of the lot, I would recommend them to anyone who enjoys fantasy novels. Best books I ever read :)

Associate
Stephen King's Dark Tower - especially because it's not just the 7 books in the series, it branches out through probably a good 60% of his other books in some way or another.

Garth Nix's Old Kingdom books are excellent reads.

Also Clive Barker's Abarat - the first 2 books were fantastic, but it looked like Barker had given up. Luckily it appears book 3 should be with us next year and books 4 and 5 not too long after that. I'd suggest trying to get the hardbacks though, Barker's paintings are exceptional.

Soldato
Of all the fantasy series I have read the books I always end up going back to are:

The Wheel of Time by Robert jordan. Yes the earlier books are better but I never lost faith with Jordan and enjoyed everyone of his books. Sanderson did a reasonable job with the latest book but it didn't have Jordans polish in my opnion.

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. It's been a massive wait but the next book should be out later this year and I'm sure it will be as good as the rest. Brilliant books.

A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. Another series with massive scope and lots of nice ideas. Can be very confusing though but ultimately rewarding. Ian C. Esslemont's related books are also quite good.

Sword of Shadows by J.V. Jones. Her earlier series the Book of Words was quite good as well but she has improved for this more recent series. She has a new book out in the next week or so which I'm looking forward to.

I often just pick any of these books up and read a random chapter and always get drawn in.

Soldato
A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. Another series with massive scope and lots of nice ideas. Can be very confusing though but ultimately rewarding. Ian C. Esslemont's related books are also quite good.

I think this may be the next thing I read, seen some good recommendations on this series in this thread!

Soldato
After much forgetting, and one almost ordering, I have finally got round to ordering A Game of Thrones (SoF&I Book 1), I've been meaning to read this series for at least a few years now but don't read as much as I used to and kept forgetting.

Also I saw a few people had ordered Desert Spear by Brett. What's it like, worth reading after the first book?

After the game and hearing they were being translated from Polish, I keep thinking I must try and get hold of some of the Geralt/Witcher novels too, anyone read any of those?

Last edited:
Soldato
The deset spear is good, doesnt stay as focused on Arlen but on the guy who was the leader when arlen found the spear, so give more back story for him, but still continues at a decent pace.

Soldato
Ok thanks for the update :)

Ordered 'The Last Wish' (Witcher short story collection as apparently its best to read these before the novels being translated) and GoTs last night, will order DS later on so I dont forget :)
I really didn't get on that well with WoT Book 1 so I'm looking forward to finally getting my teeth sunk into BoS&I, especially as I haven't really read any books of note since Painted Man back in December.
One of the reasons I like threads like these, sometimes you see stuff and it tweaks your interest.

Might take a look into this Malazan series too re-reading the thread, a 9 book series with a 10th due in the near future would give me plenty to read whilst I wait for other stuff to appear :)
I'll probably look at Trudi Caravan's next series too when its nearing completion, the Black Magician series was ok, but a few bits and pieces I've read suggest her newer books are getting quite a bit better.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bumping this as I just finished the 4th book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series, A Feast for Crows.

It wasn't the best of the books, but when you take into account that the partner book is still be written it kinda makes up for it.

For those who dont know, George R R Martin wrote a huge book, but it was too big so he split it in two. Instead of doing it the conventional way (publishing the first half first and the second half well, second) he split it in half geographically. Both books are set at the same time and the events in both happen simultaneously but A Feast for Crows concentrates on the characters in the lower half of the continent, whilst A Dance with Dragons will (one day, maybe) feature the upper half. Obviously there are cross overs.. but it's made it more exciting. You keep seeing references to characters from the North having done something but you have to wait until the next book to read about it!

In any case, my official review:
A Song of Ice and Fire

An epic series, difficult at first but once you have a grip on the vast quantity of characters and their huge, filled and thorough characters and personalities it's a hugely compelling story.

Not for the faint hearted; Characters you like will die. Characters you hate will endure. The combat is downright brutal, vividly gruesome but hugely exciting. Rape, Pillage, Murder, Scheming, Skullduggery, Unimagined Alliances and Surprising Backstabbing.

Martin has truly mastered the ability to make you hate a written character, or love one. An absolute must read for people who love immersive worlds, huge characters and a lot of twists and turns.

Next up (if i can get them here), either the Malazan Book of the Fallen, or The Wheel of Time. Unsure.

Caporegime
I've just started reading the first Song of Ice and Fire book and I'm absolutely loving it, but I don't know whether to keep reading it now :( I hate reading a series that is unfinished (especially as there seems to be some doubt as to whether this will ever be finished, I hear the latest books been delayed multiple times?)

Back
Top Bottom