• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4870x2 High temps under load?

Associate
OK, so I'll try to explain my situation.. I've RMA'd this card before 4870x2 for overheating. When I'm playing left 4 dead temps reach 100-111C with gpu fan at a 100%! using MSI afterburner. The card is not overclocked, so my question is is this too high? And is the flashing black lines and jitter caused by this high temp? I've been through this before and I just need this fixed once and for all, I've put up with incredibly loud fan noise and overheating issues long enough and it's making me pretty frustrated. I would have no problem with the 100% fan and everything aslong as the game actually runs fine. It's been about 8 months with this new card and the flashing black lines and jittering has just appeared now. So far it's only happening in L4D but I'm sure it has something to do with the temps. So please give me your input on what I should/can do?

Soldato
I think you should send your card back again. I had a 4870x2 and it would idle at 38 with the fan 45 ithink and load was around 55-60

Caporegime
Way, way too high temps. If you do strip it down then you will invalidate the warranty. However, I recently cleaned mine and the drop in temps was very surprising. Regardless, I would say yours is exceptionally high, so perhaps another RMA is worth considering.

Soldato
Side off means lots of dust. Take card out and clean dust out without taking apart. If that doesnt sort it, RMA time. Those temps are unexceptable.

What make is the card?

Also, try adjusting the pci express to something non standard, say 101mhz. Has helped solve issue with an ati card many moons ago.

Last edited:
Associate
I had a lot of problems with my 4870x2 hitting 100% fan speeds and having high temps in the end i took the card to bits repplied the termal paste to the Gpus cleaned the card itself with compressed air reseated the fan and now games are not going over 40% fan speed under full load - 75-80C. Bare in mind i was hitting 100 before.

Associate
As said before the most likely cause is dust buildup.

Take it out and give it a good blast out with air to clear it away. These cards run hot but not that bad. 45% fan speed and maxing just over 70ºC on mine....

Associate
I would pull the card out and really blast it with a new can of compressed air i picked all the fluff off the fan using my twizers then blasted compressed air thru the cooler one thing to note on that cooler is the fan blades need to be really dust clog free or they spin up a lot and run fast since there not actually moving any air.. Since the blades are so close together.. also make sure no hot air is being vented into the case.

Back
Top Bottom