• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8800 GTX Died - 5770 a decent replacement?

Associate
OP
I'm sure I'm going to be happy enough with this 5770. I was content with my 8800GTX before it died, so anything equal to, or better than that is a bonus.

Soldato
Decided to ignore all the overvolting etc and got my Vapour-x sapphire 5770 and it is fantastic.

I'm cpu limited atm, but the card is completely silent, well worth it over the stock V1 cooler with the tiny fan.

That's nice to hear. Or not, as the case may be. :D

I've got a Vapour X coming on Wednesday. It's a sidegrade from a 4850, but less noise, less heat, smaller size, 512MB more ram and some spare cash tempted me. Should be good.

Soldato
Hi all, it's been a while since I have been on here. I built my own rig a few years back, and it was money well spent at the time. It's starting to show its age now though, so I'll be upgrading later this year.

I do however need a replacement for my 8800GTX which has just failed me (have "borrowed" my brothers card for now).

I was thinking of going either for a 4890 or 5770 as I have around £150 to spend (including postage).

DX11 isn't that important to me, and I believe the 4890 is the slightly faster card, although the 5770 is gaining ground with better drivers? Also I want to order from here really, and I can't seem to find the 4890.

So is a 5770 a good choice?

I'm looking at either the XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 "AVP Edition" or the XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 XXX Edition

Will it be worth going for the overclocked version, or the stock version and overclocking it myself?

Appreciate any help on this.

It's a good card but don't let the buying decision sway you just because it comes with AvP which is poor game. If you really want to get a card with a game get Dirt 2 edition card.

Associate
OP

It's a good card but don't let the buying decision sway you just because it comes with AvP which is poor game. If you really want to get a card with a game get Dirt 2 edition card.

Yeah, I was looking at just the card tbh. I didn't even think about any included games.

Soldato
Yeah, I was looking at just the card tbh. I didn't even think about any included games.

Personally I bought the Asus HD5770 non fancy edition lol simply because it came with a 3 year warranty. I've always found that video cards are the first component to go wrong in a PC so if I was going to spend £120+ I wanted to make sure that if it went wrong somewhere down the line I could get it replaced for free.

Associate
I think the 5770 is an amazing card, get one with a 3 year warranty!

I have compared my GTX260 with a 5770 1GB from a mate, and overclocked, the gtx260 comes slightly ahead but once you turn on antialiasing on then the 5770 seems to cope better.

Couple that with the fact it runs cooler and uses less power, its a cracking deal I believe. Unless you can find the 4890 for the same ish price then definately go for the 5770!"

Associate
will an overclocked 5770 PWN the 5850?

No mate, its quite impossible in fact barring some seriously hardcore sub-zero cooling and a -very- tolerant sample, there's simply not enough physical parts on it by comparison to the 58** range to compete on fair grounds. However, that being said when it comes to unsophisticated in-game performance alone, between the two its not likely to make the difference between playable/unplayable.

As for upgrading to the 5770, bought a CuCore a few weeks back myself and I'm well pleased to be honest. Well priced, runs cool, clocks well and handles the latest games admirably. At first thought of it as a stop-gap until a more serious upgrade come october, but given its proven scalability in crossfire and pleasantly surprising performance I'm starting to consider getting a second one later and making do for this gen at least. Little beasts these cards, well worth the investment, best bang-for-buck this round it seems.

- Ordokai

Associate
OP
5770 CuCore arrived today. Great card, massive improvement over my 8800GTX. I was expecting my CPU to bottleneck it a bit in the games I play, but no, it all seems fine. Have tried Just Cause 2 and BFBC2 @ 1900 x 1200 with high settings and it runs great which surprised me a lot. BC2 was on low settings, low res, Dx9 with the 8800.

Haven't overclocked it yet, want to burn it in a bit first, make sure everything is ok.

I'll never pay stupid amounts for a GFX card again, as long as cheap, efficient and powerful cards like this are around.

Associate
OP
I've got a 22" screen 1680x1050, if I turned the eye candy on for BF2BC and MW2 etc...would a 5770 card hack it at that res or would I go for a 5850?

Well I've got a 24inch monitor and I'm running it at 1920 x 1200 with everything on high apart from AA etc. It looks stunning. I've only briefly tested it on a 32 player games but it held up. Looking through the sniper scope turned out to be a tad laggy (still playable), but turning off HSAO seemed to speed it up a bit. Either way, even if I knock a few settings down, it still looks great.

It should easily handle MW2.

My advice after getting mine today is to go with the 5770 and save yourself some money. You can always get another one and crossfire them if needed. I can't atm as I need a new motherboard. I'm not sure if it's worth upgrading from a GTX 260 though?

This is a great card and I haven't even tried overclocking it yet. I certainly have no regrets.

Associate
And basing your decisions on test results with driver 7 months out of date is logical?

Yes, because that is when all the reviews were made - when it was released. Besides, drivers don't work miracles; the 4870 is just a faster card.

Power consumption and heat output do not amount to a reason to buy the 5770. For the same price as as the 5770 the OP intended to buy you can get a 4890, which destroys the 5770.

Soldato
I've got a 22" screen 1680x1050, if I turned the eye candy on for BF2BC and MW2 etc...would a 5770 card hack it at that res or would I go for a 5850?

I'm running a 22" at that res with the Asus 5770. It runs BFBC2 and MW2 just fine on high settings at that res. My chip is a Q6600 @3.0Ghz too so not too dissimilar to yours. I notice some slowdowns when there is a heck of a lot of smoke around in BFBC2 but I'm still on Cat 10.2 so don't know if that has improved by Cat 10.4 or not (I tend to update drivers periodically rather than every month). That said even the slowdowns don't make the game unplayable.

It's a great card for the price.

Soldato
Yes, because that is when all the reviews were made - when it was released. Besides, drivers don't work miracles; the 4870 is just a faster card.

Power consumption and heat output do not amount to a reason to buy the 5770. For the same price as as the 5770 the OP intended to buy you can get a 4890, which destroys the 5770.

Actually that's not true with respect to drivers. A new card will always improve in speed to some extent as driver developers learn how to take advantage of the new hardware capabilities in the new card.

A 4xxx generation card is already mature and hence would see no or minimal increase compared to the 5xxx generation with the latest driver releases.

That's not to say that the 5770 will outpace a 4870. It probably won't. But within comparative reviews you have to take into account that the latest generation will always improve from the starting points laid out in those reviews against previous gens, whereas the previous gen probably won't improve.

Associate
Unfortunately no one bother making comparisons that far back because the chips were in such short supply. The best you can do is find 9.11(November)-10.3 with the average gain ~ 20-25%, someone actually posted some very nice graphs here :).

The 5770 was equal to the 4870 with drivers at the beginning of the year, it's long since passed it. If it wasn't quicker than ati wouldn't be selling many now would they? At 1680x1050 I count 45 fps in crysis, on high with the 10.3s (10.4 soon :D), sadly that old review never bothered trying the cards on high, although the 4870 does manage 44 fps it only does so on medium.

5770s are popular for a reason :)

Back
Top Bottom