DVD splitting...

Soldato
I need a little help if possible....

I have a DVD of home videos converted from an analog video camera as one whole movie, seperated into 1gb VOB files.

What I want to do is split the 'film' into seperate filmes of each 'scene'.

What software would I need for this, free if possible?
What else would I need to do this and upload some smaller films?

Associate
Best thing would be to 'rip' the DVD to your PC for starters , you'll end up with .vobs in a folder on your hard drive . You could however rip as avi or mpeg ,depending on your 'ripper' this will enable you to edit using a video editor . In terms of software , there's lots to choose from but FREE , that's another matter .
I use VideoReDo ,this actually edits .vob files and clip them as avi's or mpegs . Then I would use an editor to join the clips together . I use , Vegas ,Pinnacle9 and Serif Video Plus to edit ......................there cheap but not free .
No doubt , someone will mention Movie Maker , never used it , so cannot comment .

Soldato
I don't know about free, but VideoRedo TV Suite is perfect for this. It's normally used to edit Windows Media Center recordings, but it works with .vobs just as well.

There's a free trial, so give it a whirl. After your trial, if you do decide to buy, VideoRedo Plus is cheaper, but I've know idea how well it works. It looks to have the same basic functions.

The problem with Movie Maker is that if you plan to put the clips back onto DVD, then you're losing quality along the way as you'll have to encode twice (once to .wmv and then back to DVD format).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom