i5 750 @ 4GHz - 75°C max load OK?

Associate
I have my new Core i5 750 @ 4.0 GHz running 100% load under Prime95, and cooled with a Zalman CNPS9900 NT.

Max temp of any of the cores is 75°C - I am led to believe this is within the safe limts as a max, but wanted some more thoughts.

At idle, the temp is between 30°C and 35°C.

Thanks all :)

Soldato
Small tests just the cpu basicly.
Large does the same just with larger stuff and generally makes cpu run the hottest.
Blend tests everything cpu/memory/chipset and therefore is the cooler running of the 3 tests, and is the best real world test, I never even reach blend temps when im encoding or doing F@H.

So if you are only reaching 75/76c totally fine.

Associate
I would be ok with those temps too, you will probably find that they will be around 10ºC cooler whilst gaming.

I wouldn't like to have it running at the 75º 24/7 though that's for sure.

Associate
OP
Thanks all, I also suspect that for 95% of the time the PC is on, my usage will keep the cores below 45°C anyway. By the way, voltages are set to AUTO, VCore is 1.344V.

So, now that I'm pretty much up and running... what kind of gaming FPS improvements should I see over the stock 2.66GHz? Have moved from a Dual-Core E5200 @ 3.7GHz, so at least a little I hope.

Soldato
Try using LinX to test your CPU, make sure you set the No of thread's too 8, heat's your core's up a lot more than Prime95.

See my sig, gaming at 4.0 core temp's 55'c > 60'c, gaming at 4.2 core temp's 58'c > 64'c my room temp at the time was about 20'c > 21'c, doing everyday task,s core temp,s never goes above 44'c.

Nice overclock, but see if you can get your volt's down atad more it will help keep the temp's down..

Associate
Thanks all, I also suspect that for 95% of the time the PC is on, my usage will keep the cores below 45°C anyway. By the way, voltages are set to AUTO, VCore is 1.344V.

So, now that I'm pretty much up and running... what kind of gaming FPS improvements should I see over the stock 2.66GHz? Have moved from a Dual-Core E5200 @ 3.7GHz, so at least a little I hope.

i moved from [email protected] to sig actually seen upto 3 times the fps :)

Associate
OP
Settled on 1.312V - lowest voltage possible, whilst managing to maintain stability. Still, knocked my max load temps down by 5°C :)

Thanks for all of the help!

Associate
nice job, my cpu runs around 65-70c on prime but as said above when using the cpu for gaming it rarely passes 50c

I would suggest setting the other voltages to manual and finding the lowest too

Soldato
Hi sorry to hijack with such a noob question, but what are you guys monitoring temps with?

I've just got an i5 setup on a gigabyte UD5. Running at 4.0 (200x20) at the mo at 1.328 (reported by CPU-Z but 1.35 set in BIOS). Seems to be OK so far, but would really like to properly understand all the settings and the effect - i.e best to increase multiplier or FSB (yeah I know its not called FSB anymore:)), what level of load line calibration i should be on, what QPI volts, mem settings (have corsair XMS3 which supports 9,9,9,24 at 1600 according to its profile, and runs fine like that with the CPU at 3.2, but at 4.0 I have to turn down those timings to standard even thogh mem is still at 1600). Etc etc - any good threads to look at on here or decent guides?

Cheers,

Liam

Soldato
ok so same question what if you got to 84 degrees in prime - blend...to high?

i'm running at 4.0 at 1.3 volts with a venomous x and 2 apaches...

i have to tidy my case for airflow i know, but the heatsink moves around a bit still is that right?

Soldato
those temps seem high with the clock,voltage, and cooling. The heatsink should not move if tightened correctly.

For reference I get around 60-65c in prime95 blend at 4GHz 1.34V with a Cogage Arrow and 2 38mm slowspeed Yate Loons...this is in an Antec P182 which does not have ideal airflow IMO.

I've just helped a friend with a build and clocked his rig for him, just whacked in the same settings as my rig and it's stable...he is using a Zalman Flex cooler with some random 120mm case fan and getting temps just a few degrees warmer than mine....but he has a Coolermaster HAF something or other with really great airflow.

In any case I would remount the heatsink or tighten it a bit at the very least.

Back
Top Bottom