Autisic + Insomnia + Severe Migraines = Not Allowed to Drive???

Man of Honour
That's just not the case, its a bit like saying you're aware of being blind, but will eventually see. All the training in the world and my boy will never be able to concentrate on moving traffic correctly. His brain is just wired that way, he fixates on goals and targets. His brain filters things differently and excludes information, often vital. Its quite complex, but imagine it a bit like tunnel vision and he can't change that, its permanent. Whilst there are ways to work around it in daily living, it means that safe driving is never going to be an option.

Quite hard to make a condensed reply to this, I agree with what your saying and my original post was probably a little optimistic and as your probably very well aware theres many different levels of autism, aspergers, etc. and very many different progressions such conditions can have through a persons life. I do believe tho that as time goes on a large proportion of people with these conditions do become more aware of and better capable of dealing with the condition - to what degree is also varied. The guy I know from school had massive problems knowing what was and wasn't appropriate behavior as a kid, now approaching 30 he has become much more aware.

Man of Honour
I'm well aware of that, ASD is a spectrum disorder. I was going by the OP's description of his disability. Aspergers are high functioning and often don't suffer a lot of the cognitive dysfunction associated with typical Autism. In fact to the contrary you may even find that some people with Aspergers have brilliant auditory and visual perception.

They tend to be brilliant at a specific aspect, guy from school can do feats with dates, his "party" trick is telling someone (with 100% accuracy) what day they were born on from their DOB in an instance litterally <1 second later. I know another one who can glance at a page of text and then repeat it word for word (not a photographic memory tho).

AMG

AMG

Soldato
@ AMG and jahujames - Yeah thats true, but dont you have to have a provisional license to be able to do driving lessons? which would mean that i would still need them to say that i am allowed to learn to drive before i can actually do any lessons or anything

well thats a IF statement, and yes you do need a provisional, if DVLA will let you apply for a provisional and give ya one, that is the only problem at this moment in time. I m guessing it may help with a doctors statement(medical) whatever as well but its their choice at the end of the day. It may help your case.

Associate
shouldn't drive as other ppl shouldn't, bloke at work is diabetic and 1 night after work drove half way up the drive outta work and a top of hill turned car around and drove back down hill straight into bus.had black out and knew nothing of turning around or crashing! surprisingly nothing done... i shudder to think if he had got onto main road !

Man of Honour
Be careful with that; its media led carp and very disrispectful to people and parents of children with Autism.

The comment was on aspergers not autism and I know a couple of people with aspergers and this is their condition never mind the media view of it.

Soldato
The comment was on aspergers not autism and I know a couple of people with aspergers and this is their condition never mind the media view of it.

Still, to say people with Asperger's are skilled at one particular thing is a broad statement that is completely untrue. Your statement is essentially the same as me saying 'I have 2 dogs, both of which will go fetch my slippers when I tell them to'. Just because I have 2 dogs that can do this, doesn't mean all dogs can.

To the OP, I really don't think you should drive. Your lack of awareness when it comes to the dangers of the road will put all other road users at risk.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure of your point, sure they are capable of doing other things but the defining characteristic of their condition is that they tend to be dysfunctional in general compared to the established "normal" but brilliant at a specific aspect. Its not just the media view of them. Sure there are different levels and each individual handles it differently.

Soldato
I'm not sure of your point, sure they are capable of doing other things but the defining characteristic of their condition is that they tend to be dysfunctional in general compared to the established "normal" but brilliant at a specific aspect. Its not just the media view of them. Sure there are different levels and each individual handles it differently.

Sorry, what? Since when has everyone with Asperger's been brilliant at something?

People with Asperger's will often have an intense interest in something e.g. obsessed with trains or cars and this will lead to them knowing a lot about that particularly topic but that doesn't make them into the so called 'savant'.

http://www.nas.org.uk/asperger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/autism-aspergers/

It's because of the media's portrayal of ASD that people think they're all geniuses or something.

Man of Honour
Sure they aren't all geniuses at something but they will typically be very good at a specific thing whether through obsession or feats of mental ability.

Granted I've only met a small number of people that I know have the condition but as I mentioned above they all have something they are good at. One can do feats with numbers especially dates and the another can glance down a page of text - faster than you or I could even read it, and then repeat it back word for word correctly without referring back to it. (Its not a photographic memory as if you showed him a picture then asked what color something was in it he couldn't tell you).

Permabanned
Please don't drive.

You can apply for a free bus pass if you have any medical condition that you would be refused a driving license from. You need a letter of diagnosis, proof that the DVLA wont let you drive, and then fill in the form and post it off.

I still need to get one, I have vertigo / migraine / vision blackouts / cognitive dysfunction from Menieres Disease, but I get vertigo and feel like I'm going to collapse, pass out and die about 80% of the time I go in a bus or someone elses car as well so never bothered. The shortest time an attack ever lasted for was around 4 hours, and crossing roads = panic attack because I keep on nearly getting hit :x.

I really need a walking stick too, but I dont fall over too often, I have around 3-5 falls from it per year. And I walk into walls all the time in my own house when its dark, erm, and lampposts too :x (I cant even walk down a straight corridor of 6 steps to my room at night time, I need to cling onto the walls and walk really slow).

Its like being drunk and blind all the time but with perfect vision and no alcohol, just two failure ears. Putting me behind the wheel would be the same as telling someone to drive after having drunk 10 pints of beer.

Oh, and I cant party anymore, those things turn me into a crying wreck struggling to stay on feet like I'm fighting for my life. I just end up sitting down somewhere trying to fall asleep. Without any alcohol. And when I do fall asleep, I dream of falling or flying :x.

Last edited:
Associate
I am diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and tried to learn to drive but traffic and roundabouts and driving at night proved too difficult.

Every thing was ok when there were less things happening but on the bigger roundabouts the intructor always had to take control every time because I lost track of what was happening and where I was. I found out that there was no way that I could get a full licence because in some situations I would either concentrate on where I was going but lose track of what lane i should be in. Its like being distracted by too much happening at once. Every one experiences this when they start but it goes away usually but for me it did not.

There is no harm in trying and no one here should stop you trying the instructors are very highly trained to take control when there is a danger.

Soldato
i get several different types, some come on without any warning or anything others i can get severe pains around my head in several different locations, they feel like stabbing kind of pains and they last upto 20mins and then i just have the mingraine, with severe pains in the backs of my eyes, ear aches and the like.

I have suffered with insomnia my whole life i have been given Zoficone or something, the same thing my girlfriends step dad takes but he has double dosage and i took one of them and they didnt work either. so i might have to go on something stronger. theres not really any sort of connection between them - i have always slept badly and it hasnt ever gone away and come back or anything, just always had it

the thing about my Autism is that i cant use buses, unless i dont have anyone sat infront, beside or behind me as i get too paranoid and have to move, i get lost going to new places, dont like speaking to new people, dont like being in a crowded places or anything i think the key will be that i have no sense of safety - as in i dont think or anything when i cross roads and have been nearly run over on many times so thats kinda a worry - of course i am not going to lie or anything, i dont want to learn to drive if i think that i wont be able to handle it -the truth is i just dont know if i would

thanks for the info, i will consult my doctor about possible jaw thing coursing migraines, i am not too sure as my jaw has been fine my whole life til now, so i dont think it would be that otherwise it would surely have been hurting my whole life as my migraines have been for my whole life, plus my mum and sister suffers from them so could it be just one of them family things?

Im sorry but reading this I dont think you should drive. The 3rd paragraph also concerns me on how you will survive in an office enviroment.

the thing about my Autism is that i cant use buses, unless i dont have anyone sat infront, beside or behind me as i get too paranoid and have to move,

How will you cope in a busy office with people everywhere?

i get lost going to new places, dont like speaking to new people, dont like being in a crowded places or anything i think the key will be that i have no sense of safety - as in i dont think or anything when i cross roads and have been nearly run over on many times so thats kinda a worry

If your boss asks you to go and see a customer or a customer comes to see you, how will you cope? If you have no sense of safety then what will you do in a warehouse with fork lifts or when using ladders?

Im not meaning to be cruel or horrible to you and im shore you are a bright lad capable of lots of things but i think before you even start driving you should look at the bigger picture. Is IT for you, as most of the work is long hours and can be stressful. There are lots of charities which can help and sometimes speaking to your GP so he can get you intouch with the right people is a great idea. Maybe give driving a go, but before you put other users in danger please think very hard whether its for you.

Associate
Just send an application to the dvla with a note stating all the conditions you have, they will then send you questionnaires to fill out about your health, send them in they will then make a decision. They might ask for further detail like medical notes and so on but dont worry about that now.

Back
Top Bottom