Associate
I'm thinking of replacing my case fans and cpu fan with these:

Sharkoon Silent Eagle 1000 120mm - £12.99 x 4 = £51.96

OR

Scythe Gentle Typhoon D1225 C12B4AP-14 120mm - £14.99 x 4 = £59.96

+

Yate Loon 140mm Low Speed Silent Case Fan - D14SL-12 - £7.50 x 2 = £15.00

= Total of 66.96 or 74.96

But.. the price is going up a bit there... how much could I go for an ok watercooling system to cover cpu, and graphics min..

Any other motherboard or hard drive connections extra..
I can't really find a kit under £200 that fits a 1366 socket, anyone on costs?

Associate
If you're planning in wc both the CPU and GPU you'll be best off with a 120.3 radiator and an 18w pump to give you the option of wc a second GPU should you desire.
I don't think you're going to get anything for below £200. As a rough outline below are some rather generic costs:
18w Pump ~£70
CPU Block ~£35-60
GPU Block ~£40-70
Triple Rad ~£50-70

Then you'll need a reservoir (£25+) and about 10 barbs (another £20/30). Tubing (£5) and of course liquid. (~£10+)

Soldato
Only way to water-cool for anything like that is do a cpu-only setup with after-market cooling on the gpu. GPU blocks are dear.

But I don't see what you're doing with your air-cooling option. Why not do 6 Yate Loons? The Yate Loon 120mm fan is excellent if plain.

Associate
OP
I had just looked at reviews, and also yate loon's seem quiet, they don't seem all that powerful, hence choosing the above ones, yate loon's were only the best at 200mm, which I can't fit.

Caporegime
Yate Loons were too loud for me I went with the Noctua NFP-12's instead (using a triple rad).

I must say noise-wise watercooling was the best thing I ever did, I could never really get my components cooled sufficiently with air as quietly as I would have liked, best of both worlds now.

Associate
OP
Yate Loons were too loud for me I went with the Noctua NFP-12's instead (using a triple rad).

I must say noise-wise watercooling was the best thing I ever did, I could never really get my components cooled sufficiently with air as quietly as I would have liked, best of both worlds now.

Sounds good

I only really said about GPU cooling, because I thought it would be pointless getting a wc setup with cpu only, but my only problem is the cpu temps at load, my case fans are pretty weak, although pretty silent, the only noise comes from the hard drive, the gpu and cpu fans.

I could try a more powerful cpu fan only, but not sure.. maybe I could get 1 and see..

Associate
i like the sythe gentle typhoon(800 rpm)which im running as an exhaust fan at the rear at present but i might so some swopping about soon. like the quality and very low noise - moves a descent about of air for noise.

just bought an arctic cooler F9 pwm for a CPU fan conversion cheap price moves good air might be worth a look at the price about £6 for the f12 pwm or 3 pin. not quite as nicely built as the noctua or sharkoon but half the price.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Im currently using 2 x Arctic cooling F12's on my TRUE, current case fans are stock lian li fans, 2 x 140mm 1000 rpm intake, 2 x 120mm 1500 rpm exhausts. Ive decided to switch out the four of them for yate loons. Ive had sharkoon silent eagles, (2000 rpm and moular cabled se's) in the past, but they are expensive, my current Arctics cost 5 quid each, same for the yate loons, all 4 case fans will be on a zalman fan controller so noise wont be a problem.

Associate
OP
Case cooling may help but may not. It would help to know what your idle temps are...

I don't know how to get idle case temps, only cpu and gpu.. the reason I found the fans to be very weak is that I had to put my hands really close.. virtually touching the fans on both sides, to find a tiny difference in order to find which way the air was blowing.. unlike the cpu fan which you can feel out the other side of the heatsink, although I have seen other people improve the fenrir with noctua fans, and I know there are better than that again.

I have the CM storm scout stock fans, the back fan is weak, the front seems pretty weak, and it's far away from everything but HDD's so it doesn't affect the gpu and cpu, the fan at the top seems ok, and the hottest place in the case seems to be by the window where there are no fans at all, I could add some there, although it is only hot in the case really when on load for a little while.

The CPU cools down from about 85 to 45 the second I click stop on IBT or Prime (but from 80).

Here is my problem:

http://aaron146.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/screen1.jpg

http://aaron146.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/screen2.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Doesn't look like much of a problem!

So, what's the idle cpu temp? assume it's the low temp in your coretemp shot so low 40s. The High of 91 gives a pretty mammoth 50 degree delta but an i7 at 4.1GHz is going to be a furnace no matter what you do.

If the temperatures climb rapidly when under maximum load but then stabilise, your case cooling is able to keep up with the heat generation and is not really an issue. If the temperatures continue to rise then your case cooling is not able to keep up, in which case (sorry) better fans will help.

Associate
OP
Doesn't look like much of a problem!

So, what's the idle cpu temp? assume it's the low temp in your coretemp shot so low 40s. The High of 91 gives a pretty mammoth 50 degree delta but an i7 at 4.1GHz is going to be a furnace no matter what you do.

If the temperatures climb rapidly when under maximum load but then stabilise, your case cooling is able to keep up with the heat generation and is not really an issue. If the temperatures continue to rise then your case cooling is not able to keep up, in which case (sorry) better fans will help.

Thanks, still worth getting a more powerful CPU fan? then back case fan can blow air out of window, and current cpu fan can go on back, sound a good starting point for me?

I know it get's hot anyway, and it doesn't get any hotter than that, infact the fan's aren't on full, they are on smart fan set-up, the cpu fan only goes fast.. and loud, when 80+, then the CPU temp goes down due to a faster fan, but not all that much, a few degrees, so the max temp could be lower, but I prefer smart fan to loud pc, in games like crysis the temps can get up to mid 70's, I don't know if anything I will use it for will push the cpu more than that.

Soldato
One way to improve cooling is to ensure that the cpu gets first hand air. It looks like crap but I used to run a piece of ducting from the front fan to the cpu cooler and when I had an Alpha 8045 heatsink which was designed to suck air rather than blow was ducted straight to the rear exhaust.

Ducting is your answer.

Associate
OP
One way to improve cooling is to ensure that the cpu gets first hand air. It looks like crap but I used to run a piece of ducting from the front fan to the cpu cooler and when I had an Alpha 8045 heatsink which was designed to suck air rather than blow was ducted straight to the rear exhaust.

Ducting is your answer.

Sounds interesting, but hard with the HDD's mounted in the front of the case, sounds like I could easier turn the heatsink around, have air coming in the back, and into the cpu, and then out of the heatsink into.. the case, no other temps have a problem, gpu is under 80 on load OC'd.. but this is similar to how I had it before, and turning the heatsink around and the case fan as an exhaust fan helped temps a little bit, I was going to make the top fan blow air out instead of in, but it's providing a nice lot of cool air, it's the only one that does anything other than CPU IMO.

Soldato
Why turn the things around. Just put a duct between the heatsink and the exhaust fan so that all the heat from the pcu is immediately ejected from the case. A surprising amount of cpu heat is circulated within the case, re-heating the cpu next time around.

If the side case fan can go straight onto the cpu and then straight out the back, all the cpu heat is isolated from the rest of the components.

Associate
OP
Why turn the things around. Just put a duct between the heatsink and the exhaust fan so that all the heat from the pcu is immediately ejected from the case. A surprising amount of cpu heat is circulated within the case, re-heating the cpu next time around.

If the side case fan can go straight onto the cpu and then straight out the back, all the cpu heat is isolated from the rest of the components.

Thanks, that is a good idea, but what would I use to do it? After seeing the temps it can reach I'm thinking.. not a thin plastic..

Back
Top Bottom