Found a film SLR... What film?

Associate
I've just been rummaging around in my dad's "old tech" cupboard and stumbled on a Nikon F90 with a Nikkor AF 35-70mm f2.8 attached to it. :D

I've stuck some new batteries in it and it seems to work fine :cool:, but there's no film in it! There seem to be quite a few makes and types around, all with their various marketing stats, what's actually good? :confused:

Soldato
HP5 is to grainy for me at 400 ISO, I use Delta 100 or FP4...... Or use the XP2 which variable ISO, and develops in C41 colour chemistry (ie you high street store can do it).

Meh, I like it:) Can push it to 1600/3200 and get very usable results, it's very forgiving. Great for a beginner:) Most high street shops stock it as well. XP2 is a good shout though for quick processing...

Associate
OP
Yeah this camera is cool. The viewfinder is amazingly huge compared to my Sony a300...

Thanks for the info guys. I'll probably buy a few of the ones you've suggested and give them a go. Especially interested in some black and white action!

Really looking forward to seeing if I can cope without the ability to instantly review my shots too!:eek:

Associate
Nice lens too. ;)

I usually shoot HP5+ (gorgeous when pushed a stop), Tri-X and Plus-X for black and white. Haven't really explored the colour side of things, but I wanna try out Ektar 100.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It is a nice lens. Nice camera too, I picked up a F100 last year for the bargain price of £150 (it's as good as new). I think it's a worthwhile purchase for anyone who's got the lenses anyway, adds a new dimension and maybe force you to think about shots a bit more...

I've only shot Velvia 50 and 100 so far, mostly 100 though I've been meaning to get some 100F too for a look...

Back
Top Bottom